Hide
4 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about misapplication of rule (SPOILERS up to September) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spoilers for after completing the Paranoid Soldier search

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We just finished early September (a loss) and were rocked by the loss of our Soldier who was our traitor. We were using him to stay in our yellow CODA zone and clear figures with his traitor upgrade / grenades etc.

When looking at how we could do this with our remaining characters we realised that we had misread the rules on faded figure scars

We had applied the rule as "gain a scar if you start your turn in a faded city", where the rule should have been "gain a scar if you start your turn in a city with a faded figure". So we had been avoiding being in the CODA zone for months where in fact other characters could've been in there too (eg. with quarantine markers).

It meant we've been playing on hard mode from April - Sept with losses in 2x May, June and Sept iirc. Do you think any adjustment in funding / (minor end game spoiler)
final scoring
should be made? We talked briefly as a group and said we'd carry on with the correct rule (no balancing) but interested to hear thoughts on how this omission affected the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Oh no! That's going to have been a huge handicap for you.

I'm honestly not sure how you're going to fix it at this point. Had you understood the rule correctly, I suspect your entire strategy would have been different.

Part of me feels that you could max your funding out to 10 and even that wouldn't be enough to compensate. Another part of me feels that funding balances player skill levels, and isn't the right kind of compensation to balance the difficulty you've faced.

Maybe you just continue, but feel a lot better about how you're performing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also continue playing. As mentioned, funding is used to balance player skill level. You are already making the game easier by playing the rule correctly, so adding more would probably make it too simple.

As long as it is the result of you (or someone else) reading the instructions wrong, you can only blame yourself and take the penalty as a learning experience. I would probably respond different if it was the result of a bad translation.

Concerning the spoiler warning, you should maybe update that one, or modify your question a bit, as your question isn't matching exactly the month mentioned. Reason why below:

Since the traitor is revealed as a result of a successful search action, it could be that this info isn't revealed yet at the end of September. It would be better to reference the relevant box number.
Also, since final scoring is actually only revealed after the last game of December, the question as stated is actually an end of game spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Karian, edited the post a little. Forgot you might not complete the search tracks in the month you get them

I think we will just leave it as is and just play the new rules, but feel smug that our losses were due to us being on hard mode. We've now won 7/12 games which seems to be in line with what other groups are doing. and most importantly its still been fun

I think the extra game end upgrades did a good job of balancing the game to make a more level playing field, and the extra difficulty forced us to create a strategy that worked within our interpretation of the rules. Just glad we haven't needed box 8 (yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.