United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Usual Smug preamble
I'm kind of hoping that this will work and I actively seek a co-mod, because there's a fair amount of stuff at work in the game, and another person to discuss balancing with and keeping an eye on things is always helpful. This is intended as the first of a repeatable series of games, but I may evolve things based on how things go, so we'll see. No prior knowledge of Discworld will be necessary.

Basic structure of the game
17 Player, 11 Goods, 4 Wolves, 2 Auxes.
Alignment will, with the exception of Mr Slant, always be revealed on death, role normally will be (see Brutha).
Brutals are mandatory, no order means that the Brutal will hit a member of your team.
If a Vigilante is in play, their kill can be blocked by the BG or Martyr. The kill would be spent if this occurs.
Tough characters will not be informed if they lose their Tough.
Any actions that are blocked, targeted at Nanny Ogg, or done by the Bursar will return "No result".
Dusk at 3:30pm, night posting til 4:00pm, night orders due at 4:30pm, Dawn at some point ASAP after that.
Order of actions: Any blocks, Nobby's 'leprechaun', all other night powers except killing powers, killing powers.
Usual win conditions.
Mod reserves the right to make any judgement about necessary repercussions based on the usual incidents that may occur. I will do my utmost to be fair to all.

Conceit
There are 35 possible characters who can be in the game, so 18 of them will not be. I will randomise which of the characters are in the game, then will decide how best to balance the set from those characters. I will then randomise players to roles. I cannot guarantee an absolutely balanced game because of the inherent nature of randomly selecting 17 roles from 35 that all have powers, but I will be doing my best. Some characters will be guaranteed to be Good if in the game, this will be noted. All other characters can be Good or Evil.

The Auditors are the accountants of reality in the Discworld and do not like the freedom and chaos that humans (and other associated living (or undead) beings) operate in. These Auditors will take control of the 4 characters that have been made Wolves. They will have a Night Kill and a chat as well as their inherent powers. There are no other powers outside those listed below.

Characters
Lobsang Ludd - A master of controlling time, Lobsang can, once per game, extend the day by 30 minutes. Day order, must be set in mod chat prior to Dusk being called. (This will be announced, if used, at the same time as Dusk would be, so please pause posting at the normal Dusk time til you see an announcement.)

Rincewind - Rincewind is very good at escaping at the very moment danger approaches. Is Tough to one kill.

Lord Vetinari - A master politician, Vetinari is, each night from N1, able to nullify another players vote for a day.

Archchancellor Ridcully - Mustrum Ridcully is a noted Hunter when Good but is a Brutal Evil.

The Bursar - The Bursar has embraced insanity and misplaced his box of dried frog pills. If he's here, he'll think he's someone else, but will not have their powers. (The player drawing Bursar will be told they are another (random) character, guaranteed to not be in the game.)

Granny Weatherwax - An excellent judge of character, Granny will be a traditional Seer or Sorcerer, random negative on N0.

Nanny Ogg - With her ever potent supply of moonshine scumble, Nanny Ogg will make merry with anyone who tries to do anything to her, and the action will have no effect. (This excludes NK.)

Magrat Garlick - A traditional Witch, she is able to choose a target each night from N1 to block. Cannot block the same player on consecutive nights. Cannot block NK.

Tiffany Aching - The inheritor of Granny's role of leader of the witches, Tiff is also a traditional Seer or Sorcerer, random negative on N0.

Rob Anybody - A proud Nac Mac Feegle, Rob is a warrior. Chooses before dusk of D1 to either be Tough or Brutal.

Commander Sam Vimes - The head of the Watch, always knows what side someone is on. Alignment Seer/Sorcerer, random Good on N0.

Captain Carrot - The most pure-hearted man on the Disc. Cannot be lynched, will reveal as Carrot and survive if top of the tally at Dusk. Cannot be Evil.

Sergeant Angua - It's, perhaps, unfortunate for Angua that she's a Werewolf. Tinker. Cannot be Evil.

Sergeant Fred Colon - Always stirring something up, Fred is a Troublemaker. If Good, there will be two days with no night in between. If Evil, there will be another night phase immediately following the night the power is used (Goods will get to use powers that don't require a day phase on each night. Any that require a day phase fail on the first night.)

Corporal Nobby Nobbs - Another known rogue on the Watch, Nobby has a leprechaun action, and can target a player and shift their action (if relevant) up or down the alphabetical roster (at the start of the game) by 1 or 2 spaces as he wishes.

Sergeant Detritus - A troll, he is pretty Tough.

Igor - Igors are incredible surgeons, often saving people from a certain death. A Bodyguard. Cannot be Evil.

Mr Slant - Ankh Morpork's premier lawyer, he's also a zombie. Mr Slant will only lose his vote upon death and will continue to be able to post as normal. Alignment is not revealed if 'killed'.

