Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Im thinking to buy this game for some kids, but I will be teaching them just the base rules, at least at the begining.
That means ferries and tunnels would be just normal routes, and I would be not using the stations.
My question is... would that be too imbalanced or hard to play?

I worry beacuse it could be the tickets involving tunnels and ferries zones give more points. Or maybe this map is to cutthroat for not-using stations.

Thanks for opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the long tickets overlap a bit, so I'd be weary of not using stations at all. Ignoring tunnels and engines is fine for a while, it won't unbalance the game enough to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a particular reason that you wouldn't just use the US map then, because that's where your variant is pointing to anyways?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without stations, some routes become impossible very quickly. Edinburgh comes to mind. As does the Scandinavian path. These figure on enough tickets to make things problematic.

Don't underestimate the ability of kids to pick up the full rules quickly. Tunnels add a push your luck element that I think they will enjoy. They also can lead into a discussion of why tunnels have a variable cost, and why they are where they are.

Ferry routes are clearly marked so I see no problem there. Though I have never understood the rationale behind needing a locomotive for traveling across water, but not over land.

Why not try them on the correct rules and only add the variants if they are having trouble.

EDIT: oh and for me, Europe IS the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. St
msg tools
I'd like to point out that it's technically a wild or joker, not a locomotive. Therefore it doesn't not make sense (sorry for the double negative but it was the only way I could put it).

Otherwise I fully agree with you; even parents often underestimate their kids ability to learn games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input!

GregDarcy wrote:
Don't underestimate the ability of kids to pick up the full rules quickly.
Why not try them on the correct rules and only add the variants if they are having trouble.
In general I have more success teaching games in incremental order. If possible I prefer to start with fewer rules, and only when all the players feel comfortable, then go for the full game.
So I will teach the rest of the rules sometime, but it could be the same day or maybe months after (when we meet again).
Actually this kids have never played any boardgames at all, at most eventually Uno or Memory. And maybe I will teach their parents too, which could be even more difficult.
I will have only one day for teaching the game, and I will leave it as a present hoping the kids can play it -and teach it- by themself afterwards.
So I want it to be sufficiently easy so they don't get scared and also they can remember the rules afterwards.
Anyway, I will see how it goes.

ackmondual wrote:
Is there a particular reason that you wouldn't just use the US map then, because that's where your variant is pointing to anyways?
It is a present for them and I'm buying only one, not both.
So I thought about USA vs Europe a lot, but I finally chose and ordered Europe mostly for the possibility/potential of using the complexity of the additional rules, so it could be more interesting and replayable for the kids and also for adults who could play with them. And as a bonus reason, they know USA a lot from movies, so I also want to show them another region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Hi,
Im thinking to buy this game for some kids, but I will be teaching them just the base rules, at least at the begining.
That means ferries and tunnels would be just normal routes, and I would be not using the stations.
My question is... would that be too imbalanced or hard to play?

I worry beacuse it could be the tickets involving tunnels and ferries zones give more points. Or maybe this map is to cutthroat for not-using stations.

Thanks for opinions.

Without the specific tunnel and ferry rules, the game becomes easier. A player could more easily claim a route and fulfill a ticket.

Without the stations the game becomes harder. A player could be blocked, fail her tickets and lose a lot of points.

That is, for playing with children, the stations would probably make the game better. Better in all ways – and not at all different to learn, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. St
msg tools
Personally the only maps that I would be really hesitant to play with little kids are Team Asia and maybe Nederland and the United Kingdom (it really isn't as complicated as everyone makes it out to be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.