Subject: Really impressed with the solo game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a game against 3 bots and I have to say that I am really impressed with it. Maybe it's prefer a few more options with a dice roll, as it is bots are really conservative and can get obsessed with placing new allies, but still it is really impressive considering how fast the bots play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. With every COIN game, the bots are getting better and better.

I love how in this one the bots will sometimes pass to be first on the next card. And I love how they've turned the usual flow on its head, so that in this game the bots check the board state first, and then check the event. It makes them feel much more like a real player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, you jerks are making me want to try the bots now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
Damn, you jerks are making me want to try the bots now...
You really should!
Looking at the flowcharts might be intimidating at first, but the instructions for the bots aren't any more difficult to understand than the rest of the rules.

Fair warning, the first game with all bots will involve a lot of flipping through the rule book to figure out how exactly they decide how to execute a given command, but that will stop very quickly as you start to remember more and more of the details that aren't obvious from the flowchart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
I played a game against 3 bots and I have to say that I am really impressed with it. Maybe it's prefer a few more options with a dice roll, as it is bots are really conservative and can get obsessed with placing new allies, but still it is really impressive considering how fast the bots play.

I was worried about operating those bots but you kinda convinced me
I should try during the weekend. How long did the firs solo game take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Palladinus wrote:
borsook wrote:

I think around 5-6 hours. But - it was my second game overall and I was checking all the rules and reading each and every card's commentary in the playbook. I played it over two days. And I lost! Which I think is a good recommendation when it comes to the quality of bots. They are slow to action but if you let them turtle they may be unstoppable.

There are some small faults e.g. the bots check for resources very late, so the may have 1 resource and still try to do something else, but you can always override some behaviour if you feel it is to the bot's disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
borsook wrote:
Palladinus wrote:
borsook wrote:

I think around 5-6 hours. But - it was my second game overall and I was checking all the rules and reading each and every card's commentary in the playbook. I played it over two days. And I lost! Which I think is a good recommendation when it comes to the quality of bots. They are slow to action but if you let them turtle they may be unstoppable.

There are some small faults e.g. the bots check for resources very late, so the may have 1 resource and still try to do something else, but you can always override some behaviour if you feel it is to the bot's disadvantage.

I found the bots to run fairly smoothly but I would say that they were often acting in less than optimal ways. Ultimately I find the game more interesting and challenging when I play all four factions myself. Also the games run a bit more quickly. That said, the other COIN bots I've played with in Cuba Libre are notably less sophisticated, so I'd say that they're a clear upgrade.

As an aside, how are the Distant Plain and Liberty or Death bots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mirror33 wrote:
borsook wrote:
Palladinus wrote:
borsook wrote:

I found the bots to run fairly smoothly but I would say that they were often acting in less than optimal ways. Ultimately I find the game more interesting and challenging when I play all four factions myself. Also the games run a bit more quickly. That said, the other COIN bots I've played with in Cuba Libre are notably less sophisticated, so I'd say that they're a clear upgrade.

As an aside, how are the Distant Plain and Liberty or Death bots?

I know a lot of people do it... but playing by myself all the factions I have a little satisfaction... who's going to win? Me. Who's going to lose? Me. With bots, at least they follow their own ideas, and many commanders were... well, simply making a lot of blunders. Plus bots always get a full command instead of limited one so it is not easy to catch up with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game with the bots so far, but in two campaigns in a row, my Roman bot abandoned his supply lines and got all of his legions stuck in Northern Germany during winter. Quick recipe for fallen legions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bmtc wrote:
I've only played one game with the bots so far, but in two campaigns in a row, my Roman bot abandoned his supply lines and got all of his legions stuck in Northern Germany during winter. Quick recipe for fallen legions.

That sounds bad, Romans is the only bot I haven't played. Still, if the bot does something absolutely stupid I would overrule this decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
borsook wrote:
bmtc wrote:

That sounds bad, Romans is the only bot I haven't played. Still, if the bot does something absolutely stupid I would overrule this decision.

The past few times I've played, Rome took over all of Germania giving itself a pretty strong base and supply line. It supported its Belgic excursions with occasional 'scout to recover supply lines'. Kind of boring, but certainly worked (had to race as Arverni to pick up enough allies by the first winter to avoid an automatic Roman win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
Shonai_Dweller wrote:
borsook wrote:
[q="bmtc"]I've only played one game with the bots so far, but in two campaigns in a row, my Roman bot abandoned his supply lines and got all of his legions stuck in Northern Germany during winter. Quick recipe for fallen legions.

The past few times I've played, Rome took over all of Germania (usually on its first "get the hell out of Belgae and march into 2 locations") giving itself a pretty strong base and supply line. It supported its Belgic excursions with occasional 'scout to recover supply lines'. Kind of boring, but certainly worked (had to race as Arverni to pick up enough allies by the first winter to avoid an automatic Roman win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.