10 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Shades of Tezla - Is it mechnically fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hi :-)

I'm thinking on picking Shades of Tezla while waiting for Lost Legion to show up in Europe. Strangely enough, I swear all the written or YouTube reviews I checked were not about if it's fun, but about the components quality.
Since shipping is quite expensive to my country, I'm trying to understand whatever this expansion worth it. I already know for example 'Lost Legion' considered to be a must. It's Shades of Tezla the same? does it improve the game to a point where you don't see yourself playing without it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL is a must.
SoT is nice, it adds new (difficult, IMHO) monsters and scenarios.
It also adds a nice "start at what level you want" rule, and a nice short (1 day - 1 night) scenario.
You can use some of the rules with MK/LL basic scenarios as well (pursuing enemies, and ambushing enemies).
The character, Braevalar, is quite versatile and can do some nice tricks with movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you get the new mage knight Braevalar for one, adding another character for variety. I always like the variety. There are new scenarios to play, too. I play cooperatively, but I imagine it would be analogous to competitive as far as new scenarios and mechanics go.

I have never beat the first scenario (Life and Death) and I've played it 3 times so far. The new enemies seem more difficult by just a little bit and give you less fame too, for a double whammy, but you get a random nifty one-shot token to make up for it. That mixes up the usual optimization a bit and is fairly fun to not always know what you'll get.

The faction leaders are really rough. They add a new way of approaching the "boss fight". They are an entity like Volkare who attack with their horde, but you have to spend some resources to attack them. Each time you attack them with enough to exceed their armor level, you knock them down a peg. They're still there, but they move down a level and get easier the next time.

I'm not unhappy with Shades, but I usually go back to Volkare in my games, as he's just the right level of interest for me. Every third or fourth play, I want to try out Shades again because Volkare gets boring. I'd absolutely buy Shades again if I were to do it all over, poor components and all. I don't mix the enemies in with your other games because they don't match in size. That part sucks, but I can live with it in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
I don't mix the enemies in with your other games because they don't match in size. That part sucks, but I can live with it in the end.

I and many others have received replacement tokens and cards. It is possible to get them if you want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shades of Tezla doesn't really add anything "must have". You have a new character to play with and a few new scenarios (plus enemies linked to those scenarios), and that's basically it.

The scenario's are a mixture between the castle sieges of the original and the powerful enemy that you face from Lost Legion (Volkare). It makes for a refreshing change of pace after playing Volkare scenarios but it isn't that much different from what has been before. Find the castles, siege the castles, win.

For me, the appeal comes from the added variety to an already amazing game. An extra character is always nice to have, since they do actually play quite differently with their innate areas where they excel and this expansion does also introduce extra treasures you can get for defeating enemies of a specific faction (albeit only when playing the expansion scenarios).

All that said, this expansion is in no way as essential as Lost Legion. If you have the base game and that, you have everything you need. This expansion is more of the cherry on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
logris wrote:
I don't mix the enemies in with your other games because they don't match in size. That part sucks, but I can live with it in the end.

I and many others have received replacement tokens and cards. It is possible to get them if you want them.

Yep, just go to the Wizkids replacement site and ask for a replacement rulebook. They'll send you a replacement pack with thicker cards, bigger tokens, and an uncrumpled rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did get the replacements. I double checked just now and the size is indeed the same. The new tokens are still a distinctly visible shade lighter though. The same was true with Braevalar's cards. But this isn't a replacement thread, as the OP pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lost Legions is a great addition to the base game and you should get it. Shades of Tezla is a nice addition and worth getting if you really like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others that LL is the must-have, and Tezla simply nice to have.

Also, if you're interested in reading more, I wrote this review, which, while touching on the components, was mostly (I think) focused on the gameplay aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks everyone. That's enough good reasons for me to pick it whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.