17 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Selecting random heroes and abominations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sharp
Australia
flag msg tools
Hello, first time poster. My Zombicide pack from Massdrop finally arrived (which contained the base game, The Hero box, Abomination bosses, and the Paul Bonner Special guest box) so have finally been able to play. I had played the first quest once before with friends, and hope to get my girlfriend playing too at home, but just have been playing the first two quests myself.

As I have 15 heroes so far I thought the best way to play with them with what I have is to pick 6 random heroes from the pack and see how they go. As there are a few that have the potential to kill Abominations with out dragon fire I decided that I would randomly select the same number of Abomination bosses and add their cards into the deck, so for my first play i ended up with the Abominatroll and the Ablobination, as had drawn Klom and Genieve, and ended up getting trapped between the two and a regular Abomintion as well as had no luck finding vault weapons or a crossbow until it was too late. So I died horribly. Next time, I swapped in magic character as I didn't have any the first time around for better balance and decided that I will just throw the one extra Abomination in which seemed to work better. (Ie I didn't die, except for poor old Klom )

Does anyone else select their characters randomly, and throw in extra Abominations depending on how powerful the characters are? Or do you just select the ones you feel like playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people I play with usually have pretty clear preverences, either regarding the sculpts or the skills. So we end up using the same handpicked characters most of the time. Which makes it easier for me to organize the zombi deck (necromancers, abominations, mob types, etc) to tune it to the group of survivors. This way I can balance the game to the difficulty level we like (which is: harsh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group and I always choose who we want to play with. I'm pretty usre the first edition of Zombicide the rules say to pick a random survivor. BP lets you pick. I was a Kickstarter backer so I have a lot of survivors to pick from, but that being said I usually stick with my boys Klom and Milo. The occasional Red Cap Rodney gets thrown into the mix sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For teaching to players new to the Zombicide system, I generally stick to the base characters, missions, and components. Then, once they're familiar with the basic rules, I suggest reading the mission and people play the characters they want to play. It's more likely they'll want to come back for some more zombie punishment. I've played with people that will get into character and have fun regardless of their kills, or the desperation of the situation, when they've had the right character. There's nothing worse than a player going rogue and jumping into the wrong situation because they feel their character is worthless...And worse, they're not having fun.

While playing the game myself, randomly drawing characters is fine with me. It gives an extra challenge sometimes, and provides some unexpected opportunities for trying different strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group I deal out 5 characters per person and they pick from those. It works well, I find that sometimes a character that you might not have "picked" on your own works out really well! Variety is the spice of life. As per the abombs, we normally play with two regular abombs, two wolf abombs, and the blob. I'm going to be adding in the troll for next game, its much more fun when you can't just kill it, you need to get the dragon bile and the torch. Abombs lost their scariness when the superstrength characters and weapons were added, I want that back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have lots of stuff, so I usually use all of the baddies, but only a couple of spawn cards each. Then I like to pick heroes so that some of the cool sculpts are represented, some of the good skills are included and then perhaps a hero infrequently used gets their shot. When playing with others, it would depend on how familiar they are with the choices, whether I pick a group for them to choose from or leave it up to them. Basically, anything is ok, as there's always another day to do things differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All random. Winning or losing with the hand you were dealt is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! I've always let people pick who they want to play, and likely always will.
Getting to play your favorite character is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
Bah! I've always let people pick who they want to play, and likely always will.
Getting to play your favorite character is part of the fun.

To Grumpae's point above, I may start doing some part of random too. The reason is that if you are a kickstarter owner, there are a LOT of survivors. So many so, it can take someone a good 5-10 minutes to look through the stack and read all the abilities to pick one. Then he passes it on, etc.

Initially I let everyone just pick, because it was fun, but after the first few times I'm going to go with partially random solution. Deal out X to everyone, and pick from them.

Note that the same thing happened for me with Eldritch Horror. Once the expansions made it so that there were a gazillion characters, the "picking" phase just took too long. So I made it a "Deal 3 and pick 1" affair. It didn't affect people's enjoyment at all. They still get to pick, but they all do it simultaneously in a fraction of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
We pick our heroes and use two of each abom. I have the Kickstarter set so all 50 heroes and all Aboms. Works well. We use the health system for Aboms so heroes dealing extra damage isn't a game breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoodwink99 wrote:
We use the health system for Aboms so heroes dealing extra damage isn't a game breaker.

What's the "health system"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
hoodwink99 wrote:
We use the health system for Aboms so heroes dealing extra damage isn't a game breaker.

If you look under the files youll see a few things for a health system similar to the health system for the survivors. As you rank up the aboms rank up in health too. You can do damage to them, and that damage stacks until the abom is dead. (can you kill the undead?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when I got my pledge , Knight pledge, I also got Homer and Benson...I just took all the cards and started to put them in teams of 6 that I wanted to play in a quest.

Has worked pretty well and have played 6 quests this way switching out a new team each one.

I'm on the base game quest 9 now still have a couple of teams to play.

For aboms, I played one game with 4 of them and it was just crazy..so if I defeat one in one quest I choose another one for the next quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
mroseksi wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
hoodwink99 wrote:

If you look under the files youll see a few things for a health system similar to the health system for the survivors. As you rank up the aboms rank up in health too. You can do damage to them, and that damage stacks until the abom is dead. (can you kill the undead?)

Pretty much this. It all depends on the way you want Aboms to feel. Some like just a few and for them to be super scary. I like for them to be beefy but winnable with concentrated fire. To each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sharp
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for your tips. Think I will keep selecting randoms when I'm playing by myself but give others the option when I am playing in a group.
Just finished the third quest today, just, with only two survivors left both with two wounds. I had only lost one a couple of turns earlier, but then had an extra runners activation, when I opened the last door, which killed three, and just barely survived the with the last two. Took me a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours to complete by myself, mainly cause I had one guy by themselves who had the dragon bile but couldn't get back to them as was blocked by too many zombies.
Good times!
Now I want to get all the extra add ons I don't have. Would like to get the nps to get the extra vault weapons, and will get wulfsberg eventually when I can afford them all (postage is a killer, if I have to import). Will get the last guest bundle just up on massdrop as postage is pretty good so works about to be just over $20 each which is about as cheap as I will get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
hoodwink99 wrote:

is a houserule and a pretty nice one. We tried it and it was pretty fun. We end up no using it too much because we prefer running for our life, but then we needed to banned some skill.

e.g. klom super strength is banned; all characters that have +1 at blue are either ban or you have to choose a different skill instead.

we picked and choose our character. but group is no aloud to stick with same character for each game (unless we are doing a campaign "mode"), once one character have been played he goes out, that way we try to circle tru them. Some are eventually remove from the rounds because no one really like them, they are too OP or too meh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
Never plyed with more than 3 players so end up with two /three charcters per player. This means we can take the middle ground for selection, Players pick one and the other is a random. I missed the kickstarter , but still have ended up with nearly 30 characters so plenty of variety to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.