$35.00
Damian Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
For someone like me, who has both the original core set and the Force Awakens Core Set, which damage deck should I be using? My first thought was to use the original damage deck when not using any Episode 7 ships, and then to use the Episode 7 damage deck when using Episode 7 ships. But is there any specific guidance or rule on which one we should be using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The TFA one.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament rules allow both, because of vocal minorities, assumedly. But yes, you should be using the TFA one, it's better all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your list. Some aren't hurt as much by the old deck.

The old deck can knock out a secondary weapon or your pilot ability and EPTs. If you're flying something like an 8 TIE swarm or BBBBZ list, where you don't care about either, the old deck is probably better.

The old Blinded Pilot makes you shoot with 0 dice once instead of completely skipping your next attack. It's less debilitating if you have a multi-attack weapon (TLT) or an effect that happens even/only if you miss (Vader crew, Tactician, Gunner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiteserpent wrote:
The old Blinded Pilot makes you shoot with 0 dice once instead of completely skipping your next attack. It's less debilitating if you have a multi-attack weapon (TLT) or an effect that happens even/only if you miss (Vader crew, Tactician, Gunner).

On the other hand, for the old Blinded Pilot, you'd need an opportunity to attack, so you need to position yourself in a way that would've let you attack if you could have attacked. If you fly away from all opponents for three rounds, you're still blinded. The new one lets you fly defensively for a round instead. So for many lists, the new one is less debilitating.

Generally, the old damage deck had lots of "you're completely screwed if you fly a list that relies on a particular thing and it can just break apart entirely" crits. Like, when you flew Dash with a HLG donut and your HLG broke apart - essentially screwing you completely because of one unlucky draw (which can easily be the first crit you take, and yes this happened to me), while many other builds wouldn't have been affected at all. The new deck has almost exclusively crits that can harm every build in one way or another, but less cards that can make a class of list automatically lose the game if they're drawn.

Yes, there are some lists that benefit from the old deck, if you're min-maxing and know exactly what you're doing, then this can give you a bit of a competitive edge. But the new deck is just a lot better-designed overall. Personally, I never use the old deck any more, even with lists that would benefit from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Check out page 9 of the TFA Rules Reference. It says the TFA deck replaces the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quadratus3 wrote:
Check out page 9 of the TFA Rules Reference. It says the TFA deck replaces the old one.

And was FAQ'd to let us know that you can choose either. Originally these were the rules, but they decided to allow the choice after some outcry(even though the new deck is much improved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add some explanation...

The complaint was that if the original damage deck was no longer legal, people who had already spent money on the game were suddenly unable to play it anymore without buying additional new products which they felt was not right and set a bad precedent. What would stop them from putting out an annual new damage deck for instance?

Personally, I found the TFA core to be of very limited value for someone who already owned two original cores, I was barely able to justify it for $20 and free shipping and it's worth even less to me now since some of the cards I wanted from it are getting reprinted in other expansions. So, it's very conceivable that someone might want to skip it in favor of buying other expansions that offer more useful ships & cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might also help. See link below.
scroll down until they talk about the new damage cards.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/16/there-h...

I do not have TFA core set, but I use the newer damage cards.

You do not have to buy TFA core set to get the new damage cards. There are online shops that sell them separately for a fraction of the cost. Or you if you know someone that bought two copies of TFA, maybe he/she will sell one to you. Also, you can update or make your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely up to you. The crits in the old deck are more forgiving on swarms, while the new deck is slightly more friendly toward Aces.
I have primarily flown lists full of Imperial Aces, so I choose to use the new damage deck.
If I start flying a swarm anytime soon (and I'm thinking about trying a list that someone I know uses: 4x TIE Advanced w/ titles and Accuracy Correctors and a TAP with title), then I'll bust out the old deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.