GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and two friends are currently designing our first game which will launch on Kickstarter later this year. Before then we are hoping that we can get some feed back on our colour choices for the cards and if they will be a problem for colour blind people. Any and all feedback is welcome.

The origonal design was this:

However after your comment i have made these 3 mock ups (will get our artist to do a better job once we have decided on a style), could you guys give us your opinions on which is most readable please?

The text on the furthest right card is going to be made bigger just so you guys know and are missing little bits of artwork and content, but about 90% done.

For those interested the game is https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206903/its-just-theory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Are these cards colour blind friendly?
You can upload images here http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php
or here http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simula...
and check them against different types of colour blindness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, i will upload them and see what they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they're not very friendly even to those of us with full-color vision. The black text on medium-dark background on the left bar is just too low contrast to read easily, and the colors are too dark to provide obvious contrast between each other. I'd switch to lighter, more vibrant colors, or at least switch the text from black to white, or possibly make use of a white outline to get it to stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding simple Icons always makes things color blind friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They looked OK on my monitor- but I have color adjustments to compensate for my color issues.

The black text is difficult to read- a white border should add sufficient contrast to help.

The "better" question- what are the colors SUPPOSED to be? If you refer to one color as "red" and I see it differently, then you'll have problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I'd say they're not very friendly even to those of us with full-color vision. The black text on medium-dark background on the left bar is just too low contrast to read easily, and the colors are too dark to provide obvious contrast between each other. I'd switch to lighter, more vibrant colors, or at least switch the text from black to white, or possibly make use of a white outline to get it to stand out.

Totally agree.

Also, color-blind friendly could incorporate symbols linked to each color. Look at Ticket to Ride, each color has a discreet symbol on both the card and the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the comments i will will try out your ideas. Thank you. I will try and post back with an improved mock up later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The vertical text is to help identify the cards in addition to there different colours. The 3 types of card in my game are conspiracy, fact and propaganda. I will try improving the visibility of this text and post more images. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your comments.

The colour of the cards should be Green, Blue and mauve(So basically red).

I will try putting a boarder round the text and post back in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,I'm red/ green colour blind. The image on the left and middle look fine to me. But the colour choice on the right blends into each other. (Looks brown to me, but is probably red??)
Good luck with your game. Any teasers??

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless red and green are thematically essential, I would avoid those two colours altogether. Red/green colour blindness is the most common on the planet. Use one by all means. But both is asking for trouble.

Try blue, orange, green. Or purple/yellow/white. While blue yellow C/B is out there, there remains a significant contrast shift which means they can still be distinguished. In fact keep tonal contrasts high as a general rule. That third card (red?) is diabolical.

And as has been suggested several times, the use of a clear symbol as well as the colour can go a long way. But make them clear and relevant. While TTR symbols are good, I still get them confused at times. And others are much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laughing Lizard wrote:

The text on the furthest right card is going to be made bigger just so you guys know and are missing little bits of artwork and content, but about 90% done.

Why have the color go border to border? Why not just 1/3 and have the text and symbol next to it? Then you can have your three items with "conspiracy" being the bottom 1/3, "facts" the middle 1/3, whatever that last one is being the top 1/3. Like the 1/3 cut file folders... Then the words & symbol will always be on a plain background, with just a simple bar of color.

Probably not explaining it well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback, It is meant to be red. We are currently working on a better set of colours and will post again on BGG to get peoples opinions.

Sadly we have yet to film any videos or anything exciting like that yet. We have a BGG page for It's Just A Theory and a twitter https://twitter.com/JustATheoryGame you can follow more information.

We plan to post more details on BGG once the art work is finished. So watch this space hopefully over the next month we will be able to give you more information.

Thank you for the luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not thematically essential, We are currently trying out the colour combinations you suggested, we will hopefully post another mock up over the next few days.

Thank you for your suggestions they are much appreciated and very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, we had a play around with the concept a while ago but did not think about having it like a 1/3 cut file folder. We are going to play around with that idea and the others in the thread. Hopefully we will have something to show you guys soon.

thank you for you ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.