Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord is Reaper Miniature's foray into miniature wargaming. Reaper was already well known throughout the miniatures industry for providing incredibly detailed models at very reasonable prices. Building off of this recipe, they launced a gaming system called RAGE (Reaper Adventure Game Engine) and released two seperate games under this ruleset: Warlord and CAV. CAV fills the sci-fi slot while Warlord occupies the fantasy slot.

What makes Warlord different than other miniature wargames?
One of the key points of Warlord is that is truly the only miniature game system that is affordable. The Deluxe Starter box gives you 2 different 600 point armies as well as a hard-bound rulebook. This is enought to get started and costs around $50.00. Another $50.00 will give you a full complement of about 1000 points on each side. That gives you 2 full armies and a hardcover rulebook for only $100. Additionally, Reaper publishes all their errata and updates on their website for free download. There is no need to constantly buy magazines or rewritten army books every 6 months.

Another key difference between Warlord and some of the more well known miniatures games is the datacards. Each figure in Warlord has a card which lists all the appropriate information for that model. Again, you don't need a pile of army books, just the data cards which come in the packs with the models.

Warlord is a skirmish style game. What this basically boils down to is that there will be less models on the table than a typical 40K game. However, these models operate much more independently giving you greater control over individual figures. This leads to a much more wide-open playing style overall.

The biggest difference a seasoned mini-gamer will notice is the startling lack of d6s. There aren't any in this game. Warlord uses a d10. This is a great change. The d10 allows for a much broader range of attribute scores than a standard d6.

So what's the gameplay like?
Very simple and fluid. Each model has 2 actions per turn. A model can make the following combinations of actions:

1 movement and 1 combat action
2 movements
1 movement and 1 special action

Combat actions include ranged and melee attacks, spell casting, and invoking Special Abilities. Special actions include things like carrying large objects, knocking down doors, jumping large distances, etc.

Each model's datacard has a MOV rating. Thats how far a model can move per action.

Combat is resolved very simply. Compare the attacking model's MAV(Melee Attack Value) or RAV(Ranged Attack Value) + d10 to the defending model's DV(Defense Value). If the attacker's total is higher, a hit is suffered. The same basic idea follows through to magic, only the name of the values is changed. The caster compare's his CP(Casting Proficienc) + d10 to the targets MD(Magic Defense). Again, if the caster's total is higher, the spell is successful. If casting a non-combat spell on a friendly model, such as a healing spell, the caster adds d10 to his CP and compares it to 10.

Models have numerous damage tracks. A model starts at 0 damage with full stats. As a model takes damage, the stats decrease until eventually it takes fatal damage and is then (generally) removed from the board.

Activation is determined by a deck of regular playing cards. Each player gets 1 card for each troop. These cards are shuffled together and randomly drawn. When your suit comes up, you can activate all your models in any one troop you control.

How do I win?
That depends. Warlord, like most miniature wargames, allows you to play an endless variety of scenarios. Most beginners play a "kill 'em all" scenario where the last man standing wins. As you gain experience, your possibilities become endless.

How long does a game take?
This also depends on several factors such as army points, scenario, skill level, and experience.

Is Warlord for me?

If you've ever though miniature wargames looked interesting but were put off by the huge investment, then yes, Warlord is exactly what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a game that plays faster than some of your more well-known miniature wargames, then yes, Warlord is exactly what you're looking for.

If you want a miniature wargame thats easy to teach, with simple rules that allow for a lot of strategy, then yes, Warlord is exactly what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which other miniature games have you played? I'm curious with any comparative review what the bar is, but you haven't yet rated any mini games other than Warlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a bit of 40K and FB. I have a lot of friends who play 40K and FB so I've gotten to sit in on some games. I haven't rated any other mini games yet because I don't actively play any others. But I certainly did my research on what game to play before buying it. I hope you're not questioning the sincerity of my review just because I haven't reviewed any others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
I've played a bit of 40K and FB. I have a lot of friends who play 40K and FB so I've gotten to sit in on some games. I haven't rated any other mini games yet because I don't actively play any others. But I certainly did my research on what game to play before buying it. I hope you're not questioning the sincerity of my review just because I haven't reviewed any others.

I'm certainly not questioning the sincerity. I'm doing a personal evaluation of the value of the review vis-a-vis my interests and expectations. Someone can be completely sincere, yet not review a game in a way I personally find useful. It happens.

By way of example, you cite the datacards as a distinguishing factor for Warlord. Of the top of my head, I can think of several games that already used that, from the current Star Wars and D&D Miniatures games all the way back to the original Space Marine (epic-scale, not 40K) set from Games Workshop (not to mention the integrated stats of Clix games). Similarly, you cite the trait of not using six-sided dice as a big switch, but I have a shelf full of mini games that use six-siders, ten-siders, twenty-siders, and even a full set of polyhedra (Dirtside II is an example of that last option).

This kind of thing made me wonder if you'd played a lot of other games, or not, so I asked (after checking for reviews). I'd be really interested to know, for example, if you'd played other games with similar activation mechanics and thought Warlord pulled it off better -- or if this is the first time you've encountered that system. Reviewers don't always think to mention that kind of thing, but it's helpful to know.

But again, that just has to do with me figuring out if your review works for me. I'm glad you're stoked about Warlord, and whether or not you have a broad range of experience with other mini games, you gave a review that clearly explains the gameplay and what you like about it.

That's a good review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.