DEATH - Death knows all. A full role Seer or Sorc, Death is not worried about whether you were Good or Evil, he just knows who you are. No N0, gets role name, not alignment.

Susan Sto Helit - Death's granddaughter (it's complicated), Susan largely finds employment as a Governess. She also genetically retains some power over life and death. Can change the lynch target once per game, must have an order in mod chat before Dusk.

DEATH OF RATS - The Death of Rats is an aspect of Death, not quite as powerful. He can only decide when you die. Vigilante. Vigilante kill is a NK only.

Lu-Tze - A humble sweeper, Lu-Tze can get in anywhere. Telepath, chooses a target each day to open a chat with, random N0, will show in chat as Lu-Tze.

Cohen the Barbarian - Another warrior, Cohen gets to choose if he's Tough or a Vigilante before the end of D1. Vigilante kill is a NK only.

Brutha - A Priest. If Brutha is in the game, the game becomes alignment reveal only on his death.

Agnes Nitt - Another Witch, able to block an action each night from N1. Cannot block the same player on consecutive nights. Cannot block NK.

The Librarian - An orang-utan. Can move remarkably quickly to stop people destroying things he loves. Normally books, but, sometimes, people. Martyr. Cannot be Evil.

Ponder Stibbons - A genius wizard with access to a super-computer of sorts, called Hex. Hex is remarkably accurate about the nature of things and so is able to tell whether a statement is true or false. Except when there is a ERROR +++MELON MELON MELON+++ OUT OF CHEESE and Hex gives the wrong answer. This only happens 10% of the time.

Adora Belle Dearheart - Not quite living up to her name, Adora Belle is a very strong minded woman. Brutal on death. Hunter. Cannot be Evil.

Foul Ole Ron - Ron is a homeless man with a smell that often arrives before him. Because he is out at night, Ron is a Witness to any (and all) night actions on his target, being given the name of any player (not character) that did something. He will only be given the name of the Auditor who set the kill, if he views a NK. If the Auditor who set the kill has died before the NK takes place, he will be given the name of a random Auditor. Sadly, Ron's not entirely clear-headed, so will not know what the actions were.

C.M.O.T Dibbler - Dibbler will turn up and try and sell a sausage to anyone at any time, and that's cutting his own throat. Telepath, chooses a target each day to open a chat with, random N0. Will show in chat as Dibbler.

William De Worde - The editor and publisher of The Ankh Morpork Times. William can send a message that will be broadcast to the thread each day in the same post as Dawn.

Mrs Cake - Mrs Cake has the remarkable power of precognition, often knowing in advance what will happen. Mrs Cake will learn the current target(s) of any night kill at Dusk each day (the targets can be changed subsequently).

Gaspode - Gaspode is a dog. Gaspode is a dog who can talk. Nobody believes in dogs that can talk though. Gaspode can send 1 message per night to another player from N1 via the mod. Cannot claim or hint as to their identity.

Moist Von Lipwig - Moist has a remarkable ability to be seen by people just how he wants to be. Will always return a same team/clear view to any view, will view as Moist to Full Role Seer/Sorc.

Feel free to ask any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
annab
AnneAa
BerenCamlost
BlackSheep
doppio
FaleohFang
JaredW25
kara_thrace
kendahlj
monogarden
nolemonplease
PaperF
pilotbob
RoyalApe
Syntax3rror
Vanderscamp
WolfParade

17 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1637...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nokillyet
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've of notional persuasion that I hear its distant cry, and they're never very far away...
badge
... no, they're never very far away!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't get someone like LJ to co-mod with you, sign me up. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wyles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to co-mod since I don't tend to handle games of this ilk well when I play them heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wyles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I think better is definitely subjective and I'm sure Smug wouldn't mind more than one co-mod! Where I tend to excel is unlikely to be anything to do with mechanics and balance and things like that, I'm more of a water carrier so to speak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I can help if you like. It's a fair bet I won't play, but I can actively help as a co-mod or behind the scenes with feedback. Shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would love to help mod something like this (it's been quite a while since I last modded, period), but my schedule severely impinges on my ability to timely participate at least 2 days a week. Good luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifications (and I'll include these in the main post later)

Any actions that are blocked, targeted at Nanny Ogg, or done by the Bursar will return "No result".

Because Mr Slant cannot die, his alignment will never be revealed. However, he is not impervious to views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your kind offers, I'll see who is free when we fill up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nokillyet
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've of notional persuasion that I hear its distant cry, and they're never very far away...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
Thanks for all your kind offers, I'll see who is free when we fill up

If you have Ling or LJ, it'd be strictly better for me to just sign up to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
linguistfromhell wrote:
I can help if you like. It's a fair bet I won't play, but I can actively help as a co-mod or behind the scenes with feedback. Shrug.

