Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expedition rework ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm in love with Caverna, maybe it's the fancy wooden pieces, or the vast amount of options for each game, whatever.

I need to say something, I strongly dislike the Level 4 expedition. I'm really not in favor of any of the expeditions, shopping for free stuff all game, every round, isn't exciting.

I scrolled through every variant idea for the expeditions, but they included dice or raiding. Both are interesting mechanics to introduce.

What else could be done to rework the simple idea of choosing 1,2,3,4 random items under your weapon level for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the expeditions as they are. However, I get why they can make other people wanting something different.

If you have the time, I suggest you to copy the idea of exploration implemented in Above and Below: writing a scenario book that randomizes expeditions, gives you a story to tell, and whose encounters and benefits account for both the dwarf weapon level and the expedition level.

Still, this is not an easy task, and while it fits the theme of the game I think that giving uncertain rewards would astray too much from the meticulous determinism that is at the core of most Rosenberg titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cowspoo wrote:
I'm in love with Caverna, maybe it's the fancy wooden pieces, or the vast amount of options for each game, whatever.

I need to say something, I strongly dislike the Level 4 expedition. I'm really not in favor of any of the expeditions, shopping for free stuff all game, every round, isn't exciting.

I scrolled through every variant idea for the expeditions, but they included dice or raiding. Both are interesting mechanics to introduce.

What else could be done to rework the simple idea of choosing 1,2,3,4 random items under your weapon level for free?

Maybe there could be a deck of exploration cards, each showing a limited number of resources (at least 4), the strength required for each resource, plus maybe some thematic background of why those resources can be gained (e.g. raiding a village, exploring a forest, etc.). Put six of those cards face-up. Whenever a player takes any exploration action, he chooses one of the cards, and chooses as many resources as allowed by the chosen action and the strength of his dwarf.
At the start of each round, replace any chosen cards by new ones. I can even imagine each card being worth 0, 1 or 2 points, depending on how useful the card generally is, to compensate for the loss of flexibility granted by the current system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Olivier Fiset
Canada
flag msg tools
Caverna is a game of resource optimization without any random elements whatsoever (apart from the 3 cards of each stage coming out randomly, but you can still plan for those). I think the expeditions are just fine the way they are, and introducing random elements into it just defeats the whole purpose of the game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilber
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
janwillemvl wrote:
cowspoo wrote:

Maybe there could be a deck of exploration cards, each showing a limited number of resources (at least 4), the strength required for each resource, plus maybe some thematic background of why those resources can be gained (e.g. raiding a village, exploring a forest, etc.). Put six of those cards face-up. Whenever a player takes any exploration action, he chooses one of the cards, and chooses as many resources as allowed by the chosen action and the strength of his dwarf.
At the start of each round, replace any chosen cards by new ones. I can even imagine each card being worth 0, 1 or 2 points, depending on how useful the card generally is, to compensate for the loss of flexibility granted by the current system.

This is a cool idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marcofiset wrote:
Caverna is a game of resource optimization without any random elements whatsoever (apart from the 3 cards of each stage coming out randomly, but you can still plan for those). I think the expeditions are just fine the way they are, and introducing random elements into it just defeats the whole purpose of the game IMO.

Always amazes me when people post in the Variants forum saying the game is fine as it is and doesn't need changing.

I think adding some random element, like this exploration deck, is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.