Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



Pretty sure the Bible doesn't say that.



Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK how the hell does it violate his faith knowing about LBGT people, I wouild love to know.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him, this is a new rule and thus a change to his conditions. But then they should just offering him a new contract to sign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I eagerly await tstone's view on this...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
OK how the hell does it violate his faith knowing about LBGT people, I wouild love to know.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him, this is a new rule and thus a change to his conditions. But then they should just offering him a new contract to sign.


Surely not. His job requires him to serve members of the public. As part of any job the employer can insist on you undertaking various on-the-job training and/or reading various educational/informational material about the policy of the employer. This isn't a change of contract, his terms of employment are still exactly the same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
OK how the hell does it violate his faith knowing about LBGT people, I wouild love to know.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him, this is a new rule and thus a change to his conditions. But then they should just offering him a new contract to sign.


Surely not. His job requires him to serve members of the public. As part of any job the employer can insist on you undertaking various on-the-job training and/or reading various educational/informational material about the policy of the employer. This isn't a change of contract, his terms of employment are still exactly the same.
That is why I said I had only a little bit of sympathy for him.

He is being treated no worse then millions of other workers do everyday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



To live in a tolerant society, we have to accept differences among our fellow human beings. This man may have to work with LGBT individuals, and thus he needs to know what is appropriate to say around them, or what might be offensive to them.

In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
...and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.
Quote:
Usage has not always been so clearly distinguished. In the King James Version of the New Testament, "μῦθος" ("mythos") was rendered by the translators as "fable"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable

Just sayin'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
This guy just needs to do what all rational people do when it comes to watching diversity training videos in the workplace.

Turn the sound down and tab across to reddit or something.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
This guy just needs to do what all rational people do when it comes to watching diversity training videos in the workplace.

Turn the sound down and tab across to reddit or something.

Yep, I remember just this crap at a place I worked, no bugger actually watched them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.
Religious beliefs aren't remotely similar to being LGBT. People don't choose to be LGBT, they are born that way. People choose their religious beliefs or have them indoctrinated into them as no one is born with an imaginary friend that tells them to discriminate against LGBT people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



To live in a tolerant society, we have to accept differences among our fellow human beings. This man may have to work with LGBT individuals, and thus he needs to know what is appropriate to say around them, or what might be offensive to them.

In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.

RSP in VOLUNTARY and unmoderated, Just sayin'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't doubt that, like Kim Davis, some laywer will pick up his case, expect the lawsuit to come out in the near future, when he gets fired. This case is slightly different that the Kim Davis one, in that her beliefs were interfering with her PRIMARY scope of work within her agency, probably not so the case with this gentleman. But I suspect this will be pursued in court, by some lawyer eager to represent those that feel similar to him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



To live in a tolerant society, we have to accept differences among our fellow human beings. This man may have to work with LGBT individuals, and thus he needs to know what is appropriate to say around them, or what might be offensive to them.

In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.


Hey, thanks for that enlightening post about my right to point out that I believe in the fictional character Jeebus in the Big Book of Fables.

Remember, faith is a private matter, regardless of what other people say, do, or evoke...

Just sayin'.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



To live in a tolerant society, we have to accept differences among our fellow human beings. This man may have to work with LGBT individuals, and thus he needs to know what is appropriate to say around them, or what might be offensive to them.

In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.


When religion keeps it within its doors, when its practitioners don't prostelytize, and when these "religions" are accepting of everyone... then I'll put away my belief system, which the last time I checked, was free to express.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Lump with a head believes that Jeebus doesn't want him to watch diversity training videos because it contradicts something in the book of fables...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-08/man-would-...



To live in a tolerant society, we have to accept differences among our fellow human beings. This man may have to work with LGBT individuals, and thus he needs to know what is appropriate to say around them, or what might be offensive to them.

In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."

Just sayin'.


In short... respect is earned, but not granted to those institutions or followers that support/preach/believe in a set of principles that doesn't replicate said transaction.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
myopia wrote:
This guy just needs to do what all rational people do when it comes to watching diversity training videos in the workplace.

Turn the sound down and tab across to reddit or something.



But that wouldn't give him this opportunity to feel persecuted.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
cbazler wrote:


In turn, employees should also receive sensitivity training about how to respectfully treat people with different religious beliefs than their own. I'm pretty sure that includes not mocking the name of their most important religious figure as "Jeebus" and calling their holy book a "book of fables."


At work, sure. In RSP?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Religious beliefs aren't remotely similar to being LGBT. People don't choose to be LGBT, they are born that way. People choose their religious beliefs or have them indoctrinated into them as no one is born with an imaginary friend that tells them to discriminate against LGBT people.


