Subject: Scythe - Wayfare ability once expansion in released. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unsure if have missed this in the rules but how will the wayfare ability work once the two expansion factions are released and you play a game with all 7 players?

Rule book extract below

WAYFARE: Your character and mechs may move from a
territory or home base to any inactive faction’s home
base or your own regardless of the distance. An “inactive
faction” is any faction not currently in the game, including
the expansion factions. Normally players may not move
into any home base, but this is an exception to that rule.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew Bower wrote:
I'm unsure if have missed this in the rules but how will the wayfare ability work once the two expansion factions are released and you play a game with all 7 players?

Rule book extract below

WAYFARE: Your character and mechs may move from a
territory or home base to any inactive faction’s home
base or your own regardless of the distance. An “inactive
faction” is any faction not currently in the game, including
the expansion factions. Normally players may not move
into any home base, but this is an exception to that rule.

thanks

The faction abilities of Crimea and Polania are replaced by new ones from the expansion when playing with 6 or 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Jamey said a couple factions will have new alternate abilities to compensate when the expansion launches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Xhawk wrote:
Yep, Jamey said a couple factions will have new alternate abilities to compensate when the expansion launches.

That's good. At the moment I feel there are some slight imbalances in the factions with Red skewed a little higher than the others. Red's People's Army is just so good compared to other combat abilities like Blue's Artillery and Black's Disarm which often times do not offer direct assistance in winning combat depending on the power level of the enemy. I mean in our games red more or less has twice the combat units since they will always buddy up their mechs with workers making 1 v 1 and even 2 v 1 fights with them a risk.

Additionally red's Town Ship ability opens up huge early game potential whereas yellow Wayfare has never truly been significant.

White's abilities are all pretty good although similar to Blue and Black Camaraderie doesn't offer direct assistance in winning combat and plus white has that bad starting territory holding them back.

Although only White and yellow were mentioned int he post above my group would like to see some tweaks to all the factions (cept red) to make some of their less useful skill more relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Additionally red's Town Ship ability opens up huge early game potential whereas yellow Wayfare has never truly been significant.

Our experiences have been different to yours then. Yellow has been able to move to new homelands away from fights/to get other encounter tokens/to territory immune from invasion. Whereas red's ability to rush the factory has usually been more of a distraction - as well as painting a target on themselves. Occasionally that factory card can be powerful, but more often it's turned out to be weaker than other available actions. Varies from game to game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
RDewsbery wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Our experiences have been different to yours then. Yellow has been able to move to new homelands away from fights/to get other encounter tokens/to territory immune from invasion. Whereas red's ability to rush the factory has usually been more of a distraction - as well as painting a target on themselves. Occasionally that factory card can be powerful, but more often it's turned out to be weaker than other available actions. Varies from game to game, though.

And this highlights one of my issues with red. In the last few games with red, red has gone for the turn 4-5 factory rush and have managed to pull Factory Cards 2, 10, or 12. These are a popularity for a recruit or upgrade, 2 coins for a mech and power, 2 coins for a recruit and power respectively. This has allowed them to follow up in their next few turns by maxing the given category and their workers usually having these 2 stars right around turn 10~12. Meanwhile since they get 2 moves every time they use the card they usually can sweep up a decent number of encounters on the main board.

Just take the ability 2 coins for a power and recruit/mech. This effectively the same as trading twice and then Enlisting/Depoloying (better cause you get a power). Just half of the card gets you the equivalent of 2 top actions and one bottom action. Other players trying to aim for similar categories in the traditional way don't even come close to matching it's speed and having all your recruits/mechs and workers that early is super strong.

Although there might not always be a card as good as this present (about 8 of the cards are this good), it's been happening often enough to become a noticeable issue in my group. This type of opening was happening so frequently that one of our players was asking for them to be removed from our games which had the unfortunate effect of convincing other players that playing red = auto win. Although they admittedly didn't win every game this was always attributed to the person playing red not playing their later game as well as they could have, not any weakness of red or strength of the other factions.

Personally, although I do recognize that this opening is really really strong I don't think they are op or even near and auto = win. However the thing that might push red over the top into the "too good" category is just how good the People's Army ability is. In our games where they rushed recruits they had a good number of combat cards (Thanks to being able to recruit early before other players could do it) and they could easily spread out to several territories but since they always kept their mechs with 1 worker anyone looking to challenge them for combat stars were basically dealing with a minimum of 2 mechs in any fight they picked. This is just insanely good compared to nearly every other combat ability as it gives direct help in combat and lets red use more combat cards, a commodity that other factions (obviously not yellow) often find themselves with too many to use.

However I view this as more of a problem with the other factions rather than red being OP. Artillery and Disarm should really give more direct assistance with combat such as taking the power away from the dial rather than the reserve. As they are now both are only really relevant when dealing with enemies that have very low power and do basically nothing to enemies with 9+ power.

As for the Yellow Wayfare ability, everyone always wants to do what you described but the encounters are always located 2 spaces away from the base meaning you need a total of 3 moves to get the encounter which is just short of what you usually have with yellow. Plus in large player games there are fewer options to do this. The only time Wayfare was relevant in one of our games was an instance where a weak opponent was trying to run away from yellow to avoid giving a combat star and couldn't get away cause Wayfare covered a few of the spaces.

Red on the other hand can use their factory card to zip around the center before anyone else has really been able to get out and if they are able to get a 2nd speed mech early (either via the factory card or encounter; both are situations we've had occur in our games) they can easily pull 3 or 4 encounters before anyone has even had 2.

While I do recognize this is anecdotal it is kinda troubling to have such a wide fluctuation in play based on nothing but sheer luck and we've seen it enough times that the group is becoming unsettled by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW my Rusviet win was with a different factory card and was the first game in which I got to 16 popularity, too. It was also the first game where I was trying to LOSE power. I'd spent it down to 7, but needed someone to attack me to be able to claim one of the achievement cards. They didn't, so I had to do something else to get the sixth star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we've played twice and white has won both times. I suspect that will not be the case if the new faction started next to it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
gavken wrote:
So far we've played twice and white has won both times. I suspect that will not be the case if the new faction started next to it though.

From the games I’ve played, White has a pretty sizeable advantage against new players but seems to even out once people start to grasp how to counter their mobility and mad dash for bonus event tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.