878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » General

Subject: Why should I buy this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have "1812: The invasion of Canada", and I like it. I love that it is a short game, the game system, the posibility of alteration during the game, and the sense of war.
I totally prefer the Viking theme, instead of Napoleonic one. Appart for this, I think the new game (879) only has a few changes in initial distribution and rules for leaders. It only is playable by 4 players and has the same mechanics. If it could have a competitive or semi-cooperative way of play... However this changes are insufficients to justify the purchase.
But I love their theme. Why should I buy "879 Vikings: the invasions of England"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
HANJEL wrote:
I have "1812: The invasion of Canada", and I like it. I love that it is a short game, the game system, the posibility of alteration during the game, and the sense of war.

Well first off I'd suggest checking out 1775: Rebellion. I own both 1812 and 1775 and I'd say 1775 is simply the better game.

I can't comment about 879, but I look forward to reading the other comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
HANJEL wrote:
Why should I buy "879 Vikings: the invasions of England"?

It appears on first blush that the better question might be why should you keep 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Sounds like a swap is in order.

879 appears to indicate 2-4 players, at least here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, i thought it was 2-4 players as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelly Pantz
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
You can't buy it, we're all still anxiously awaiting the Kickstarter for it to be announced. But I've already pre-ordered 1754 Conquest because I love 1775 so much - gameplay & the beautiful map - I'm psyched for these games. I've only played the tutorial game of 1812, very cool but very much a 1.0 of the games system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
It appears on first blush that the better question might be why should you keep 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Sounds like a swap is in order.

I should keep 1812 because my group of play is usually composed by 5 gamers. Otherwise you are right.

Jelly, I know I can't buy 879. I'm looking for an excuse to buy it as soon as I can. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Pooba

Bowling Green
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to live about 30 min away from Academy games and have had the opportunity to play test this game several times. I have also played the other two 1812 and 1775. I can honestly say that this game is by far a lot more fun to play. I have about 6 games in, some of them being fairly early in the design process. In every game I have played there has been plenty of shouting and cheers as we moved units around the board. I think one of the most unique things about this one versus the other two is the invasion turns for the vikings. They can attack anywhere on the coast and the turns in between invasion turns are very tense as you are trying to anticipate your opponents next invasion site. I also found there to be a lot more talking an planning with teammates.

The game does play best with 4 players, however there is a 5th player that represents militia and are far weaker than the others. They are so week that we found it best for the "Home" team to share responsibility for them. I freely admit that it has been a while since I played the game and they may have eliminated the 5th player and absorbed them in to the "home" team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericb wrote:
I happen to live about 30 min away from Academy games and have had the opportunity to play test this game several times. I have also played the other two 1812 and 1775. I can honestly say that this game is by far a lot more fun to play. I have about 6 games in, some of them being fairly early in the design process. In every game I have played there has been plenty of shouting and cheers as we moved units around the board. I think one of the most unique things about this one versus the other two is the invasion turns for the vikings. They can attack anywhere on the coast and the turns in between invasion turns are very tense as you are trying to anticipate your opponents next invasion site. I also found there to be a lot more talking an planning with teammates.

The game does play best with 4 players, however there is a 5th player that represents militia and are far weaker than the others. They are so week that we found it best for the "Home" team to share responsibility for them. I freely admit that it has been a while since I played the game and they may have eliminated the 5th player and absorbed them in to the "home" team.

Very interesting opinion... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
"Subject: Why should I buy this game?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Where's the love for 1812? I love both 1775 & 1812, but they do play quite a bit differently:

1. 1812 can play 5, so it's got that going for it.

2. 1775 is very chaotic, with naval cards dropping off huge armies up and down the coast, fighting over tenuous control for each colony.

1812 is much more traditional. You can still surprise the other side with a naval card or some other tricks, but it doesn't swing as much as 1775.

Now Vikings adds the leaders, so it plays very differently than the other 3 games.

So in the end, it has a cool theme/history, and I think it plays quite a bit different than the others in the series.

That's why you should buy our game! Now enjoy your weekend, hopefully by getting some games in.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericb wrote:

I wish I lived 30 minutes away from Fremont... would make this job a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.