Hide
11 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crossroads Cards - App plays differently to cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
The rules seem to say that every part of a triggered Crossroads card must be read out so that players know what the consequences of their choice will be before they make it - but the official Crossroads cards app keeps this secret until after the choice is made - which obviously disadvantages the survivors.

Given this, what motivation do players have to use the app, since it makes the game harder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
The rules seem to say that every part of a triggered Crossroads card must be read out so that players know what the consequences of their choice will be before they make it - but the official Crossroads cards app keeps this secret until after the choice is made - which obviously disadvantages the survivors.

Given this, what motivation do players have to use the app, since it makes the game harder?

It makes the game more thematic since just like in real life you don't know exactly what the consequences of your choices will be.

It definitely makes the game harder but a large portion of the DoW community (including myself) prefers the suspense found in making the decisions this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
what motivation do players have to use the app, since it makes the game harder?
FUN …it's a pretty big motivator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
I find the game hard enough already so making it harder doesn't make it more fun - I like the way the App works though - Maybe I can house rule something to balance the added difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:

I honestly thought the way the app ran was the way the game was supposed to be played. You only read the top part of the card, giving options, but not revealing what the impact of the choices might be. I pulled out the rules, and sure enough, it says to read the entire card, including all text associated with the options.

It does change the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
KinginAmber wrote:

I honestly thought the way the app ran was the way the game was supposed to be played. You only read the top part of the card, giving options, but not revealing what the impact of the choices might be. I pulled out the rules, and sure enough, it says to read the entire card, including all text associated with the options.

It does change the game!

We always disregard those rules and play without revealing the consequences of choices. If a general vote is called for, the player holding the card does not get to vote.

These houserules are a must for me, in terms of theme immersion. And I don't think the crossroad cards trigger enough to really unbalance the game with these houserules. We never had a game tanking because of them so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the app had the ability to access/unlock the promo crossroads, we'd use it much more - it's brilliant.

Yeah, thats a house rule we use too, as there's only one or two sticky cards that can really knock down morale if you make a bum choice. Some pals like making a decision about whats best for the game and others prefer the morality questions. We always check with everyone before playing, what way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually use the app in the same way as the rules state -- just choose an option and read it out loud to everyone, then use the arrow button to go back and read the other option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So much better to play it like the app does. Theme is a strong part of this game and its much more realistic not to know the consequences until you've made the choice. Often the flavour text will give you hints, or you can infer stuff from it.

The one down side of this (which is why the original "read everything" rule was there) is that if anyone has played the game lots they may be able to remember the better choices therefore swinging the game in their favour/spoiling the theme a bit. If the entire card is read everyone has the same information. And as someone else has mentioned you can use the app for either play style, it was designed that way intentionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cool service that could have done with the app would have been to have a few different possibilities for each option so that even people that have played the card before wouldn't quite know what they were getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
A cool service that could have done with the app would have been to have a few different possibilities for each option so that even people that have played the card before wouldn't quite know what they were getting.

That would be cool, but would take so much longer due to all the extra time writing. Colby and Isaac have mentioned on the podcast a few times how long it takes them to write them. I'd much rather they focus on some way of sorting the promo cards, and more importantly getting the Long Night cards uploaded...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.