Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: aah, this box is tempting me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned Descent 2E forever but haven't really managed to get a group together, so I shouldn't probably even think about IA, but everything about it, other than character advancement, looks so cool that I can't help it! I keep going between "must buy" and "don't buy", and can't pick one stance and stick with it.

Not really a question or anything, I just felt like sharing my first world problems
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming app should also help you decide on picking this up. I find it hard to get a group together often enough for games like these. Each session We have to re-learn the game because it's been so long between plays.

Mansions of madness:2e is awesome solo and I picked it up mainly because of the app. It convinced me to pick up Descent 2e to play solo with the app. If fantasy flight does what they did to Descent, making it fully coop, Imperial Assault should be on your list!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Descent first ed ownwer - never played it.

I skipped second edition.

I fell for SW:IA. Totally. I bought every single box and villain and ally pack available. I'm in the middle of the third campaign against my wife. Please not that this is an excellent 2-player game (not only in the Skirmish mode!).

What would life be without first world problems? meeple
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a very similar situation to the OP. Wanted it, tempted by it, couldn't decide whether to give in to temptation or go with my head as the likelihood of getting ftf play was unreliable at best.

In the end, my heart won and I put my toe in the water; now, I'm fully immersed and have all the expansions (apart from actually having the figures in play, so far my head has won out on the minature packs as they are expensive here in the UK).

It really is a very good game, whether you view it as an upgraded, re-themed Descent 2nd Ed or not.

I do not regret it for a moment.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it knowing I had nobody to play it against. I'm hoping the much talked about app does see the light of day, but in the meantime I use the RAEV (Automated Emperor) variant to play the campaign and by and large I find that is working pretty well. You don't even have to print the cards for it (though I have) as there is a really good website that has implemented the variant and has all the cards, etc in it.

When I have a go at the Skirmish mode I will just play both sides to the best of my ability. Failing that, there is always Vassal.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
When I have a go at the Skirmish mode I will just play both sides to the best of my ability. Failing that, there is always Vassal.

And play by forum. (Something I never expected to be interested in, but Imperial Assault got me there...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
I bought it knowing I had nobody to play it against. I'm hoping the much talked about app does see the light of day, but in the meantime I use the RAEV (Automated Emperor) variant to play the campaign and by and large I find that is working pretty well. You don't even have to print the cards for it (though I have) as there is a really good website that has implemented the variant and has all the cards, etc in it.

When I have a go at the Skirmish mode I will just play both sides to the best of my ability. Failing that, there is always Vassal.



Can you provide a link to this website please?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do people use play by forum for Skirmish mode? I only thought it was for the campaign and that looked quite complicated (though I'm sure it isn't)


a1bert wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:
When I have a go at the Skirmish mode I will just play both sides to the best of my ability. Failing that, there is always Vassal.

And play by forum. (Something I never expected to be interested in, but Imperial Assault got me there...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant V2
RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1
VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Skirmish
VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Campaign
Imperial Assault Play By Forum (Wiki / waiting list: SWIA_PBF wiki )

tasmanuk wrote:
Do people use play by forum for Skirmish mode? I only thought it was for the campaign and that looked quite complicated (though I'm sure it isn't)

PBF is better suited for the campaign (it's not that complicated), but it's possible for Skirmish too. Vassal would be better for casual skirmish games though.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1500314/redjaks-automated-e...

Then go here

https://kckaiwei.github.io/AutomatedEmperor/


dougposkitt wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:
I bought it knowing I had nobody to play it against. I'm hoping the much talked about app does see the light of day, but in the meantime I use the RAEV (Automated Emperor) variant to play the campaign and by and large I find that is working pretty well. You don't even have to print the cards for it (though I have) as there is a really good website that has implemented the variant and has all the cards, etc in it.

When I have a go at the Skirmish mode I will just play both sides to the best of my ability. Failing that, there is always Vassal.



Can you provide a link to this website please?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:


Many thanks for this. Much appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Just curious, what don't you like about character advancement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two things I don't like:
1) There should be more cards available to buy for XP for each character - from what I've heard, you do get enough XP over the course of a campaign to buy almost all the cards. More cards would provide more decisions to make

a1bert has pointed out that the total XP cost of all cards and the amount of XP gained are far more different thant I'd thought, so I guess this isn't as big of a point as I thought. Still, more cards and more choices couldn't hurt, even if it isn't essential.

2) Skill decks being tied to specific characters doesn't seem like a good idea. I think Descent does this one thing better, with decks being tied to character types, not individual characters - and then any warrior character could take any one of the warrior decks and buy skills from there
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
1) There should be more cards available to buy for XP for each character - from what I've heard, you do get enough XP over the course of a campaign to buy almost all the cards. More cards would provide more decisions to make

There are 20XP worth of class cards and you earn around 9-14XP during a campaign.

TheNameWasTaken wrote:
2) Skill decks being tied to specific characters doesn't seem like a good idea.

With all the characters we have now, it feels like a very good idea.

Testing would be impossible if you could mix and match, and either there would be a "best" combination (ending up de-facto into the same situation as we are now, or build 'traps' for rebel players by offering bad combinations), or all archetypes would just have to be essentially the same (Health, defense, base abilities).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
1) There should be more cards available to buy for XP for each character - from what I've heard, you do get enough XP over the course of a campaign to buy almost all the cards. More cards would provide more decisions to make

There are 20XP worth of class cards and you earn around 9-14XP during a campaign.


