Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
First, I want to apologize for flooding the forum with variant-threads... I nevertheless hope, you still enjoy my ideas and posts!

This one came out of nowhere, while I was sitting down to come up with "agent" cards for all the mini-bosses and bosses.
I know there is already a great thread about hero combos, but I wanted to try a different approach, that doesn't require the heroes to add new cards to their decks.

I did a first mock-up of a card, to help explain my idea:

Combo cards are a party resource, so once they are acquired they can be used by all heroes. Like my "Monsterlings" you place the card beside gold and Serendipity to show, that it is ready for use.
Those combos could be earned as a reward for defeating a mini-boss or boss or by training with a special trainer.

To execute a combo at least 2 players must dedicate 1 of their hero cards to the combo. How do they do that?

1) Look at the keyword section of the combo card. In contrast to the keywords on a regular hero card, the keywords on a combo card tell you which keywords you need to contribute.
So in the case of the card above, the players need to play cards that have the attack, ranged and air keyword. The hero cards contributed don't need to have ALL the keywords. It is just important, that they have at least ONE of the keywords. When all players have contributed,
every keyword on the combo card must be present at least once on the hero cards played.
2) The action / reaction section tells you if you can contribute actions, reactions or both.
3) When you contribute a hero card, you play it as usual - also paying its AP cost. If you contribute a hero card with the attack keyword, your attack roll must be successful in order to be able to contribute.
4) When you contribute a successful attack to a combo, don't actually execute the hero card. Instead place all your rolled FD on the combo card.
5) When all keyword requirements of the combo card are fullfilled, the combo card is executed like any other hero card.
6) All heroes contributing to the combo gain the threat generated.
7) The combo card is turned facedown until the beginning of the next hero cycle.
8) Heroes can choose the order in which to contribute freely. As soon as a hero plays a hero card, that doesn't contribute to the announced combo, the combo fails and is turned face-down.

Let me try to give an example:

The Apprentice and Archer try to execute the "Lightning Hunter" combo.

The Apprentice plays "Fingers of Ia" attacking a poor minion and rolls his attack pool along with his FD. He hits.
Now instead of doing damage he places his FDs on the "Lightning Hunter" card and adds the 2 AP for "Fingers of Ia" to the Darkness Meter.
With "Fingers of Ia" being an attack and having the air keyword, there is now only the "Ranged" keyword missing, to execute the combo.
Now the Archer steps in and play's a "Kharon's Payment". He must attack the same target as the Apprentice. He also hits, adds the FD to the combo card and increases the Darkness Meter by 2. Note: Again, neither the stuff from his played attack nor fate recipes from used items happen!
Now the combo is ready. All necessary keywords have been contributed.
The "Lightning Hunter" deals 1 damage to the target, both the Apprentice and Archer have attacked. Then they count all the Arcane symbols on the card and deal 1 damage to additional targets within range. Then each of them gains the threat generated, 1 AP is added to the darkness meter and the combo is turned facedown.

Puh... it's a lot to explain, but I think it's pretty straight forward when actually using it.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that the threat should be split between the heroes, rather than (as I read it) both receiving the full threat? I'd be concerned that most combos would rack up the AP *and* run serious risks of incurring Threat Penalty. I have enough difficulty keeping the Apprentice's threat reasonable! I do tend to try to kill everything on the board, though...

This might make things way more complicated and busy on the card, but combos might also need a range for heroes (i.e., heroes must be within X range to play this combo).

I do love the idea of combos, though, for the cooperative effect. Especially when you pull a handful of nothing, it would be nice if you had one card that could be used to fuel a combo.

BTW, please keep inundating the forum with variants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback! Here are my thoughts:

@threat: Yes, I've been thinking about this, too, but there are a few reasons, I didn't do it:

- Threat is an important, limiting mechanic in the game. ATM it's not that obvious, but when JM hits and single heroes will be able to dish out more and more damage, threat management will become a lot more interesting. Allowing threat to be split would totally undermine the threat's purpose.

- A group of 5 has a much easier time triggering combos as a group of 2.
If threat would be split, it would mean, that combos are simply better with more people. The way it is now, if you have 4 people contribute to the keywords of a combo, ALL 4 have to pay the price (threat).

- I don't want combos to steal the show of the regular hero cards. Combos should have a very high price to pay, so you have to carefully evaluate, if it's worth the risc. They should broaden your options but not become your no-brainer-choice all the time.

@range: I'm not sure yet. I hope, I can somehow make this dependend on the cards the heroes play to contribute. As with the example above: If you are out of range to attack the target from which to trigger the combo, you can't contribute. If you contribute with a non-attack, then still the target of the combo must be in range of your hero card effect.
You are absolutely right, though, that this part still needs some thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems complicated and expensive. According to your example, you're giving up two cards which are in many ways better than the one you are getting. Either card would have probably killed your target. Why are you bothering to execute the combo, right?

Plus the bookkeeping isn't cost prohibitive, but it's complicated, maybe too much so.

What if you just used the rage mechanic to play a card from your draw deck face down and then just pay the cost on the combo card. Then turn it over until the refresh phase when it will be turned up again.

Nice job on the card by the way, but it's nowhere near powerful enough to justify all that effort on the part of your team. Now a cure all conditions card might just be worth it over the range of the tile. Complicated and expensive but maybe worth it. A card that does like 7 points of damage might be worth this much effort. A card to resurrect a character might be. But a card to do 1 point of damage at range 4 and maybe more with the right fate dice?

I like the direction you're going though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.