Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A steady stream of black and Blue units where wandering towards the factory . our people could not believe what they saw. Gigantic mechs instantly appeared in front of workers ruining the land with their feet. They didn't seem to notice the foreign workers in front of them, nor the villages and farms which they crushed. Something had to be done, but what could I do? I had just a single faction and could never stop this advance of blue and black. Then I did something I had never done before, I called in the support of the only other faction in the field who seemed reasonable: Polonia. They had seen the same destruction of the countryside and where also unable to contact the blue and black units. Under these conditions we formed an alliance to stop this blue and black advance and protect the people of eastern Europe and secure the factory. At least, that was the plan.......

Welcome to my first session report ever, so bear with me.
I noticed that in a two player game (I had some with different players)the interaction is minimal. Fighting occurred most at the end of the game to get the last stars, since there is plenty or room to expand. So I introduced the coöp variant proposed by Morten (you can find it here)

This is how we played.
- I let my ally pick a faction first and then I selected a faction at he other side of the map. The two automas where put in between so turn order would be Human(Polonia-industrial) - Automa(Nordic) - Human(Crimea-engineering) - Automa(Saxony).
- Of course we could not attack each other, and the automa's didn't attack each other as well.
- Because the Automas where allies their neighborhoods also included hexes adjacent to each other (but they could not enter a hex with another automa of course)
- both automa's where on normal difficulty, so we put the cubes on the same tracker.
- I printed an extra Automa deck so both automas could use their own
- All other rules came from the automa rulebook so no need to clearify I think.

Setup (Sorry for the quality):

Gameplay:
I had some worries because both Polonia and Crimea had bad acces to Iron/Oil and/or expansive Mechs and Upgrade. So I decided to enlist first to get the benefit of the Automa cards as soon as possible. Polonia began by max out his workers to produces a much as possible, this turned out to be difficult in the beginning because of the costs.

Black and Blue automa began slow. The had not much mech in the beginning en could of course not cross the river for a long time. As soon as they could however, the rush towards the factory began. Saxony got more mechs and began threatening the positions of Polonia and Crimea. We both felt the pressure to defend ourselves but the needed Iron was not easy to get (and we had both a different starting strategy)

Halfway the game Automa Saxony had all his mech and won his first battle with Polonia (who had not that much power ). Blue was mostly expanding towards the factory because his units where not in the neighborhood of Human units, it also took him some time to get al his mechs on the board.

near the end Both Polonia and Crimea (Humans) Had their engine started, but had not that much stars (we both had three)We began some strategic fighting to get some territory, stars and resources from the automa, But still we had the feeling we didn't do a good job. The automas where spread out and we had not that many stars and territory.

In the endgame Saxony got his 4th star with max Power and a Star from the tracker. we new the game would be over soon. Blue had 1 star because he didn't advance fast on the tracker and had not won a battle (EDIT: we could have made a mistake here, because on the picture only one star is seen, which seems to be to less).
We decided to spread out as much as possible to gain some territory points. Next turn automa Saxony ended the game with his six star on the tracker.

Final score:
Automa Saxony 53
Automa Nordic 59
Total: 112

Human Polonia 35
Human Crimea 63
Total: 98

Oh no!!! Automa Rules Eastern Europe blush cry

Conclusion:
First of all: It was extremely fun! Because the other player wasn't experienced as much, I could also help him out and think of (short term) strategy. We both gonna play this way next time with two players, because:
- The board is more filled with units which gives some tension and makes you choose a strategy (For example, do we take the factory soon, before automa gets there?)
- Together you plan to make the automas bleed, so there is more interaction (although in this game it was the Automa who made us bleed whistle)
- It's more a 4x game as Jamey has ment it to be (at least that is how I see it)
- Playing with two automas makes you see that every game is different although the automa deck is the same. Nordic hadn't advanced as much on the startracker(got more red crosses) and Saxony was far more aggressive due to the automa cards.

I hope to play more of these multi-automa-coöp variant soon, in the meantime I would like to hear more stories/sessions about this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up. My wife and I will probably play the co-op variant soon. I will let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heart session reports, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome write-up, Anton. Thank you so much for sharing, and I'm glad you had fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All,

Is was fun to write down a session report, and even more fun to play so hopefully more will follow.

I'll recommend everybody to try it. It gives the game another dimension.
The game wasn't over or I was thinking about strategies for the next game.

-How about one person get his popularity at max and get the other players recources while that player tries to get the automa.
- Or mabye we need to be more agressive so we can take the factory early on, we couldn't get there anymore at the end of the game.
- Or........ Well to much options and too little time to play laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report -- thanks!

My niece (who was visiting) and I recently played this co-op against just one Automa (normal difficulty), comparing our average score against the Automa's score. Lost twice, but improved and had a blast...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.