David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you equate this to say an Indiana Jones movie, there are the big fights and the rolling giant stone balls, but there are also places in the movie where you get to stop and look around at some pretty neat stuff. Likewise if you've played Skyrim or Fallout, there are some pretty cool settings there that you tend to just walk around and absorb.

SoB is pretty much continual jump scares right? Monsters at every turn, the clock ticking down, no time to stop or explore or anything. Would it be interesting if there were actual cool stuff to learn in the encounters (besides bad things to avoid) where you explored the ancient city and instead of a fight, you occasionally got some lore on an interesting setting? I mean don't you want to know more about that ancient city? Or the swamp? Or Trederra? Or the ancient derelict when it shows up?

I admit you need the fights, but what I'm asking is whether you need them on absolutely every tile? The settings are so interesting I would like to know more about them.

Or would you rather the jump scares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
After playing a bit of Mansions of Madness 2E, it'd be nice to have Investigative sequences where strange things are looked at, horrific things are discovered and/or puzzles are worked out without necessarily having to bother with the nitty gritty of tactical combat. Maybe it could be a special sequence where you may or may not roll to Hold Back the Darkness (depending on the urgency of the situation) where you can actually do some roleplaying/interaction/dialogue/whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I can say personally we have had quite a few rooms that have an 'Encounter' with no attack, in fact I have seen missions with 4-5 of these rooms in a row...

So SoB can be both Jump Scare and Scenic Review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I would have liked to have seen more task-oriented play, making greater use of the characters stats. Sonething along the lines of Eldricht Horror's Mysteries. But the game is already so sprawling, without out being complicated, I'd hate to ruin the experience.

An example would be:

A part of the tunnel has collapsed. You can see something gleaming beneath. A character my use his action to clear the rubble. Test Stregnth 6+. For every success place a token on this card. When 3 tokens are placed, the rubble is clear. Draw an Artifact card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but even if you have an encounter with no attack, the encounter is typically just a dice roll to avoid something awful. Not much discovery really, and the HBTD roll forces you not to linger.

Likewise, the example above (which is a real card of course) tends not to be done much because again the HBTD roll makes it expensive to not press on no matter what. And even if you DO do it, it's a straightforward trade of risk (HBTD) vs. potential reward. You really don't learn much.

And that's a shame because the art on the tiles really makes you want to know more. It's an amazing job of drawing and conceptualizing the world.

In Fallout and Skyrim and Oblivion I always explored the WHOLE site down to the last pebble. In fallout I queried every last terminal to see what was going on there. In Skyrim and Oblivion I read every last book, even buying the hard bound ones (indeed I'm reading Skyrim vol II and volume III is at home waiting it's turn).

The game's great, but the settings are actually pretty interesting to me. I love the ancient snowy city, the mysterious swamp, the sad WWI that has led to total collapse of their civilization, and the even cooler sounding derelict spaceship with their necronauts. It would be nice if a game (not necessarily this one) gave you points for learning cool stuff about the lore and you could use those points to have some positive effect on the game or perhaps your own "people." Like stability points or defense points or something that helps a given western town work together or defend against darkness based attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wystan wrote:
David,

I can say personally we have had quite a few rooms that have an 'Encounter' with no attack, in fact I have seen missions with 4-5 of these rooms in a row...

So SoB can be both Jump Scare and Scenic Review...

While I haven't used them yet, I believe the advanced encounter rules would also contribute a bit to this.

I've also considered changing the mix of exploration tokens to de-emphasize the fights. If someone wanted to make it more of a player-controlled experience, I'd suggest letting players swap out one of the exploration tokens for the next mission. You'd want to identify the unique tokens (like the Growing Dread ones) and make them immune to manipulation. Maybe if players win you replace an attack with an encounter token (showing their effort to clean up the mines) and if players lose, vice versa? Giving players control would let them willingly go to more-dangerous or less-dangerous mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
This point and desire for a change in the feel of the game is where your individual creativity comes into play. You can modify the game by stacking the decks with specific orders for various types of desired outcomes. You just need to sit down to think about it.

If you want a more exploration like adventure, you could use the second set of exploration tokens and adjust the percentage outcomes a bit. Remove some ambushed/jump scare tokens and replace them with more encounters. put fewer clue tokens in and reduce the number needed to complete the mission.

The Frogs have provided, almost ad nauseum, sufficient tokens, cards, and other detritus, for you to create what you want. The foundation and mechanics of brimstone are great--you just need to put in the effort to make it what you want. The perfect example is Hexcrawl.

EDIT: Where Dave41 above is going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played where I allow myself to substitute the advanced encounter for an encounter I'm already having to take (my choice). That at least lets me play the encounter that matches the great art on the tiles.

To some extent the mines are a man-made phenomenon and MOST of the sorts of stuff (besides the monsters) you find there are not likely to be as cool as the frozen city.

It would be nice to have an actual story unfold as you play somehow. SoB has some role playing aspects (notably the characters and progression and combat which are all fun) but what players REALLY get out of RPGs is a good story with them as the heroes. This isn't an RPG but it may be the most similar experience of any game I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaspar Pujol
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
Maze of Galious forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have taken the advanced encounters out of the exploration deck. When we find a named room, we flip the exploration token. If it has one encounter it's the special one, we find it in the "special" deck and we read it. If it's two, then we take the second one from the generic deck. For the rest of the rooms we use just the generic deck.

If we manage to play more we'd probably trow a die (even/odd) to check if the room has its encounter or a random generic one, just for the sake of variety. Anyway, for now (6 plays) I've rarely found twice a mine room I'd been before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rule as printed is to resolve the advanced encounter in addition to what's on the token (either two encounters, or an encounter and an attack). Just using the advanced encounter seems like it would get stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
I thought the rule as printed is to resolve the advanced encounter in addition to what's on the token (either two encounters, or an encounter and an attack). Just using the advanced encounter seems like it would get stale.

That is the "advanced" rule. But to me if you have one encounter, it's better to use the encounter that goes with the tile if possible. In other words, I think using the Advanced encounter first seems no harder or easier than using a random encounter AND it's more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Dave41fan wrote:

That is the "advanced" rule. But to me if you have one encounter, it's better to use the encounter that goes with the tile if possible. In other words, I think using the Advanced encounter first seems no harder or easier than using a random encounter AND it's more thematic.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be played RAW for the advanced rules anyway? Encounter listed on the map card 'plus' whatever extra encounter the token may yield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.
Well, whole my "gaming life", I was looking just for that kind of expirience you are talking about. And i just found it in this game. But of cource not in the core or "original" game, but instead ih Hexcrawl campaign system which add really that immersive feeling. I strongly recommend using and trying it.
Admitedly, gameplay in the mines is hardly affected but overall feeling of exploration and what can happen to you in overland and cities is mind boggling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SenorMTD wrote:
This point and desire for a change in the feel of the game is where your individual creativity comes into play. You can modify the game by stacking the decks with specific orders for various types of desired outcomes. You just need to sit down to think about it.

I keep coming back to this idea, and the more I think about it the better it gets.

One player is the "narrator" for the session. That player picks the scenario, and stacks all the decks accordingly (map tiles, encounters, threats, exploration tokens, etc.). All players, including the narrator, then play the game.

The narrator could be the same person over multiple sessions, or the group can take turns. Ultimately, being able to have a cohesive thread (such as a recurring enemy type) could create the feeling that I think the OP is looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.