Subject: Hold the line! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Swensen
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
In the third session played against my girlfriend, she once again proved herself to be a surprisingly tenacious opponent. We played the third scenario, and, having armed myself with strategies from BGG the night before, I was all prepared to march my way to victory. I occupied the hills in the center and mounted what I thought was an excellent defensive position.

Unfortunately, my aggressive nature got the best of me again, and I ended up coming down off the hills to try to exploit what I thought were weaknesses in her line. I tried to punch through with my cavalry, but failed on some bad rolls, and she promptly took my cavalry to bits. At the same time, she inflicted heavy casualties on my worthless Goblinoids.

The battle finally turned to my favor when I managed to break her line in two, unbolding critical units and taking both lines apart. One of my blue-banner footmen obliterated an enemy unit in a single awesome die roll -- she was not pleased -- until her heavy footmen came in and did the same to me, at which point you could probably hear her whoops of victory all the way down the street.

But, I'd managed to whittle several of her units down to nothing, and won by blasting the heck out of a hapless green archer unit. So I won... six to five. One more turn and she would have defeated me.

My gf really seems to love this game... fortunately for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't discount the Goblinoids too quickly. Used properly, they can be effective:
- They must remain bold as much as possible.
- Use the Goblin Rush at opportune times. Your opponent will likely forget about this ability.
- And, don't forget the very mobile Hobgoblin calvary. I actually won one game because my Hobgoblin calvary could chase down a one-figure unit that nobody else could catch. Also, held in reserve, they can ride seemingly from out of nowhere to provide support to broken lines.

My regular opponent doesn't like the Goblinoids, so I get a lot of practice with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Swensen
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, thanks very much for the tip -- I may try that next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.