Eh, it's not the same for everyone.

I chose my religion in about the same way that I chose my sexuality. After years of searching and experimenting, I found what felt right. I couldn't force myself Calvinist any more than I could force myself straight. If I was born bi or not is up for debate, but I'm not sure it's actually a debate worth having. I don't think it matters.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the origins of someone's identity should inform your degree of tolerance. It seems very essentialist, so I don't really grok it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
I'm a little puzzled as to why you feel the origins of someone's identity should inform your degree of tolerance. It seems very essentialist, so I don't really grok it.
The way I see it is that your biology and the way that your brain processes data is not something that you can change. You don't have a choice if you are born attracted to the same sex or if you identify as female but have male sex organs. Hormonal balances and your biology pretty much dictate who you are with some minor influences from your environment.

Religion is not something that you are born with. There's no such thing as a christian/muslim/jewish baby. There are LGBT babies and I disagree that it's something we can debate even though you feel that you had a choice in your sexuality. I'm not sure how many LGBT people there are who would claim that they chose to be how they are but I'm guessing it's a minority.

Why should that inform my degree of tolerance? It does because one can't change their biology but they can change their beliefs based on actual data or lack of data. Should we also be more tolerant of white supremacists and other racists just because it's their fervent belief based on lies and mythologies? I see religion the same way. It's based on lies and mythologies and not on actual data and doesn't deserve the same respect. I respect evidence not biased stories.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Religion is not something that you are born with. There's no such thing as a christian/muslim/jewish baby. There are LGBT babies and I disagree that it's something we can debate even though you feel that you had a choice in your sexuality. I'm not sure how many LGBT people there are who would claim that they chose to be how they are but I'm guessing it's a minority.

Why should that inform my degree of tolerance? It does because one can't change their biology but they can change their beliefs based on actual data or lack of data. Should we also be more tolerant of white supremacists and other racists just because it's their fervent belief based on lies and mythologies? I see religion the same way. It's based on lies and mythologies and not on actual data and doesn't deserve the same respect. I respect evidence not biased stories.


Religion is not something you are born with, but for a majority of people, like ethnicity or national origin, it's not really a choice either. Yeah, you could abandon everything you've been taught to believe your entire life, around which your values, your social relationships, and your sense of identity have all been centered for your entire life. But you're very unlikely to.

I just think it's rude (and TBH I've found darthhugo to be pretty rude in most of his RSP interactions so far). To me, it's no better than making fun of Spaniards or Italians, or Gypsies, or Jews. Bigotry is bigotry.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
To me, it's no better than making fun of Spaniards or Italians, or Gypsies, or Jews. Bigotry is bigotry.

Are we agreed on the French at least?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Religion is not something you are born with, but for a majority of people, like ethnicity or national origin, it's not really a choice either. Yeah, you could abandon everything you've been taught to believe your entire life, around which your values, your social relationships, and your sense of identity have all been centered for your entire life. But you're very unlikely to.
This is unfortunately true and also the reason why some atheists speak out against the lack of evidence for belief. It affects all of society in ways that I don't think should be tolerated. The 3 main religions produce a lot of hate, separation, and intolerance against people who can not change who they are. I grew up in an extreme religious environment and it took me far too long to break out of the lies and mythologies. I grew up quite racist and homophobic all thanks to these belief systems. Imo any amount of good these religions may produce is eclipsed by the foul racist, homophobic, and misogynistic ideas that they continue to preach (though it's slowly changing).

Quote:
I just think it's rude (and TBH I've found darthhugo to be pretty rude in most of his RSP interactions so far). To me, it's no better than making fun of Spaniards or Italians, or Gypsies, or Jews. Bigotry is bigotry.
Meh, I thumb ideas that I agree with regardless of the poster's prior history or interactions. Rsp is where assholes come to voice their opinions; that's never going to change and make no mistake, we are all assholes here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
cbazler wrote:


Religion is not something you are born with, but for a majority of people, like ethnicity or national origin, it's not really a choice either. Yeah, you could abandon everything you've been taught to believe your entire life, around which your values, your social relationships, and your sense of identity have all been centered for your entire life. But you're very unlikely to.


Maybe if you're born into an very secluded religion like Amish people, where you are extremely isolated from outside influences. Most Christians, however, are exposed from an early age to secular influences. It's very common for atheists to have been brought up in a religious family. So I really reject the notion that it's not somehow a choice once one becomes an adult and not just a small child.

Where on earth are you getting this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.