Subject: Deception MIHK vs Saboteur or something else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I have one group of friends that meets 4 times a year for dinner and games. It's three other couples and us.

Half of them enjoy Werewolf type games and the other half of us think they are boring as its a lot of "I think he's the bad guy because, well just because." So I am looking into games that have a bit more structure to them. I thought The Resistance would do it, but it didn't work out as the loudest person still has a lot of influence.

Now I'm stuck between Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Saboteur. Which do you think might work best here? I want something that still has that feeling of trying to catch the bad guy/s, but with some more solid evidence involved.

For reference, this group loves Codenames (each couple bought it to play with family after we played at my house). We have also enjoyed CAH once, Taboo and Telestrations. Other games that were hit or miss were Wits & Wagers, Things... and Beyond Balderdash.

Thanks in advance friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Mafia de Cuba. I have a loud group that loved The Resistance, but they like this one even more, the primary reason that the loudest and best players who always won The Resistance - including myself - are terrible at this game. There's more going on in the social atmosphere with trying to sift through lies and apply deduction, and the one glimpse of evidence people get allows them to form some sort of real basis for their ideas while still having a lot of deception to see through. It's "smarter" than those first few turns of Werewolf right from the start. The fact that you can choose your role helps players get into this even more. Finally, while one player does by the rules dominate the discussion, games last only 10-15 minutes, which means you can cycle through who that person is several times in the space of a Resistance game. That way, quieter players who want more influence will surely get a chance at certain serious weight in the game as the only player who can actually force an action. I think it'd work perfectly for you. Personally, I can't recommend Saboteur, though - it easily becomes more about exploration than deception, and people lose sight of the true purpose of the game, while hiding as a saboteur is extremely hard - it's more about picking the right timing to start messing with people. I haven't played MIHK, but have heard good things about it, so that may work too, but Mafia de Cuba is an excellent quick experience that's all about social deduction - and BOTH parts of the term for once, not just the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Amont the two (which I both like), Deception is the most "There's some bad guy, we need to find him", and uses mainly deduction more than feelings. So that would be my first pick.

Saboteur is a good game, but it's more "fun" than deception. Deception can be played very seriously, but it's hard to be too serious in Saboteur. As I said, I love both games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks Eric and Julien.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
Ive played both. And as mentioned above i have to agree that saboteur is more fun and deception is more serious. If i have to pick one id go with deception,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.
I am also someone who found himself in a group that loved One Night Ultimate Werewolf and games of that ilk. However, I was really hoping that I could find games of that type that still had some actual gameplay and not just arguing (i.e. The Resistance)

Deception fit the bill perfectly and is now in my Top 10 games of all time.
Others that I would recommend are Salem 1692 and Dark Moon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've placed Decpetion on hold at the local store. I'll take a look at Salem too. Any ideas which of these has the most streamlined/easiest rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deception by far... It keeps getting better for me and has broken into my top ten games of all time as well.

Dark Moon also comes to mind for you... Both are keepers for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Update!

I purchased Deception a few days after this thread and finally got to play it last night. Played 5 times back to back and I think it most of us liked it.

Personally, I think I prefer being the Forensic Scientist. I think I was good at that (we won) and pretty bad as an Investigator. There were so many things that made sense I couldn't figure anything out! Perhaps if I get a chance for a game with fewer players.

Thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.