$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you treat your games differently when they become oop and hard to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In light of the FF/GWS split, I think of my copy of Fury of Dracula differently, and it bugs me. I was thinking about bringing it to game night, but now feel more reluctant. I wonder who I among my fiends I should not invite over when we play this one because they are rougher on components.

In reality, the game will only hit the table once or twice a year and I never have problems with people ruining my games, so it should last a very long time. However, the fact that I would not be able to replace Fury of Dracula easily makes me more cautious than usual, to the extent that I fear it could curtail my fun.

Do you feel differently about your games when they go out of print? Does this take some of the fun out of playing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I brag about them more. That's about it. As if bragging to my wife really has any meaning behind it anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will treat Forbidden Stars no differently than before. It's a game meant to be played and I will play it. I am pretty careful with my games and I'll certainly growl if someone brings food or drink too close, but that was always the case.

It does make me feel an urge to buy Chaos in the Old World as I've always wanted to try that game out. However, I just don't have the gaming group for it so I'll still probably not buy the darn thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I watch for a bargain 2nd copy to keep as backup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I play 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. I have a lot of games that I love. I have enough games to explore. That being said if a game were to jump from 100 to 200 dollars or more and I'm not playing it I would sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably sleeve them. That is about the only change. I already sleeved Forbidden Stars because the 40k sleeves were perfect for it. Just need to do Fury of Dracula now.

I won't sleeve Talisman though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. It's still a game, and if it's one that gets played regularly, it will still hit the table. I might ask people to be a bit more careful, since it's not easily replaceable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really.

By the time they are OOP if I play them a lot they are well used anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once it creeps into the $400 - $600 range, then yes. I will typically exchange it with a willing buyer, so I would treat it like it is no longer mine.

Tidy return, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nope, I treat them all pretty much the same. I "get" the coolness of owning OOPs but I don't get geeked up about it myself.

I think I have currently; Ra: The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about a dozen games in my collection that are 'drinks off the table games' (After Pablo, Antiquity, Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition, etc), but otherwise, I treat them all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it depends on how much I like them. For instance, I have Ave Caesar, which is evidently very difficult to get one's hands on, but I'm pretty meh about it, so it wouldn't get any special treatment (beyond the usual encouraging people to place their drinks on side tables and stick to non-messy snacks like pretzels). On the other hand, I also have an obscure little game called Supernova that's neither particularly highly-rated nor abysmally low-rated, but was designed and produced locally by people I sort of actually know, and I really like playing it. It's sleeved, I rotate components in and out so as not to have heavy wear on some and no wear on others (I lucked into a bunch of spare boards and tiles), the inside box lid is autographed by the designer, and if I'm feeling REALLY anal-retentive I will point out to the players precisely how out-of-print this is and that I would really like them to be careful.

I would say it doesn't take any fun out of playing - if anything, it's more fun to me to be able to play something that's not around anymore - but it does make me slightly nervous. The only thing that's strongly affected is my choice of who to play the game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't store them differently or play them differently. Of course my wife has still not punched her copy of Tokaido Collector's Edition and will never play it with children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not really. I take care of my games so they last a long time & many are indeed long OOP. I still play them. A couple I've sleeved the cards as they are getting worn & there are no replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:
In light of the FF/GWS split, I think of my copy of Fury of Dracula differently, and it bugs me. I was thinking about bringing it to game night, but now feel more reluctant. I wonder who I among my fiends I should not invite over when we play this one because they are rougher on components.

In reality, the game will only hit the table once or twice a year and I never have problems with people ruining my games, so it should last a very long time. However, the fact that I would not be able to replace Fury of Dracula easily makes me more cautious than usual, to the extent that I fear it could curtail my fun.

Yea, I think I'm gonna laminate those flimsy player sheets and the map. I don't think I'll bother sleeving though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I am careful (wife says OCD) with them all and expect others to treat my stuff the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sit on the shelf just the same as all the others.

Pete (knows there's safety in numbers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Burdett
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. A have a friend who brings his wife along to our game group and she has damaged two of my games. If she is around, I only bring out games that can't be damaged. Everything else stays packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally sleeve games, but I recently sleeved my Black Box edition of Glory to Rome after I looked up the replacement cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only ever treat my games differently if the cards are damaged from overuse/someone bridging 'em or if they're going into storage to protect them from the weather.

I'm quite gentle with my games so I rarely ever find them wearing out unless they've been played a hundred times, and even then it's only ever specific oft-used items/cards/models so I have no real fear.

Though if I was bringing out a rare game to a group with people who may not know the value of my game/hobby, I'm more likely to consider sleeving and maybe even laminating of older rule books. But that's rare in all honesty. If I had my collection around kids/pets and I'd not childproofed my home I'd probably be willing to put in a lot of effort to keep the rarer games safe.

Thinking on it, I really should laminate most rulebooks to stop 'em from folding or tearing in group sessions anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I yell at the other players, "Be careful! This game is selling for $200 now!" They mock me for it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I throw them in the trash, and then burn the trash, they're worthless now.

Pete (wait, what? I'm not Pete, what's going on here?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotneko wrote:
I don't normally sleeve games, but I recently sleeved my Black Box edition of Glory to Rome after I looked up the replacement cost.

Me as well, just about my only sleeved game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I'll cut you if you so much as discard in wrong orientation regardless of game value/rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.