Subject: Anyone else finding the investigators bland? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Hanna
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
I feel that the investigators in 1E were far more interesting in regards to their unique starting items skills & stats.

Aside from not having personal starting items, all the players stats seem very uninspiring. 3 3 3 4 5 3 etc. Extremely bland and makes them feel quite interchangeable.

I quite enjoyed that some characters in 1E were very inept at certain tasks - made it feel more real I suppose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree. They're really just one special ability now coupled with a poor mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats are stats, and they fit the mechanics. I like rolling a handful of dice more than the single die of the original. But I DO miss the multiple stat lines for each investigator, the specific equipment they started with, and the once-per-game abilities they had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It's the one thing, imo, where they dropped the ball with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand why, as it's much easier to program an App to plan for a few special powers. Far harder to teach it to cater for the multitude of starter item combinations people could have. Although I still think they should have spent the time to do this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I like both. The miniatures and investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that too. I thought it was that with 1:st ed and expansions they had already used the "cool kids" and was left with this.
I will probably pick up the 2:nd ed expansions to get the more known investigators anyway.
Hope they are a bit more varied in skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Stats are stats, and they fit the mechanics. I like rolling a handful of dice more than the single die of the original. But I DO miss the multiple stat lines for each investigator, the specific equipment they started with, and the once-per-game abilities they had.

And you have nailed the problem. No more starting equipment for the most part, and only 1 special ability instead of 2.

Which makes them less interesting than 1st edition or Eldritch Horror counter parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try to give out the starting equipment for each scenario as thematically as possible to the characters. Would the priest carry item X? Would the secretary? This is what we did and it felt better than just min-maxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some starting equipment that the App handles for you. Notice how the app always lists Duke as the starting equipment for Ashcan Pete? I bet there's a few other investigators that have some starting variable predetermined.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompa79 wrote:
I feel that too. I thought it was that with 1:st ed and expansions they had already used the "cool kids" and was left with this.
I will probably pick up the 2:nd ed expansions to get the more known investigators anyway.
Hope they are a bit more varied in skills.

You already have the Investigators for the expansions in the conversion kit. You can see what their skills are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats true! I didnt bother to open the conversion kit, since I do not have the first edition. I just put it in the bottom of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
There are some starting equipment that the App handles for you. Notice how the app always lists Duke as the starting equipment for Ashcan Pete? I bet there's a few other investigators that have some starting variable predetermined.

-shnar

Why 'bet' on it? Just look at their cards. 'Ashcan' Pete starts with the 'Duke' special item and Kate Winthrop starts with the 'Flux Capacitor' special Item. This is clearly outlined on their card, no need to wait for the App to tell you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Why 'bet' on it? Just look at their cards. 'Ashcan' Pete starts with the 'Duke' special item and Kate Winthrop starts with the 'Flux Capacitor' special Item. This is clearly outlined on their card, no need to wait for the App to tell you.

Cuz there are probably other factors, such as spells, common items, etc, that are not listed on the cards.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Cuz there are probably other factors, such as spells, common items, etc, that are not listed on the cards.

-shnar

Which is entirely your unsubstantiated supposition. So you should really say 'possibly' rather than 'probably'.

I can tell you from copious experimentation with the App that this doesn't appear to be the case outside of the two examples above, and they are clearly laid out on the character cards, but it's okay, I get that you didn't notice and are now trying to rescue your amazing observation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
shnar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

Which is entirely your unsubstantiated supposition. So you should really say 'possibly' rather than 'probably'.

I can tell you from copious experimentation with the App that this doesn't appear to be the case outside of the two examples above, and they are clearly laid out on the character cards, but it's okay, I get that you didn't notice and are now trying to rescue your amazing observation

Um yeah, that's why I said "I bet" and "probably", all meaning conjecture. But please, since you've experimented copiously, explain to us what the parameters are for the random items given at the beginning of the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

I play as Dexter Drake a lot, and I've noticed that the game will always start you with an attack spell (usually Wither) if you have him in the game. I've also noticed the Holy Cross everytime we've had Father Mateo in the group.

Now this could be coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if the app took the particular characters into consideration when selecting starting items (outside of the obvious ones; Flux Stabilizer and Duke)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I can understand why, as it's much easier to program an App to plan for a few special powers. Far harder to teach it to cater for the multitude of starter item combinations people could have. Although I still think they should have spent the time to do this

I'm not really sure that's a factor, though. The app isn't tracking a ton of info on the Investigaators, after all.

Road to Legend works just fine and those Heroes have tons of powers and options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps what we need, is something similar to those "personal stories" feature in Arkham Horror expansion. Give those investigator some stuff to do that's specific to them, could do some wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.