Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I learned how Raxxon works, I realized that similarly to original base game betrayer-double-turn-tanking, this didn't seem to be balanced at all. Raxxon can, just by pure luck, completely imbalance the game.

My group has played now with some really thematic and simple modifications to Raxxon. I highly suggest trying them out.

1. Only characters who are at Raxxon get to vote on what happens in Raxxon regarding release of zombies.

Impact: This makes thematic sense. Betrayer or exiled player can intentionally not fulfill the code and release zombies.

2. Raxxon experiment card gets added ONLY every time a player moves to Raxxon.

Impact: This means that you can use Raxxon module in every game without having to send players there all the time to contain zombies. At the same time you won't know which cards appear, which increases the risk. This also means that if multiple characters go there, multiple experiment cards get added (but still resolved one-per-round) - in short, the more you cause disturbance at Raxxon, the more you have to deal with.

3. All characters at Raxxon have to roll Exposure die whenever containment code is not matched by the end of the turn.

Impact: This increases risk of staying in Raxxon. Otherwise one or two characters can be there, get powerful cards and easily deal with resulting zombies.

4. Unless specifically mentioning Raxxon, you can only improve search through characters own abilities, but not with items.

Impact: This rule is primarily there to make it harder to get good items from Raxxon, especially if getting lucky and grabbing Drone.

Overall:

These variant rules are recommended when you don't want to have Raxxon impact the game too much, but still be this dangerous location that may be worth the risk. If you want to have to deal with Raxxon containment every turn, remove rule #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
I'm liking the idea of only needing to contain the special zombies at Raxxon when "disturbances" are made there; however, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are implying... It sounds like we would start with zero experiment cards at Raxxon, and if I am the first player to move a survivor to that location, then I would introduce the first experiment card to the game, which would now require that I contain a special zombie according to the normal rules, right? And if at anytime I opt to not contain this zombie, then it is released, i.e. there are again zero experiment cards in the game, and am I to roll the exposure die... See, what I'm getting at is that it sounds like I could then just hang out at Raxxon with that survivor, needing never fear another experimental zombie until a second survivor visited the location... Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManWithBirdLikeWing wrote:
I'm liking the idea of only needing to contain the special zombies at Raxxon when "disturbances" are made there; however, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are implying... It sounds like we would start with zero experiment cards at Raxxon, and if I am the first player to move a survivor to that location, then I would introduce the first experiment card to the game, which would now require that I contain a special zombie according to the normal rules, right? And if at anytime I opt to not contain this zombie, then it is released, i.e. there are again zero experiment cards in the game, and am I to roll the exposure die... See, what I'm getting at is that it sounds like I could then just hang out at Raxxon with that survivor, needing never fear another experimental zombie until a second survivor visited the location... Am I missing something?

I can see what you are getting at. Short answer is Yes, this is correct. And there's a reason for it if you look at the bigger picture.

What I wanted to do with this variant is to make Raxxon an optional part of the game. Experimental zombies being a risk every turn is too much of an annoyance and makes little to no sense in theme.

So I wanted to make it so that you risk letting an experimental zombie out only if a character goes there. Because of this variant, this is even riskier since you don't know what the dice requirements are (since at that point everybody has already rolled dice) before card is revealed.

So character can 'hide' there, do nothing and only have to deal with the regular zombies that spawn just like in other locations.

The reason I don't want to change it to 'roll dice every time' is because it does not matter from balance point of view at all. A player who is at Raxxon and does not do anything does not affect game balance at all, regardless when they decide to leave. So there is no point to punish inactivity.

Adding dice roll for just staying there makes Raxxon too punishing. You want to deal with Exposure die as a punishment for an action, not inaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wouldn't be this resolved by simply adding the zombie card at the beginning of the round if there's someone in the Raxxon? so even if you "hide" in Raxxon you'll have a new zombie coming out. It's still better than having them popping out regardless.. but it would make the players holding back staying there only to get the overpowered weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
Wouldn't be this resolved by simply adding the zombie card at the beginning of the round if there's someone in the Raxxon? so even if you "hide" in Raxxon you'll have a new zombie coming out. It's still better than having them popping out regardless.. but it would make the players holding back staying there only to get the overpowered weapons.

May be a good alternative if you really want to push players out, but I still want there to spawn a card if a player moves there immediately (and for every move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm not a fan of this variant. Seems to me, if you do t want Raxxon to have an impact on your game....don't play with Raxxon. It's already optional. Doesnt make much sense to keep playing it and then making special house rules to neuter it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of this variant. Seems to me, if you do t want Raxxon to have an impact on your game....don't play with Raxxon. It's already optional. Doesnt make much sense to keep playing it and then making special house rules to neuter it.

I want to have it as an option to players in-game without making it a must-visit location every round. Just like with bandits.

If you prefer it differently, that's fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Mools wrote:

I want to have it as an option to players in-game without making it a must-visit location every round. Just like with bandits.

If you prefer it differently, that's fine

I think that's fair. For me it's just a question of, if you don't want it to be a "must visit" then just leave it out. I personally think that if I'm adding in Raxxon or Bandits, it's because I want to add that new dynamic to the game.

But I'd be curious how it works out for you. Honestly, the items at Raxxon are hard to just ignore, especially with harder main objectives, and I think the balance is forcing people to worry about the code, but offering powerful items in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.