Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a situation came up in a game last night which kind of felt like cheating, but if it was against the rules I couldn't find it.

Two of my target words were Superhero and Fork. The clue I gave was spoon - two. But I didn't say "spoon". I said "Spoooooooooon!"

(For those of you don't get the reference, Spoon is the catch phrase for The Tick, an outside the mainstream superhero.)

So, was this legal? My partner would not likely have made the connection had I said the word plainly. It felt like a cheat, but I wasn't able to find anything in the manual prohibiting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule against it. Spymasters aren't allowed to give any hints outside the clues themselves, and this absolutely would break the spirit of that if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but you could spell the word.

Ess, pee, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh ...

I can't remember whether or not Codenames requires clues to be actual words. I'd say that would be the crux of the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Max points out, it's probably not allowed, but not sure I would call foul if I was playing in that game. We tend not to be overly punishing if spymasters make mistakes as some layouts can be more difficult than the other teams. (I remember one where I was having trouble connecting 2 words and my husband was on the other team giving 4 & 5 word clues (eek!)).

I think I would ask my fellow spymaster if they would allow it and if they did, than by all means go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't 100% remember if the clue has to be a "real" word. In my opinion, if you can write it down, then it's all good. So no funny voices, accents, knowing looks etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
I think I would ask my fellow spymaster if they would allow it and if they did, than by all means go for it.

I think the difficulty here is that the opposing spymaster is not into comic book culture. She did not understand the meaning of the clue or what I was doing when I gave it. She wouldn't have been able to evaluate the "fairness" of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

I think the difficulty here is that the opposing spymaster is not into comic book culture. She did not understand the meaning of the clue or what I was doing when I gave it. She wouldn't have been able to evaluate the "fairness" of it.

Surely not an issue? Either she cares about inflection and/or whether or not "real" words are used, or she doesn't. Asking the opposing spymaster should always be the default thing to do if you are unsure about a clue, and that is the case regardless of any dry debate about what is or isn't a "valid clue".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about this the other day when we played, but since there was no obvious prohibition in the rules, we went ahead with it.

The clue I used was "Opa! 2" with the emphasis to indicate a Greek celebration rather than a grandfather. My team guessed both words: Dance and China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe dagostino
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it felt like a cheat, then what is the question? Don't do it. When in doubt, don't do it. Save it for later as something to enjoy discussing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were the opposing Spy Master, I would say these clues are invalid. You're supposed to say a word and a number, not act it - this is Codewords, not Charades.

That said, as others have already said, the game should be played however you want as it's primarily a party game. This is even called out (or heavily hinted at) in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
I can't 100% remember if the clue has to be a "real" word.

They do. But it's been discussed in other threads that "real fake" words are legal, like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Jabberwocky on account of them being proper nouns. I don't think spoooooon qualifies, though, as it's not really a "real fake" word or proper noun, but just a different way of pronouncing a real word (which isn't allowed by the letter of the law in the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a fun game, I might groan and whine about it, but it wouldn't destroy any friendships.

suppose the game were played where ONLY inflected/accented rules were allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of clue is mentioned more explicitly in the rulebook for Codenames: Pictures.

Quote:
Singing, funny accents, and foreign words are generally not allowed, unless your group decides they are okay. Just remember that using a French accent to give a clue for a picture of the Eiffel Tower is only clever once.

Since the clue rules for Pictures are almost identical to the ones in the original game but slightly MORE permissive in places, I have to assume this means they would have put this rule in the original rulebook if they had thought of it. So I would say no to the Tick clue unless we'd agreed beforehand that 'acting' clues were okay. (And I'd be opposed to it when discussing beforehand because I don't think it's fun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously the correct clue for that pair would be "Blue Rajah - 2"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy the challenge of delivering my clues as dryly as possible. I am a goofy, expressive guy, so the constraint is a different experience.

I have mastered not giving anything away when my wife talks my son out of guessing correctly. Unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Emphasis/accenting of a word is an additional clue, same goes with gestures/facial expressions. Not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have an official ruling then? Seems like all the responses are just house rules opinions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.