I'll start with a down payment of open feedback:

Your rules are fun, but I would make some amendments / clarifications.

1. You should clarify that Ludd needs to make his order in modchat. Ditto the other role that can change the lynch.

2. Bursar should be reworded. You have "will not have their powers". If you really want the player to think they are the other role, you should specify something like "will have any relevant game order, but those orders will always return 'no result' or will otherwise act as though blocked." Otherwise, if I see that I'm Dibbler (for example), but I have no chat order, I know immediately that I'm the Bursar, foiling the role's intent.

3. Both witches should have the qualifier that they cannot target the same player on consecutive nights, or that player will be _way_ overpowered. (Speaking from experience). You may also want to qualify what happens if they block a wolf (like, will it stop the nk if they block the last wolf [probably] or if they block the wolf who put in the order [probably not] or something else).

4. May want to rephrase Anybody's description from "on d1" to "before dusk of D1".

5. No apostrophe in surgeons or in Igors.

6. Technically, Lu-Tze is a telepath. You should probably specify "may make an aliased (or 'anonymous') chat", unless you're going to id the player in the chat.

7. Cohen. See Anybody's comment, above. Also! You should reword the vk description to "standard night order" vice "nk" unless you want the bodyguards/martyrs to be able to block the VK.

8. Dibbler. See Lu-Tze's comment, above.

9. Due to the possibility of Ms. Cake being in the game, you should specify in the rules that wolves always have to provide NK orders prior to Dusk. Otherwise you provide meta information to the max evils.

9a. You should also specify in the rules whether or not night posting is allowed.

10. May want to add to Gaspode's role to say something like "may transmit one message to another player via the mod." It's a no duh comment to experienced players, but it's still worth saying.

11. You should specify whether or not brutals are mandatory (whether that's universal or on a case-by-case basis is up to you).

Don't take this negatively. I've been beaten up enough that I've gotten pedantic about rules. I really enjoyed your reasoning and the ability descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
12. You should also spell out how the leprechaun works. Does he target a player, and any actions by that player are shifted? Or does he target a player and every action that targets that player is shifted?

FYSA - if it's the latter and there's a bodyguard and a leprechaun, you might have to play cheerleader to the wolves, since the two of them working together can literally shut down a wolf pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this can be an inverse game. 17 moderators and 1 player. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the feedback, Ling, as a person who does not run a tight ship, it's often needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Smugvid wrote:
Really appreciate the feedback, Ling, as a person who does not run a tight ship, it's often needed

Your ship is fine.

I've just been pestered and poked to death over "vague" rules in the past. There's no reason you can't benefit from my experience. Unless you think it's stupid or irrelevant, like some other people. Then there isn't much of a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ryan
United States
Lee's Summit
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Discworld, love your take on the characters as werewolf roles... selfishly hope that this doesn't run until I have some time to play in it! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
jimryan1 wrote:
Love Discworld, love your take on the characters as werewolf roles... selfishly hope that this doesn't run until I have some time to play in it! whistle

If this is even halfway successful, I'm hoping it can be reduxed occasionally, so don't worry if you miss out, the Auditors will surely keep trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld??!?!!
IN!!! *

*Disclaimer: Unless this runs Oct 13-17, in which case I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, annab!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
*shrug*
looks like TFang is in to play, maybe I'll give it a try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiwi13cubed wrote:
*shrug*
looks like TFang is in to play, maybe I'll give it a try?

Tfang is out if we start next week if that makes a difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet played a good special in an online game, and dusk is at the crack of dawn for me, so this could be something I live (or not) to regret.

But this looks all kinds of fun, so I'm in if nobody objects ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nokillyet
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doppio wrote:
Not yet played a good special in an online game, and dusk is at the crack of dawn for me, so this could be something I live (or not) to regret.

We do our best to route around lynch times, no one will object, Doppio.

You might have to claim before going to bed if things seem dicey or find yourself the target of a weird runup, but if you can take that stuff in stride, you'll do fine. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
doppio wrote:

You might have to claim before going to bed if things seem dicey or find yourself the target of a weird runup, but if you can take that stuff in stride, you'll do fine. =)

Thanks TFang. This might also be part of a cunning plan to manipulate myself into getting up earlier in the morning ...

But one day ... maybe one day we Antipodeans are going to find ourselves in a majority in a game and run all of the rest of you up over night for a change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wyles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
doppio wrote:
TFang wrote:
doppio wrote:

Thanks TFang. This might also be part of a cunning plan to manipulate myself into getting up earlier in the morning ...

But one day ... maybe one day we Antipodeans are going to find ourselves in a majority in a game and run all of the rest of you up over night for a change

ninjaAt some point soon, I hope to run a game that has a lynch time of 5AM BGG time!ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [80] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.