Subject: DoD / WiFFE combined game report #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've had a year off but have now started another combined game of Days of Decision and World in Flames. For those not familiar with DoD (although I appreciate that is unlikely in this forum), this means that you start the squabbling in 1936 rather than 1939 and as a result the game can look very different by the teime you get to 1940. For our group we prefer it to straight WIFFE as it allows a wider variety of strategy options. Additinally because there are now three teams (Fascist, Democrat and Communist), it models the tensions within the Allies in a much better way. Anyway, onward.

Fascists
Germany Andy P (AndyP)
Japan, Italy Greg (jez nogger)

Democrats
CW Laurence (laxyboy)
USA, France, Nat China Simon (nailsworthnobby)

Communists
USSR, Com China Andy W

Rules
DoD May 2009
WiFFE RAW 8.99 (draft issue)

Set up
1936 DoD set up used without modification. Beer secured in fridge as despondency is likely at any moment in a game of World in Flames.
We are playing with the draft issue of 8.99 which changes some key rules and may cause confusion. However after over twenty years of playing we still get rules wrong, so no surprises there.

The teams are a new combination as Andy P has mot previously played Germany (except in solo games) so those of us on the democratic team are hoping the pressure gets to him (yes that's our entire strategy for winning the war and preserving democracy).

Jan / Feb 1936

Moving up on second base behind Nicholas van what’s ‘is face
At six foot six and a hundred tons
The undisputed King of the Slums
More alias’s than Klaus Barbie
Master butcher of Leigh on Sea
Just about to take the stage
The one and only – hold the front page …

There are no fancy politics to start the game for our first time Führer. Germany occupies the Rhineland which prompts Belgium to cancel its alliance with France but due to a rubbish roll on the US entry chart, adds a chit to the German entry level. Italy establishes a minor economic agreement with Rumania to get some oil. The CW propose a level 1 treaty to the French but manage to finish political affairs (by rolling 2) before the French get to respond, which is unfortunate given that they are unlikely to be so far up the bid order for a while. There are no US entry options played.

A strong political start for the Fascists (mostly by virtue of no start at all for the Democrats and Communists).

At this point in the game, military affairs are usually subdued by virtue of poor weather and no one having much to do. The Italians are the only team to have much on their plate due to their ongoing war with Ethiopia. Their brave troops shuffle forward in the Ethiopian snow towards Addis Ababa, with Haile Selassie on their “not wanted around here anymore” list. Progress is slow and they may need more firepower in East Africa to be sure of a result (although Greg will probably fancy his chances as it only needs one lucky roll).

The new oil spending rules act as an additional brake on unnecessary movement (of oil dependent units). If the war hasn’t started you don’t want to burn a full oil when you only have a handful of units and running combined actions, so just using the one free oil dependent move per impulse is common. It does mean that the end of turn reorganization is a doddle which is a big plus.

In order to keep the posts to a reasonable length, which has been a legitimate criticism of my style in the past, we will pause here. More to come shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mycroft Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old, liberal optimist.
badge
Denmark. Go big or go home. We went home.
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany occupies the Rhineland which prompts Belgium to cancel its alliance with France but due to a rubbish roll on the US entry chart, adds a chit to the German entry level.

And from my perspective, I would have expected Belgium to Affirm its alliance with France due to an aggressive Germany, and the Americans to be like- "Rind-land? What is that? Some gardener in Germany growing melons? Not our concern."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mycroft Stout wrote:

And from my perspective, I would have expected Belgium to Affirm its alliance with France due to an aggressive Germany, and the Americans to be like- "Rind-land? What is that? Some gardener in Germany growing melons? Not our concern."

Valid comments. Belgium beaking the alliance seems a little strange but I think depicts something similar to what actually happened. And it seems unlikely that the Americans would have been cross, most who cared about such things would have supported the German action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgium is very historical. To quote some geezer:

"The reoccupation of the Rhineland, by ending the Locarno arrangement, has almost brought us back to our international position before the war... We must follow a policy exclusively and entirely Belgian. The policy must aim solely at placing us outside the quarrels of our neighbors". - Leopold III Belgium, October 36

The US now, that's just poor dice rolling.

Like the Rap lyric quotes by the way, Simon, is this some sort of pop quiz for us listeners? Do we get Professor Elemental at some point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jes Nogger wrote:

Like the Rap lyric quotes by the way, Simon, is this some sort of pop quiz for us listeners? Do we get Professor Elemental at some point?

Not strictly rap in this case. But I imagine some chap hop is almost inevitable at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mb
Carter USM for the win.

Many a shape was thrown to Sheriff Fatman back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Carter USM for the win.

Many a shape was thrown to Sheriff Fatman back in the day.

It's one of those songs that pops into my head every now and again for no reason and doesn't disappear until played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.