Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom mentioned this in the latest Blender episode - AEG is going to do basically the same thing as Asmodee to curtail online sales. Can anyone point to this info anywhere online? And why hasn't it been mentioned in the BGG news at all (or anywhere on BGG even)? Seems like pretty big news to ONLY be referenced in a Dice Tower video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be just the first one to know about it. If true, I'm sure the news will spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
They might be just the first one to know about it. If true, I'm sure the news will spread.

I just find it weird that I can't even find a press release about it. The way Tom talked about it, it sounded like this was an official announcement he was reporting on, not something that he got from "a source" or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom reported Thunderstone Advanced as being dead in a Youtube comment before anybody else was willing to say it was really dead and assumed it was merely between print runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
It's more than likely true and it was probably something Tom either let slip or he mentioned it because the person who told him didn't suggest it was any sort of secret.

God, it must be a great time to get into the local friendly store business, with all these wonderful companies looking out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
God, it must be a great time to get into the local friendly store business, with all these wonderful companies looking out for you!

A truly special time. I wonder when the acquisition announcement is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

My two 'local' game stores are both over half an hour away -- and they're both shi'ite. The nearest halfway-decent one is well over an hour away (their disposition is quite sunni). The publishers could jack the online prices up 25% over the store cost and I'll still do 80% of my shopping online as it's still cheaper than the fuel + time cost to do it in person (unless there happens to be another reason to be in the neighborhood, which there sometimes is).

I suspect this type of situation applies to a significant chunk of their market and they know it. More of a cash grab than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Tom mentioned this in the latest Blender episode - AEG is going to do basically the same thing as Asmodee to curtail online sales. Can anyone point to this info anywhere online? And why hasn't it been mentioned in the BGG news at all (or anywhere on BGG even)? Seems like pretty big news to ONLY be referenced in a Dice Tower video.

I would be curious to know if there are any metrics to show whether or not this change in pricing between online and retail stores has impacted the end user's decision of where they buy.

I personally will continue to buy online as it is still less expensive, my local game store is pretty far away, and I find my local game store has poor customer service.

I'm interested to know how many people are in a similar camp as me or how many have been more encouraged to buy at local games stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

I would be curious to know if there are any metrics to show whether or not this change in pricing between online and retail stores has impacted the end user's decision of where they buy.

I personally will continue to buy online as it is still less expensive, my local game store is pretty far away, and I find my local game store has poor customer service.

I'm interested to know how many people are in a similar camp as me or how many have been more encouraged to buy at local games stores.

My nearest FLGS is about 45 minutes away, has great service but isn't open very late and flows against traffic, so in the evening it would be over an hour. I order almost exclusively online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
broken clock wrote:

My two 'local' game stores are both over half an hour away -- and they're both shi'ite. The nearest halfway-decent one is well over an hour away (their disposition is quite sunni). The publishers could jack the online prices up 25% over the store cost and I'll still do 80% of my shopping online as it's still cheaper than the fuel + time cost to do it in person (unless there happens to be another reason to be in the neighborhood, which there sometimes is).

I suspect this type of situation applies to a significant chunk of their market and they know it. More of a cash grab than anything else.

Joke is on them as far as I'm concerned though. Asmodee did this and I cut my board game spending by 70% and I'm playing Guild Wars 2 now. Most of what I'm still buying is from them since Asmodee now owns everyone except AEG, but my shelves are full already anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

Personally I've moved about 50% of my online spending to my local game store now. I still buy some of the daily deals/holiday sales online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying more from Amazon as they are rather immune to such tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm spending significantly less, and purchasing used almost exclusively now.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an absolutely absurd idea. Gen Y (Millennials) and Gen Z are increasingly buying via online outlets, with no sign of this trend slowing down. A shift from brick & mortar to eCommerce isn't only a good idea now-a-days; it's a necessity. All successful markets and businesses have recognized and embraced this trend. To try and curtail this movement is futile and will only hurt the FLGSs (and presumably the hobby in general) in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkowitz wrote:
This is an absolutely absurd idea. Gen Y (Millennials) and Gen Z are increasingly buying via online outlets, with no sign of this trend slowing down. A shift from brick & mortar to eCommerce isn't only a good idea now-a-days; it's a necessity. All successful markets and businesses have recognized and embraced this trend. To try and curtail this movement is futile and will only hurt the FLGSs (and presumably the hobby in general) in the end.

