Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Steffey
United States
Fort Wayne
In
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So here's a question that I've not seen raised anywhere yet:

This game has a LOT of expansions. If you're looking to jump into the game and maybe an expansion or two, which expansions are the best to start with? Do you feel there's an order in which they should be played? If not, which expansions are just so awesome that I shouldn't wait for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse. And if you're not sure about any of the other boxes, dice.

The rest are variations on existing content. The hero boxes include additional heroes, acolytes, tiles, and hero dice. The additional tiles will mean alternate map configurations, but you'll still use the same base scenarios included in the core.

The additional sins will give you another sin and more sin dice, but that's just another choice for the sin player.

The Apocalypse box will give the Sin player a different way to play different than the normal sins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phew... this one's a hard one.

Okay, so the base box provides, what I believe, to be enough variety to sustain the life of the game (in terms of 'freshness') for about the same amount of time as any other respectable scenario-based game.

Having said that, what you're looking for in variety will dictate your answer.

What I noticed was that the first thing that got stale to me was the heroes. Same group of seven every time. The best solution I could offer for this would be the Beta, Gamma, or Delta Team boxes. Depending on when they release at retail and when you're aching to snap one up, you might just choose the first one to be made available. If the choice was mine, however, I would go with Gamma. It's a nicely rounded spread of characters, a couple solid groups of Acolytes and more tiles and upgrades to mix things up.

As far as expanding in the Sins direction, that's purely a matter of flavor preference. Which Sin (other than Sloth and Pride) appeals to you the most? They're all fairly even in terms of game effects.

My advice is to skip Apocalypse until you feel like the core game is played out. But that's just me.

In the end, I recommend whichever of the three retail-available Team boxes speaks to you. It'll vary up the heroes and scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:

The rest are variations on existing content. The hero boxes include additional heroes, acolytes, tiles, and hero dice. The additional tiles will mean alternate map configurations, but you'll still use the same base scenarios included in the core.

The additional sins will give you another sin and more sin dice, but that's just another choice for the sin player.

The Apocalypse box will give the Sin player a different way to play different than the normal sins.

agreed! 100% adds more and different things at similar price point to ones that are 'just more heroes' or just more villans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
While Apocalypse has the most dramatic miniatures of ever, I mostly agree with Jordan's advice:

1. Get a team box. Extra heroes, a few new boards and a new acolyte type. This is strong variety.

2. Get a Sin box. Complements the variety of the team box for maximum impact.

3. Repeat the 1-2 cycle from above.

4. Only then would I look at Apocalypse. While it does provide new gameplay options, they are somewhat simple and direct: kill giant monsters before you die is the order of the day here. Get more variety in the normal game before you go to this, which feels like a variant for those who have done the base game to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:

I agree with this, you can just proxy most of the heroes, and other sins, since when you're playing you wont be able to notice the difference too much. The apocolypse expansion gives you a new game mechanic and a new way to play.

However if you're not a big fan of proxying I would suggest one of the Hero boxes with acolytes, tiles, and new heroes, and 1 of the sins gluttony/wrath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'd agree that an additional hero box will give you the most variety if you're just getting one box. The sin boxes will help, but there is already some sin variety in the base box, and unless you're exclusively playing 2 players, people are going to be playing the heroes more often than the sins. With 5 players, you could play 10 games before anyone needs to play the same sin twice (if you rotate it so that each player is the sin 1 out of 5 games). The new hero boxes add more heroes, map tiles, acolytes, and upgrade cards.

Apocalypse is cool, but in my mind (unless you're a painter or just love having huge miniatures) that would be a better upgrade for people who have already played the game a bunch. Considering the game already has 7 scenarios, adding one additional won't do a ton, and there aren't any new heroes, so the variety for the hero players is still 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.