15 Posts

Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: An update to Catacombs 3rd Ed. 3.5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Breese
msg tools
Hi all,

Elzra posted in the comments section about the updates of the reprint of Catacombs 3rd ed.

From the comments:

Quote:
Catacombs Third Edition has to be set up again for the new printer, so it is an opportunity to make some improvements. It is expected to include the updated version of the manual. Further, it is expected to add a few additional cards (mainly "low value" poison ones) as we can add a few more "for free" to a single print sheet. It is expected to include our improved barrier wall system. We are expecting to migrate to thick die-cut gold and platinum coins with new artwork from Kwanchai on both faces. This will hopefully improve our error rate related to missing pieces. The layout of the sequence of the Gel. Cube monster card has been significantly improved. Finally, the stun modifier is expected to be implemented differently (think Rush only instead of miss a turn). Finally, I'm looking at a vacuum formed tray, though no promises on that yet. All of the above subject to change, but hopefully that helps.

So, it looks like there will be some minor improvements in bound! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Kickstarter backers get any of these updates/improvements? Is there an update package?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
It's a new print run with a different printer. I don't think the impact is large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The layout of the sequence of the Gel. Cube monster card has been significantly improved.

Does anybody know what this means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekar wrote:
Quote:
The layout of the sequence of the Gel. Cube monster card has been significantly improved.

I assume it means the visual representation of the shot sequence for the Gelatinous Cube has been changed/improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Tekar wrote:
Quote:

I assume it means the visual representation of the shot sequence for the Gelatinous Cube has been changed/improved.

That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Will the updated rulebook and cards be available to retailers? Also how many changes are made to the cards? From what I see so far its the cube card and a few poisons. Is there anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, is there a digital version of the new rulebook posted for free or being posted? Thinking I would rather not pay almost $7 usd (after currency conversion)for a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
Also, is there a digital version of the new rulebook posted for free or being posted? Thinking I would rather not pay almost $7 usd (after currency conversion)for a new one.

We offered this $7 option at the specific request of several customers/fans that really wanted an updated physical Catacombs 3E rulebook. You don't have to pay this $7 though: there will be a digital version of the file that will be made available. This "new" version is based on the updated PDF of the Catacombs 3E manual that we posted here in the BGG files section. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my backer survey and added the new cards/rulebook to my pledge. Thanks for making them available! (Slight derail: any way to replace my KS Ice Cavern misprint now that it's being reprinted?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellow Shoes
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what specifically has been changed in the updated card deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aron made a very 'not-at-all-guaranteed-to-be-final' comment on the C&C kickstarter:

Quote:
regarding errata on the 3E cards (going from memory as i want to go to bed after minimal sleep over the last three days working on all aspects of this project). These points assume familiarity with Catacombs 3E. It looks like a lot, but these are really just minor tweaks (in my opinion). Feathers of Fury ability (Chicken hero) sequence proposed to go to Rush->Melee->Rush->Rush (we didn’t communicate effectively enough that the Chicken is valuable versus shadow monsters) | Wizard hero rules card: main sequence expected to change to Shield Shot -> Melee, Shield spell cards eliminated (they weren't very effective), Wizard may choose 12 spells at beginning of game (supports new content easier) | Skeleton Explorer - possibility of new Special Rule like the Barbarian & Thief (not finalized) | Two additional ‘1’ value poison cards | ‘5’ poison value card expected to change to ‘0’ value poison card | Castle Mepoth (diff. 2 room) eliminated - too difficult (user feedback) | Sisters (diff. 2 room) eliminated - too much poison (user feedback) | Ossuary (diff. 1 room) eliminated - almost identical to Athenoch Mortuary (diff. 2 room) (missed that during 3E testing) | A few item prices changed (example: spirit familiar 6 coins to 4 coins) | Venomous Spider (lvl 4) monster moves to Vermin family, sticker transferred to back of Fenris, helps consolidate all poison modifiers in one monster family | Rush Stun removed from Zombie sequence (new players shouldn’t have to deal with stun modifiers during early rooms) | Armoured Beetle loses 1 health, gains defensive properties (user feedback, plus I felt I stuck too closely to the original HOV implementation) | Gel. Cube monster card gets a new sequence layout for clarity | Changes to stun modifier rules - again felt I stuck too closely to the original 1st/2nd Catacombs “miss a turn” implementation. That’s about it, though I don’t claim this list is 100% exhaustive without consulting my notes properly. I could have taken the safe/lazy route and just hit “print” on the 3E reprint, but we really want to make the best possible product (and not upset our valued backers!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
Just got my backer survey and added the new cards/rulebook to my pledge. Thanks for making them available! (Slight derail: any way to replace my KS Ice Cavern misprint now that it's being reprinted?)

James, we'll take care of this for you. You're already on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Surreptitious Fabric
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to get a setup guide to play with the updates if you didn't back the Kickstarter and have the base game + Soloth? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Butt
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the subject of changing the gelatenous cube, I wish the front and back stickers could be tweaked.
I can't help but feel the white picture background looks wrong when the other sides are all green. Does anyone else think dark green would look better than white?

Actually I'd like to see the front and back stickers to be changed to large front-on and back-on images rather than the small angled pictures. The cubes are actually 3d mini style pieces, so the artwork style could be handled differently.

Other than this tiny tidbit the art is gorgeous. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.