Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,
hot on the heels of the annual Spartan Games summer survey they have started releasing interesting blog posts in a higher frequency.

The newest post deals with the future of both Firestorm Armada and Firestorm Planetfall and you can read it here:
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/flashpoint-firestorm

Here are the main updates announced in that post:

1. Flashpoint Firestorm: a new campaign system, released in several chunks - each one focussing on a part of the larger conflict and linking Armada and Planetfall

2. They will zoom out of the Stormzone and take a look at the larger Firestorm galaxy. This could mean new factions - e.g. it has been mentioned that the Overseers from the box set will return for real. The phrase Spartan Games used was "shaking things up".

3. More modular ship design: this is nothing really new as Neil already talked about this during the Taskforce release, but the blog post shows a render of a new Terran Assault Cruiser based on this modular design. As they mention this on the blog I hope that we will see more Tier 1 ships like this (how about a new Sorylian Battleship?)

4. Firestorm Armada 3.0 pushed into 2017: Based on the feedback they have collected they want to make the new edition a good a possible and do not want to rush things. That's why 3.0 will not be released this year.

5. Almost between the line they said that they are looking into how to sell individual models to make it easier for players to increase their squadron sizes without buying whole boxes. Not sure what that will mean but this was one of the main criticisms aimed at the reinforcement boxes, so this is good news.

And then there is bit of news for Planetfall as well (new Helixes for all core factions), but those will be covered in a later blog post.

I for one like those news a lot.
Fluff has always been a weak point for Firestorm - even though the setting itself is great. Creating those campaign sets will help them fleshing it out a bit more.

New product announcements are also always welcome - and as the first campaign will feature the Sorylians vs. the Relthoza we might even see a 2-player campaign box / starter box, who knows.

But the best news for me was actually the blog post itself. It seems like Spartan has finally listened to their community who has asked for more frequent updates for a long time now. It is good to see that they will try to improve their communication with the players and I hope that they will not stop at the blog while they are at it. Just yesterday I searched youtube for some Dropfleet Commander videos and was surprised how much more content the Hawk Wargames community has online in comparison to Spartan Games.

Well, that's it. Check out the blog post, it is worth a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nutter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Exiting Announcements from Spartan Games
You maybe want to change the title to "exciting!" When you said "Exiting" you gave me a heart attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oops...
sorry and thanks for pointing it out. It certainly looked strange but I was in kind of a hurry.

Let's hope that Spartan Games will not exit the scene anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.