Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How many turns does your game last? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Hsiao
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had about 4 plays of this game so far and for the first time I tried to count how many turns the game last. In our 4 players game Rusviet won on turn 21 with 6 stars and 79 points.

Does anyone else count the number turns? I'd love to know from the experienced players how long (turn-wise)should an average game last if played efficiently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 21-25 is pretty normal. Finishing in fewer than 20 turns would be very rare (though Saxon players will try).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman_Marv wrote:
Had about 4 plays of this game so far and for the first time I tried to count how many turns the game last. In our 4 players game Rusviet won on turn 21 with 6 stars and 79 points.

Does anyone else count the number turns? I'd love to know from the experienced players how long (turn-wise)should an average game last if played efficiently?

Usually one turn too short
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian S.
Germany
Berlin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mondoron wrote:
Chairman_Marv wrote:

Usually one turn too short

Yeah. The most frequent sentence at the end of the game is "Next turn I would have placed (at least!) two stars and the scoring would have been ENTIRELY different!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondoron wrote:
Usually one turn too short :p

I disagree - our last game finished on exactly the right turn.

The fact that I won is pure coincidence to this fact.......puuuuuuuuuuure coincidence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20-22 turns.

If you play efficiently, you need only 5 or at most 6 turns for resource generation without using the bottom row action (BRA), usually some trade or produce at the begin of the game. Every BRA contributes to a star (6 for upgrade, 4 each for deploy/build/enlist). Pick one of the four BRAs which you do not prioritize (ideally, it is not the one connected to move/attack). This makes ~15 BRAs for 3 stars and 2 stars for combats.

(Ideally, you get your last star with move/combat because it allows you to end the game with a significant change in territory control. Gain territories through combat, take away territories from your main competitor, drop off workers into nowhere on the way to combat.)

Let's sum up: ~5 inefficient actions without BRAs for build-up, ~15 BRA-efficient actions for 3 stars from BRAs and 2 combats in between, then perhaps add 1 or 2 turns to get workers to max or power to max or fulfill your objective. That's 20-22 turns.

EDIT: By the way, I have never seen someone win with popularity at max. You just need too much time to achieve that star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Hsiao
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, this is a useful base from which to plan one's strategy. I think I will start keep track of turn from now

The objective cards obviously introduce some variance to this. Interesting that you said Saxon would try end the game sooner, Jamie. In our game Saxon was up to 4 stars fairly quickly but fortunately for us his objective cards were unfavourable so "the rush" did not actually happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I think 21-25 is pretty normal. Finishing in fewer than 20 turns would be very rare (though Saxon players will try).

Heh that one should go in the newbie tips card for the person that picked up Saxony.

In other news i played this with a new group. I was messing around as Norway, and was shocked/happy to see the saxon player win by bullying a weak polania while crimea quiety expanded and still
lost.

He placed 3 combat stars as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Interesting. We haven't had a game last that long in a while. Last game was 17 and the one before that was 15. I feel like I'm moving too slow if I'm not done with my 6th star by 20.

Given the faster the game, the lower the winner score. The last two games the winner ended in the 60's. We've only had 1 game above 100 because it seems best to just finish fast. There's only been one or maybe two times the winner wasn't the player with 6 stars for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.