Subject: Is extermination objective doable in Solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaggelis Vernadakis
Greece
Sitia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody! I seem to have a very tough time beating the extermination objective in Solo mode. Not that all the other objectives are easy and I win every time, but the extermination seems ubeatable. Every time I play it, I keep saying beforehand: "Ok you don't have to kill any aliens, just go to your objective and get done with it as soon as possible". But as it seems it is impossible, at least for me, to fill all 3 extermination tiles with dice and return to base. Any tips / suggestions from somebody who has already done it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vernad,

I believe you are talking about Medium difficulty, considering you mention 3 extermination tiles? I must say I find most Medium solo objectives daunting. (Having two recon objectives usually gets me.)

The EASY extermination mission is very do-able, but they require only TWO tiles. I did not really play Medium missions often enough to offer any advice on them, but in Easy Extermination missions, I have a strategy I gladly share here if it helps you even a little. I usually do NOT avoid killing aliens. I move to the first (usually the most difficult) tile, then start rolling guns and spending all alien movement symbols I inevitably roll to move one alien towards me. Once the alien is in range, I take a shot at it, trying to save up as many guns as possibly for the objective. Once the alien is dead, I repeat this until I either have the dice to complete the objective or the alien is in close range again and has to be shot in order not to risk having it get past me and run to the start area.

This works like a charm most of the time - sometimes the dice just hate me I hope this helps to some extent and increases your fun in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

The easy and medium extermination objectives in solo mode require 2 tiles. Only in the hard difficulty solo you need to place 3 tiles.
And yes, it is HARD!
I'm glad you're enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaggelis Vernadakis
Greece
Sitia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard! I definitely meant in Hard setups! I almost stopped played medium setups the second day that I received the game (I played only once in Easy, and it was reaaally easy). The problem with the Hard setup is that the 3 points that you have to visit on the map are on different areas and only to get there you need a lot of moving symbols. Apart from that, each round you get at least 3 alien cards with aliens to be spawned - not to mention about the bosses which are a nightmare. My opinion is that you should not bother to kill any alien in the beginning but try to reach the point that is further away than the others. But again, you don't know where the aliens will be spawned, how fast they will run (especially if you keep rolling the alien move symbols constantly) and what kind of event is going to strike you! If you don't get a good weapon, a rather good spawning phase in the first two rounds and a rather favourable dice rolling, I don't think that you can beat it (at least in solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't know how you guys are beating the EASY modes in solo, let alone hard.
Too many bloody aliens heading towards the start space to stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without giving you a long evaluation of my (probably very noobish) strategy to beat the Easy levels solo, let me just say that in my games, there is usually just ONE alien moving a lot during the Action Phase - and it is dead shortly after we meet each other in the middle, negating all that nasty alien movement I rolled up to that point. Perhaps it is worth a try if you are not doing it this way already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played once but already noticed I played it wrong since I didn't use 5 dice and didn't use the 2p rules for spawning aliens. Didn't noticed the Solo rules at the end of the rulebook.

So this explain why it was more or less easier to won it.

Will try again when I can with the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I don't know how you guys are beating the EASY modes in solo, let alone hard.
Too many bloody aliens heading towards the start space to stop.

I win games in easy mode, solo all the time.

So I recently switched to medium. Haven't won a game yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.