Subject: The Void cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Åkerblom
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The void cards are just useless that causes you to discard another card when you get it and give you nothing when you have it?

It is a bit unclear with the consequence it have because in the rules it states that the consequence of it is to increase stress with 1 but the symbol in the lower right corner is not that symbol, I see no explanation in the rules for that symbol that is on the card. So my question is if this card causes you to discard another card when you draw it as well as causes you to lose one stress when you discard it? That is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the player only loses a card at the time he "wins" the card. Bid wisely! Thereafter he loses a stress when it is discarded.

From the rulebook:

Quote:
• Anyone who has chosen a Void Ticket must immediately discard one non-Void card from their hand
as a consequence. The player immediately places this
discarded card in their personal discard. It is a onetime consequence during the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get the void cards from the auction phase, you have to discard one card from your hand to your personal pool (so you can still have this card but later in the game indeed)

That's it

When you play the cards, apply the rules when you play the cards : If there is a consequence, apply the consequence

That's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Zabini
Italy
San Giovanni in Persiceto
Bologna
flag msg tools
Sorry, but the consequence of many void card is "discard a card".
So for instance, if i play it in the administration phase it should allow me to discard a card for free. Is it correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules it seems that a void card makes you discard a card when you get it the first time (after the auction) and then simply clogs your deck for the rest of the game. When you discard the void card, it seems that there are no effects (also if there is a symbol in the right lower corner), differently from the "pay 3 money" or "get 1 stress" icons in the same spot of other cards.
The problem is that in the example in the last part of the rulebook, it is told to discard this card and paying one money and getting one stress point. It's ok to pay one money (it's the second card discarded in the example), but nowhere in the rulebook there is anything about getting a stress point because a card with the "discard card" symbol in the lower corner was discarded. Is it an error in the example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the English rules, the last example with the discarding example, the sentence "This card’s consequence increases his Stress by 1.
" is irrelevant because there is no stress symbol -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Zati Hanani Mad Zaid
Malaysia
JERTEH
Terengganu
flag msg tools
nabla wrote:
In the English rules, the last example with the discarding example, the sentence "This card’s consequence increases his Stress by 1.

Mr Alban, did you mean there is mistake in the English rule? Is that the only one or is there more? I am going to teach some friends on how to play this game for the first time. Need to get it correct. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NikZati wrote:
nabla wrote:

Mr Alban, did you mean there is mistake in the English rule? Is that the only one or is there more? I am going to teach some friends on how to play this game for the first time. Need to get it correct. Thanks!

Yes delete the sentence "This card’s consequence increases his Stress by 1"
It is obvious that this sentence has nothing to do with the example because there is no stress symbol
Thank you for teaching the game =
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It happen today that I got a Void card, and I wanted to discard a previuos negative card, with consequence.
Question was: do I pay the consequence of the latter one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to discard a non-void card and pay the consequences of the discarded card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's what we ruled too, but the explanation about paying consequences is in the section ADMINISTRATION.
It looks like the necessity to state it came just in that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raffaele Mesiti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
After the auction I've got a Void card so I have to discard one of my cards from my hand. I already have a Void card in my hand, may I discard it or I must pick a different card and keep two void cards in my hand? That is: you can never discard a void card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game for the first time, and having some issues with the rules.

So, as I understand it...

1. The example on page 10 is wrong. It says that discarding the 4th card increases the stress by 1. But the 4th card is a void card, which does not have the stress icon on it. Very confusing.

2. When the rules say on page 4 that the consequence of taking a void card is applied only once during the entire game... This is also wrong?

Does the consequence of a void card apply each time that it is discarded during administration?

That seems overly harsh. Void cards are already terrible cards, making them even worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
1. The example on page 10 is wrong. It says that discarding the 4th card increases the stress by 1. But the 4th card is a void card, which does not have the stress icon on it. Very confusing.

Yes, see five posts above:
Quote:
Yes delete the sentence "This card’s consequence increases his Stress by 1"
It is obvious that this sentence has nothing to do with the example because there is no stress symbol

PaulGrogan wrote:
2. When the rules say on page 4 that the consequence of taking a void card is applied only once during the entire game... This is also wrong?

No - that's a one-time consequence.

PaulGrogan wrote:
Does the consequence of a void card apply each time that it is discarded during administration?

No.

PaulGrogan wrote:
Void cards are already terrible cards, making them even worse.

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

That seems overly harsh. Void cards are already terrible cards, making them even worse.

I think the confusion comes from the placement of the discard icon on the Void card. It is placed in the location where consequences are normally found, implying that this consequence must be carried out whenever the void card itself is discarded.

I too was confused as what to do whenever Void cards are discarded. Based on the phrasing in the rule book that says that the consequence from Void cards of discarding a card is a "onetime consequence during the entire game," we have not been discarding whenever we discard Void cards in the administration phase. Otherwise, as you've mentioned, I feel the Void cards would be too punitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
completely agree with all comments, my mistake for the placement of the Icon, it should have been else where but not at the exact placement of the consequence. I cannot remember why I have chosen to keep them there, but it was not a good choice.

Anyway the rules in the book are clear enough , it is a one time consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't view the Void cards as being too severe; instead, they are a brilliant addition to the game that help drive a very tense auction. It's not the end of the world if you get one (especially with an increased hand size of 8).

A few of the Consequence cards can be worse than a Void (been there, done that) because they are indeed punitive (whether played or discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
I don't view the Void cards as being too severe; instead, they are a brilliant addition to the game that help drive a very tense auction. It's not the end of the world if you get one (especially with an increased hand size of 8).

A few of the Consequence cards can be worse than a Void (been there, done that) because they are indeed punitive (whether played or discarded).

I agree. I think they are great (I mistyped my comment above). They add a lot to the auctions. Not only do you have to consider turn order, you have to think about the card you want. But how much stress can you handle if you keep going first? Great decisions to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:

There is a void card with both a "discard" and a "stress +1" consequence.
Does this card let you increase stress each time you play/discard it, or is this also a one time effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eduart wrote:
nabla wrote:

There is a void card with both a "discard" and a "stress +1" consequence.
Does this card let you increase stress each time you play/discard it, or is this also a one time effect?

I'm afraid the "stress up" effect is the usual "every time you play or discard it". robot EDIT: …and by "I'm afraid," I mean, "Truly."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All consequences must be applied each time you play the card. If you cannot pay the consequence, you cannot play the card.
Exception = Only the Discard one card from your hand to your pool on the void cards must be applied once (when you get it during the auction phase)
That's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.