7 Posts

Oceanos» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 2 player variant in the rules it says that you play a turn simultaneously doing the following;
"draw cards", "play a card/cards", "reveal played cards" , "you may discard one card" and the last "give remaining cards to your opponent".

I don't really see the point of this last bit (give remaining cards to opponent) as each player already has played their cards for the turn. Is the point that you can use any leftover fuel-tokens you have to play cards from the ones received at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it like you already have cards in hand before the next turn starts. Then you fill up your hand with how many more cards you need to reach your number of periscopes + 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your left-over cards are then used by your opponent on the next draw and he has to complete his hand from the deck if there aren't enough cards wrt his periscopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to give your remaining hand of cards to your opponent for the next turn.
Before that, you can discard one card from this hand (so the one you don't want your opponent to have usually !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:
You have to give your remaining hand of cards to your opponent for the next turn.
Before that, you can discard one card from this hand (so the one you don't want your opponent to have usually !)

I see, so a player could end up with not being able to draw cards at the beginning of a turn then. Or even need to discard down to his periscope level +1 at the start of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to say that there is no mention in the rules that a player should discard down if he receives too many cards (which may happen to the captain in a 3+ player game where he just keeps them all), but I don't see how it would even be possible in a 2-player game.

Example: Player A can draw 4 cards and Player B only 2. At the end of the turn, if Player A has played 1 card, he then discards 1 and gives the remaining 2 to Player B. He can't give more than 2.

Edit: Oh, I had forgotten that discarding is optional. So Player A could give 3 cards to Player B. But why would he give such an advantage to his opponent? I wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peutcheubeu wrote:
I was about to say that there is no mention in the rules that a player should discard down if he receives too many cards (which may happen to the captain in a 3+ player game where he just keeps them all), but I don't see how it would even be possible in a 2-player game.

Example: Player A can draw 4 cards and Player B only 2. At the end of the turn, if Player A has played 1 card, he then discards 1 and gives the remaining 2 to Player B. He can't give more than 2.

Edit: Oh, I had forgotten that discarding is optional. So Player A could give 3 cards to Player B. But why would he give such an advantage to his opponent? I wouldn't.

Well it might not be an advantage if you give him three cards with only fish that that player already has and maybe they all have kraken symbols as well.
The player receiving the 3 "bad" cards would then have to play one of the cards this turn, and since he now still has 2 cards in hand he wouldn't be able draw new ones next turn either if he only has one periscope.
Maybe I'm reading the rules wrong but this is how I understand them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.