Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am. To be clear, I like them very much for their flavor and power level - they are good (very good) and I think all factions should have a similar power level.

What I don't like is their mechanics: they are in practice a mix between Pirates and Vampires. Quite all their cards have already been seen (or are very, very similar to others) in other decks - mostly the two aforementioned - so they add very few news to the game.

For me this is something important. I like each faction have its own feeling of unicity, and for me Sharks do not have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
RaistlinMajere wrote:
I like each faction have its own feeling of unicity
Monster Smash must have been a pretty big let down for you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you. I feel that Sharks are kind of indicative of the power creep that Smash Up is experiencing. That said, they are a blast to play (and a terror to play against).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Monster Smash must have been a pretty big let down for you too.

I don't undestand what you mean. Do you refer to the fact that three factions in the set use power counters? If yes, that does not hurt me a lot, because they use power counters in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
RaistlinMajere wrote:
What I don't like is their mechanics: they are in practice a mix between Pirates and Vampires. Quite all their cards have already been seen (or are very, very similar to others) in other decks - mostly the two aforementioned - so they add very few news to the game.

While I agree there are elements of small destruction & some movement in Sharks, they do way more differently than either of the factions you mentioned.

Sharks are about destroying minions for card advantage & extra plays, which is nothing like Pirates & Vampires. Mako & Blood in the Water let you swarm where you make a kill, while Week of Sharks gives you the fuel to keep up after you make a play like that.

Something really interesting about sharks is while that their big focus is killing things, both of their 2-of actions AND their 4-of minion are the core of this idea & don't destroy at all. Each destruction card in Sharks is unique for different situations, and is more about benefitting off of killing rather than just to say "take that"

If you're looking for some cool combinations that might make Sharks feel more fresh & will give you a different gameplan than with Vampires, try using them with Time Travelers, Mad Scientists, Faries, and even with Pirates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the extra minion play is what makes the difference between them and Pirates/Vampires (thank goodness, or we would have had a complete clone!); anyway all those too many cards already seen in their deck make me struggle to feel them as something 'fresh'.

Anyway I understand it is not easy to create completely new mechanics for each new faction while the game goes on and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
If you want recycling look at Greeks. They are half wizard.

I do think Smash-up has been experiencing some power creep of late. They need to balance this out as a lot of the early factions feel woefully underpowered. Look at Dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mochana wrote:

I do think Smash-up has been experiencing some power creep of late. They need to balance this out as a lot of the early factions feel woefully underpowered. Look at Dinosaurs.

That's for sure. I created a topic where I listed all the tweaks I use for a better game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to use the Sharks faction my son and I created. We posted them right before the voting for this expansion started.

Although, the new sharks are okay, we like ours much better.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1369980/custom-faction-shark...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Poltergeist_2000 wrote:
Feel free to use the Sharks faction my son and I created. We posted them right before the voting for this expansion started.

Although, the new sharks are okay, we like ours much better.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1369980/custom-faction-shark...

They are a little bit (more) OP. While the minions look Ok (Hammerhead can be a little bit broken) you should tune down some of your actions (Feeding frenzy, Well that sucks and Deadly shores). Also you should try to avoid straight power creep of existing cards (cookie cutters, Woobegong)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.