Gen Y is why this makes the most sense. They are living in apartments the size of the average BGGer's master bedroom or in the basement of their parents and have no place to play. They depend on the FLGS more than anyone to have a location to game. Further these companies are ramping up organized play since it leads to repeat purchases and that only takes place and brick and mortar stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Further these companies are ramping up organized play since it leads to repeat purchases and that only takes place and brick and mortar stores.

Whoa -- Did you just call out AEG supporting organized play? Have you been to one of their events? The O-word ain't what comes to mind.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
kirkowitz wrote:

Gen Y is why this makes the most sense. They are living in apartments the size of the average BGGer's master bedroom or in the basement of their parents and have no place to play. They depend on the FLGS more than anyone to have a location to game. Further these companies are ramping up organized play since it leads to repeat purchases and that only takes place and brick and mortar stores.

As a Millennial myself, I (respectfully) couldn't disagree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Further these companies are ramping up organized play since it leads to repeat purchases and that only takes place and brick and mortar stores.

Whoa -- Did you just call out AEG supporting organized play? Have you been to one of their events? The O-word ain't what comes to mind.

S.

Come on, they used to run massive L5R tournaments, with hundreds of participants, and the time between 60 minute rounds (getting the next round ready) was only 75-90 minutes. Oh, wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Martin
United States
Franklinton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again we see that companies in the industry think that the current spurt of growth in the hobby is going to continue and enormous profits will be had. They believe everyday, non-gamer people are just going to buy into designer gaming, drop $60 to $80 on a given game and become a hobby gaming fanatic. Pipe dreams and delusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMartin7777 wrote:
non-gamer people are just going to buy into designer gaming and drop $60 to $80 on a given game and become a hobby gaming fanatic. Pipe dream and delusion.

I don't think AEG even has a $60 game, so don't worry, you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Martin
United States
Franklinton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
AMartin7777 wrote:
non-gamer people are just going to buy into designer gaming and drop $60 to $80 on a given game and become a hobby gaming fanatic. Pipe dream and delusion.

I don't think AEG even has a $60 game, so don't worry, you'll be fine.

Not yet. . .

I'm not speaking to my own purchasing ability concerns, I'm willing to pay that much or more for a great game. I'm speaking to the "pie in the sky" inflation the companies think is going to go come their way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains Lists for $59.99
Trains: Rising Sun Lists for $59.99
War of Honor Lists for $59.99
Dominare Lists for $59.99
Tomb: Cryptmaster Listed for $59.99
Thunderstone Advance: Numenera Listed for $59.99
Tomb Listed for $59.95
Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan Lists for $54.99

Granted- these are the MSRPs and plenty of retailers will have marked them down. But my local shops don't. Well, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't- depends on the title and the mood of whoever is pricing the games on a given day.

(Funny story there- one of my local shops has horrendous inventory management and will often have the exact same title marked at two or even three different prices. I once purchased two copies of the same game at the same time for two different prices. The girl at the counter was young and I didn't want to harass her about it. And the price difference was only two dollars or so, so I didn't feel like it was worth the trouble.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Roots
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread. Anyone find a link to the formal announcement/details? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't mean much to me. My circumstances are given I have much fewer gaming opportunities than before, the total pool of games I bought from 5 to 10 years ago, the games that others in my group already have, and the occasional new game they bring in... I think I'm easily covered for the next year or 2 as far as "running out of games to play".

I'll only buy games if they're at least 50% off. Otherwise, not missing much anyways. Actually, more in line with this....

Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm spending significantly less, and purchasing used almost exclusively now.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder where does that leave us in central europe, as all the big online shops are also local shops and vice versa. I order online and pick up in person. Best of both worlds or worst of both? Or none... didn't notice much change so far.

Since Amazon, Ebay etc. won't touch the Czech Republic for some reason, there are only FLGS/OLGS to buy from. Toy stores and book stores carry a very limited selection, if any at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.