16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Still hoping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my birthday yesterday and to my amazement my wife said she would play a board game with me so we had a game of Forbidden Desert and she absolutely loved it didn't dislike it (her own words). This had led to a follow up of playing the same game again soon, my hope is to try Pandemic when she is comfortable because of the similar playstyle. Do you think this is the right direction? I may have to mix in some Jane Austen games which we have in shrinkwrap but that seems a fair compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah if she likes coops then pandemic is a good one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ask two people and you will get three different answers.

My wife really likes Forbidden Desert but HATES Pandemic. She thinks the step up in complexity does not equal more fun. So we play lighter games together, like

- Patchwork
- Splendor
- Kingdom Builder
- Karuba
- Small World

Her newest favorite is 7 Wonders Duel, but that might not be a good choice for your wife's second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the trick is to find a game in which your wife enjoys the theme. My tip would be something like Viticulture which is not a coop but a light workerplacement game about developing you own vineyard. Even my mother enjoys playing that one. If your wife doesn't like wine or winemaking, you will of course have to think of something else. What kinds of themes do you think she would enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
It was my birthday yesterday and to my amazement my wife said she would play a board game with me so we had a game of Forbidden Desert and she absolutely loved it didn't dislike it (her own words). This had led to a follow up of playing the same game again soon, my hope is to try Pandemic when she is comfortable because of the similar playstyle. Do you think this is the right direction? I may have to mix in some Jane Austen games which we have in shrinkwrap but that seems a fair compromise.

Happy birthday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes Pandemic: The Cure but very much does not like Pandemic

She also enjoys Mansions of Madness: Second Edition & Elder Sign

it took a while to warm her up to these types of games but well worth the wait.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All you can do is try and see how things turn out. There is no perfect answer we can give you because we simply don't know your wife personally (well someone here may, but I don't think anyone here doe so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind is many non gamers do NOT like learning new games each week. I think this is a common mistake. Don't try to show her every game in your collection. Get a game she likes and stick with it for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is many non gamers do NOT like learning new games each week. I think this is a common mistake. Don't try to show her every game in your collection. Get a game she likes and stick with it for awhile.

This!
My girlfriend is pretty much the same.
She likes playing with me (more on the filler to light side, big exception: Shogi), but is hesitant to learn to much games in a shorter period of time.

Try to have 2-3 games to play regularly with her and slowly step up (like 4-6 new games a year (or more if she is asking)).

Our go to games currently are:

(gateway games)
- Jaipur
- The Castles of Burgundy
- Indigo
- Machi Koro
- Hanabi

("the next step and beyond")
- Pandemic (introducing her to the first expansion atm)
- The Grizzled
- Hive Pocket
- YINSH
- and Shogi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy belated birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice I will take things slowly and see what happens and also thank you for the birthday wishes though at my age a -5 modifier wouldn't go amiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
filten wrote:
I think the trick is to find a game in which your wife enjoys the theme. My tip would be something like Viticulture which is not a coop but a light workerplacement game about developing you own vineyard. Even my mother enjoys playing that one. If your wife doesn't like wine or winemaking, you will of course have to think of something else. What kinds of themes do you think she would enjoy?

+1

And don't rush it. Or you might suddenly find yourself in Rohan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Whose ELSE 'need': "stinkin` badgers"? sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:

Early on in my game group we would play a new game twice in a row so we could do a teaching game and then a game where people had an idea of what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz D
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I second the advice to keep things simple. Forbidden Island might be a good "new" game to play that isn't all that new, if your wife is still wading slowly into the hobby. I've had a lot of luck getting new gamers to play Jaipur, as well.

By the way, I know people were making LotR references, but... I saw the thread title "Still Hoping" and misread "Jorath" as "Jorah." I half expected this post to be about pining for Daenerys Targaryen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
My wife likes Pandemic: The Cure but very much does not like Pandemic

+1 for Pandemic: The Cure. It is one of my favorite games, but like Killer Joe's wife, I find myself disappointed by Pandemic. There's also an expansion for it coming out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.