$20.00
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if any of the scenarios have a variant layout with uses tiles from those 2 expansions?

I'm considering buying one of the new mini and tile collections to add variety to existing scenarios. I know that 1st and 3rd scenario use some tiles from old base game (or Recurring Nighmares collection). But I haven't heard yet anythink about tiles from FA and CotW (or Supressed Memories collection) being used.

I can afford only 1 of the collections and I am trying to figure with one brings more value to the game. Any help is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Not really. None from CotW are used and only 2 from FA, assuming you roll up the right map. So get the other pack unless the theme is more important to you. 13 Tiles from MoM1E base game are used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
If you want precise details:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
'Cycle of Eternity' has 1 variation which uses a single tile from 'Forbidden Alchemy'.

That is all. None of the scenarios to date use the 'Call of the Wild' tiles.

Note that even the scenario variant that uses 'Forbidden Alchemy' tiles also uses 1st edition base so enabling 'Forbidden Alchemy' / 'Call of the Wild' ('Suppressed Memories')only will not enable any new map variations.

Summary:

Enabling Recurring Nightmares will enable 2 new variations.
Enabling Suppressed Memories will not enable any new variations.
Enabling both will enable the 2 above plus 1 more.

At present the 1st edition base (Recurring Nightmares) is the one to get in terms of base game usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

At present the 1st edition base (Recurring Nightmares) is the one to get in terms of base game usage.

Only if you're talking tiles. I've had several of my Call of the Wild monsters show up and the extra investigators are always a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Only if you're talking tiles. I've had several of my Call of the Wild monsters show up and the extra investigators are always a plus.

Yes, speaking only in terms of tile usage, which is what the OP asked about.

In terms of investigators added and monsters used they are about even. Although the investigators and monsters are perfectly usable with the conversion kit only which I explained here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1636024/base-game-totally-pl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for quick reply.

That's really disappointing if only 1 tile from FA and CotW is used in jusr 1 scenario (

Too bad , I looked up the tiles and ones from CotW looked really nice. Well, it looks like Recurring Nighmares is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps not in the current scenarios but there are two new scenarios to accompany the new expansions. So it would seem a little odd if at least one of these didn't include tiles from the new expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Well CotW is mostly outdoor / wilderness tiles. We don't really have any scenarios in 2e that need those yet. I'm fairly sure we will get a big box expansion with those sort of tiles for 2e at some point, and scenarios to go with them. When we do, I'd imagine the CotW tiles will see a lot of use in alternative maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
Well CotW is mostly outdoor / wilderness tiles. We don't really have any scenarios in 2e that need those yet. I'm fairly sure we will get a big box expansion with those sort of tiles for 2e at some point, and scenarios to go with them. When we do, I'd imagine the CotW tiles will see a lot of use in alternative maps.

I hope so. The new Cult of Sentinal Hill scenario will use mainly CotW tiles. Hopefully they make more using them but as this is Mansions of Madness it is fair to assume that base set tiles will end up seeing more play in future scenarios.

There is a lot we just don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

Yeah I was going to say this. It's understandable that not many FA/CotW tiles are used since most of them are forest/wilderness/laboratory themed.

Outside of a few select spots, they don't fit the Mansion/Innsmouth theme of the first 4 scenarios. I'm sure as more scenarios come out, more tiles will see usage. Just the same, as more tiles are released that fit with the Innsmouth/Mansion theme, I'm sure we'll get more layout options for these base set scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Magic Pink wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Dexter Drake from Forbidden Alchemy is best spellcaster in the game by far.

After you resolve the effect on the back of the spell card, you become focused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
BreadRising wrote:
I'm sure as more scenarios come out, more tiles will see usage. Just the same, as more tiles are released that fit with the Innsmouth/Mansion theme, I'm sure we'll get more layout options for these base set scenarios.

Who knows what we'll see in the future, but I would be very surprised if any of those scenarios received additional variants as the maps are built too specifically to the scenario (for example, in 'Escape from Innsmouth' the movement of the Mob is programmed to the map layout). On top of that it seems like it would just be a waste of design time when they could be designing much needed new scenarios.

One thing that would be nice is when they eventually release a physical expansion with new cards, they retroactively added them to the older scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.