Really? I hadn't checked the numbers myself - it's just that I got that impression from one of the reviews I'd read. Okay, then I'm retracting this point.

a1bert wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
2) Skill decks being tied to specific characters doesn't seem like a good idea.

With all the characters we have now, it feels like a very good idea.

Testing would be impossible if you could mix and match, and either there would be a "best" combination (ending up de-facto into the same situation as we are now, or build 'traps' for rebel players by offering bad combinations), or all archetypes would just have to be essentially the same (Health, defense, base abilities).


Well, they seem to have managed to diversify and test everything just fine for Descent, and that one has even more characters than IA.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Well, they seem to have managed to diversify and test everything just fine for Descent, and that one has even more characters than IA.

I will take my hearsay to use here (it was probably Boardwars.eu podcast) and repeat from someone who has played both that the IA system works better on the long run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
a1bert wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
1) There should be more cards available to buy for XP for each character - from what I've heard, you do get enough XP over the course of a campaign to buy almost all the cards. More cards would provide more decisions to make

There are 20XP worth of class cards and you earn around 9-14XP during a campaign.


Really? I hadn't checked the numbers myself - it's just that I got that impression from one of the reviews I'd read. Okay, then I'm retracting this point.

a1bert wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
2) Skill decks being tied to specific characters doesn't seem like a good idea.

With all the characters we have now, it feels like a very good idea.

Testing would be impossible if you could mix and match, and either there would be a "best" combination (ending up de-facto into the same situation as we are now, or build 'traps' for rebel players by offering bad combinations), or all archetypes would just have to be essentially the same (Health, defense, base abilities).


Well, they seem to have managed to diversify and test everything just fine for Descent, and that one has even more characters than IA.


I haven't played Descent 2 a lot, as the game just felt wrong to me. (I think my comments about the game are where I elaborated that feelings). But aren't those hero classes just 2 heroes with one figure each? And do you even have a lot of customization after you choose a given deck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I haven't played Descent 2 a lot, as the game just felt wrong to me. (I think my comments about the game are where I elaborated that feelings). But aren't those hero classes just 2 heroes with one figure each? And do you even have a lot of customization after you choose a given deck?


In the base game, Descent has 2 heroes and 2 class decks per archetype, small box expansions add 1 hero and 1 class deck to two different archetypes, big box expansions add 1 hero and 1 class deck to each archetype, and hero and monster collections add about 4 heroes each, but no class decks. At the start of the campaign, you choose any one hero and one deck of the same archetype.
As for the amount of customization after choosing the deck, it's probably quite similar to IA, but I haven't checked the numbers and so don't know how much XP you get over a campaign or how much XP it costs to buy the entire deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Well, they seem to have managed to diversify and test everything just fine for Descent, and that one has even more characters than IA.


Yeah, it's not like slapping the Bard class onto Mok makes him a never-ending fatigue battery. whistle

What our play group has noticed is that each hero in IA has 1 of 2 meta builds that they can be built towards - tank, rogue, support, or ranged. You get 10-14 xp, 10 xp is enough to get 1 set of the 'class' cards. If you wind up with more than 10 xp - you can diversify a bit.

Additionally (IMO) the SWIA approach gives you more theme than the Descent approach. For example - each hero has one or more cards that boosts the effectiveness of their hero ability.

D2E and SWIA both have places at my table
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's just two different systems, both which have their perks.

Descent allows for a little more mixing and matching, you can play Diala as a "Jedi Guardian" one time and then a "Jedi Warrior" the next time or you can switch your hero but keep the same class, say play Davith as a "Jedi Guardian."

(Obviously, I'm making stuff up here, so correct me if I'm wrong about how D2e works. "Jedi" is the archetype and Diala and Davith are both Jedi class and Guardian vs. Warrior is just two different decks, not sure if the D2e decks are named or not or if they just have a different back)

While IA allows for each of the class decks to be integrated more with each hero's core abilities (the abilities on the card). Diala's defensive stance gets augmented with her class cards, Fenn's Havoc Shot gets buffed with his, etc. etc.

Balancing for the IA system is probably a little easier as I can imagine Descent leads to a few "ideal" builds, so you'd never put "Jedi Guardian" on Diala as she would always be better with "Jedi Warrior." But obviously, IA still has some ideal builds as well. Very few people build Gideon into Hammer and Anvil for instance, and every Diala build seems to include Force Throw, Force Adept and Meditation, even though you could build her to be an AoE demolisher with Way of the Sarlaac and Snap Kick.

Both seem like good systems and I think it's better that they are different so that way Descent keeps some players and doesn't die off completely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I broke down and bought it. Now I guess I should figure out how mini painting works and how to do it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Winter
Germany
flag msg tools
If you want to learn how to paint your IA miniatures, you should have a look at Sorastro's Painting channel on youtube. It tought me a lot and even if i am a total beginner my figures look awsome to me. It's just another investment of money and time, because you will need quite some colors, shades, brushes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only painted 2 games - D2E and SWIA. SWIA is incredibly easy / beginner friendly.

Most figures need about 4 colors. Some need more, but not by much.

Aside from getting a good 'rebel emblem' on an arm or the inquisitor's red lines on his forehead - most figures have edges that grab the paint and pop for you.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize how powerful a shade is. Grab any of the shades by citadel or make your own - Nuln Oil & Reikland Fleshshade (or equivalent) are crucial. Nuln oil gives shadows to just about everything and Fleshshade makes skin look good. If you grab a silver color or the drybrush metallic you can get great effects on the weapons and droids.

Sorastro is incredible - watching him is how I learned as well!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Sorastro's videos are great fun. I think I've watched about ten of those by now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.