$30.00
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have created a digital version of the London Directory and put it up in a spreadsheet at Google Sheets.

My main purpose is to make it available as a tool for creating new cases, but having the data in this format also makes it much easier to check for errors and I've found quite a few, both minor and major mistakes.

It's also fun to run statistics, did you for example know that the most popular address is 100SW (from The Mansion Murders), followed by 34WC & 24NW? The least popular address is 65EC, where evidently nobody lives...

This is based on the 2nd edition directory from 1984. I'm not sure if Ystari made any changes to the directory and/or if they fixed any of the errors.

Among the mistakes I have found so far are:

* Conflicting addresses
Some places show up under different addresses depending on where you look. For example, the Lyceum theatre is listed as 4SW under the theatre category, but 18WC when listed under its name.

* No cross reference
Some locations are only listed under a category, and not under its name. Like the Bank of England and Cosmopolitan Hotel. Others are only listed alphabetically and not in the relevant category, for example Algate Station.

* Address shared with an ally
Some persons have the same address as an ally, which makes them impossible to visit. (Not really an issue if they are never encountered in the game, but still...)
Both Langdale Pike (2SW) & Mycroft Holmes (8SW) share their address with others for example.

* Misspellings
"Hoby & Gullock" instead of "Hoby & Gullick"
"Marshal & Snellgrove" instead of "Marshal & Snelgrove"

* Inconsistent spellings
"Sidley & Sons" or "Sidley & Son"?
"Mayall's" or "Mayall & Co"?

I have added all the errata details to a special comments section of the spreadsheet for easy updates. There I have also cross referenced the addresses of persons with separate office- and home-addresses, like doctors & barristers.

In addition, I have started to mark residential home addresses used in cases, so that case authors can avoid re-using a name. I haven't played all cases, so I would gladly accept updates to this!

Of course, any other feedback is welcome.

Some usage tips: The "Stats" sheet is a list of all addresses, sorted by population. This makes it easy to select an address for a character when you write a case and want to avoid placing it where it conflicts with a lot of others.
Under the Data menu -> Filter Views, you can select "Sorted by address" to view the entire directory sorted by address instead of alphabetically. Useful when checking who shares an address.
Selecting "Sorted by district" will get a list sorted by districts.

Explanation of the color coding:
green means an ally
red is a person appearing in a case
blue are addresses not on the map (districts S & E)
orange marks special addresses (like the ones marked in orange on the game map; Theatres, stations, hotels etc.)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is a great tool.

I know different cases can reuse specific locations and call them different names.

Did you fix the inconsistencies you found in the file or leave them?

I recommend fixing them, for example, post both names when there is different spelling, as one is not sure how it might be spelled in a case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
Did you fix the inconsistencies you found in the file or leave them?

At the moment I have only corrected the spelling mistakes but I plan on addressing all other issues.

One idea I have is to expand the directory with more names and businesses so there's a larger pool of characters to draw upon for future cases. It'd be pretty easy to make a script that would generate a couple of thousand new names and add those in with the originals.

Perhaps the end result can be released as a "3rd edition" directory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
great work! I think Asmodee should see this to fix the errors in their next reprints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
great work! I think Asmodee should see this to fix the errors in their next reprints.

Good thinking.
I hope they do this. Of course they also should do that fixes themselves...
But they also can block such initative - of course they shouldn't do it - such tool is useful for authors , and Asmodee AND players NEED new cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing job! Thank you very much for all the time you spend on this!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great.

I do wish the Address column were split so that one could sort by the section of the map and then the street number. I tried to split the cell but they were not of fixed width or delimited by a comma which then went beyond my skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Digital London directory with err ata
chris1nd wrote:
I do wish the Address column were split so that one could sort by the section of the map and then the street number.

No problems. I've added a new view sorted by district, you access it from Data -> Filter Views -> Sorted by district.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of the inconsistencies may be intentional, or could be used as a plot point or McGuffin.

Multiple people living at the same address can be explained easily by considering that they may be dormitories, shared living arrangements or split addresses such as 221A and 221B Baker Street.

The city locations are not always just a specific building, but could be a block of buildings that have many houses or apartments in them.

Two Addresses for the same Place could be a public offering and a management office.

I applaud the effort, but it is only when a case cannot be solved because of an inconsistency that I'd be concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The city locations are not always just a specific building, but could be a block of buildings that have many houses or apartments in them.
Spot on.

If you look at the map of Whitechapel included with the new expansion, you'll see, the directory 'addresses' cover a city block (or more). The new map uses an authentic ordinance map and adds locations onto it for the game.

I think Stefano Adriani utilized the multiple-people-one-address issue very well in his case, Murder Behind Closed Doors.

isketch wrote:
blue are addresses not on the map (districts S & E)

They're on a map now. And if people write fan-cases using E and S, they are welcome to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Multiple people living at the same address can be explained easily by considering that they may be dormitories, shared living arrangements or split addresses such as 221A and 221B Baker Street.

Absolutely. Pretty much every "address" is in reality a whole block or more. This is also pointed out in the rules. (I also made a custom map where this is easy to see.)

I only mention the persons sharing an address with an ally since the allies are always available in every case and therefore would "block" a visit to that person.

Remember, the main purpose for the list is as an aid when writing new cases. I don't think the errors I've found prevents any of the original cases from being solved. Such errors would have been found quickly. However, they could cause issues in future cases that rely on the directory.

So yes, if you're only playing the original cases, you don't need this update. But if you're interested in writing new cases, I hope it will be a valuable tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is odd that when I download and open in Excel, I can "unhide" the district column but it shows and error.

For example, C2 formula is =REGEXEXTRACT(B2, "[^0-9]+") which leads to an error display.

It sorts fine by the filter in Google docs though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
chris1nd wrote:
It is odd that when I download and open in Excel, I can "unhide" the district column but it shows and error.

I think this is caused by the REGEXEXTRACT formula, which Excel doesn't seem to support.

I'm sure it can be recreated with an Excel friendly formula, I just found it easiest to do with regex.

Edit: I did some searching and it appears that the recommended way to do the same task (splitting text & numbers) in Excel involves using the FIND() formula, explained here. Unfortunately, Google Sheets doesn't seem to support using FIND in this particular way (with arrays) so I can't use this method in my sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to sort in Google docs and then add a column that I could enter the District data, but it would not let me edit.

Perhaps you could make a second copy on Google docs and share it?

ookook123@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I tried to sort the "find" command you referenced and it proved beyond me. Or at least my equal.

Maybe someone else could manage and PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I tried to sort in Google docs and then add a column that I could enter the District data, but it would not let me edit.

The sharing options are set up so that you can't directly edit the master document, but you can make your own copy with full editing capabilities.

Use File -> Make a copy... to make your own copy of the sheet that you can edit.

Here's a link with images, showing how it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill McGuinness
United States
Lynn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this include the Paris Directory for West End Adventures???? {Oh GAWD PLEASE!!!}surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
billjazzer wrote:
Does this include the Paris Directory for West End Adventures?

No, this is just the London Directory (2nd edition from 1981).

I don't own West End Adventures, but I don't think it includes a Paris Directory... Are you thinking of Adventures by Gaslight? Which does take place in Paris. I don't have that one either but the contents doesn't list a Paris directory there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
Wow -- what a fantastic resource. I doff my hat to you, Sir, in respect in admiration.

If I ever do design my own cases -- and I've been thinking of doing so -- this will be absolutely invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.