United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current Banner image for Vast is fine, but its based on a photo shoot we did over a year ago with a non-production set. The tiles are made out of foam core and cut with very little grace.

What do you folks think up thumbing one of the following up so that it becomes the new image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of the first one, but feel like it's a bit confusing (the Dragon is Surfaced, but it either decided to move past the Entrance for some last minute exploring, or forgot to shatter the Crystal token as it came out of the Crystal tile).

Pretty minor, but as you've seen with the play video / sample game, any inconsistency in "official" materials will add to confusion.

I like that the current Banner image shows no only the board, but also at least one player mat, cubes, and cards. Vast is a more complex game than just tiles and player markers, and I feel the banner should represent that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
I like the concept of the first one, but feel like it's a bit confusing (the Dragon is Surfaced, but it either decided to move past the Entrance for some last minute exploring, or forgot to shatter the Crystal token as it came out of the Crystal tile).
In that picture, the Dragon was awake but not surfaced yet. That crystal is where it was headed so it could break out to the surface, but it came up one move short on that turn, which gave the Goblins just enough time to move in for the kill. (It was Goblins vs. Dragon 2-player game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
In that picture, the Dragon was awake but not surfaced yet. That crystal is where it was headed so it could break out to the surface, but it came up one move short on that turn, which gave the Goblins just enough time to move in for the kill. (It was Goblins vs. Dragon 2-player game.)

Sorry, you're totally right (I'll edit my previous post). I've generally been playing (while acknowledging that it's not the "official" way) that the standing marker represents Surfaced instead of Awake.

In my mind, the crouched marker looks like something crawling through tunnels underground, while being above ground lets the dragon extend to its full height.

Plus, Surfaced vs Unsurfaced has significant game mechanics differences that affect both the Dragon and other players (walls are no long ignored, can't move on dark tiles, and can be attacked multiple times), while the only difference between Awake and Unawake is that an Awake Dragon may surface (which doesn't affect mechanics at all, and since it becomes the immediate goal it's kind of hard to forget).
Using markers to show Surfaced acts as a visual indicator, since a "standing" marker should never be found sitting on a Dark tile or be allowed to pass through a wall, while a "crouched" marker can. Likewise, the Knight may not enter a tile with a "standing" dragon without sufficient strength, but can with a "crouched" dragon.

To maintain the original intent of indicating Awakening (and prevent post-awakening loss of cubes from confusing people), I've started used a laying down crouched marker to represent unawake, an upright crouched marker to represent awake but unsurfaced, and the standing marker to represent fully surfaced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took away mythumbsup for box cover image.
Think the first one is the best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
Think the first one is the best

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this looks better. Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

Much better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

Indeed thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.