Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/when-will-idiots-other-end-...

Quote:
Things are going to hell in this country, and I, for one, have had just about enough of it. I wish I could say there was nothing we could have done to prevent this, but the sad truth is that we’ve got one truly brainless political party out there that’s trying to impose its foolish and irresponsible agenda on all of us, and look where we’ve ended up because of them! If we’re serious about getting America back on track, all those morons are going to need to shut up, take a good, hard look in the mirror, and start seeing things from my point of view.

Partisan hatred seems to be rising to new levels
From the Pew forum a research study on Partisanship

http://www.people-press.org/2016/06/22/partisanship-and-poli...

Yesterday I had my class play a game that was to make them extremely competitive against each other. We then had a discussion on how much the game made them angry and hate each other.

The people on the other side are not your enemies as W.H. Auden once said

Quote:
if equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I just dislike both parties pretty much equally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Recently encountered this song. I think you'll like the stanza in the middle.

So to Speak
Sting
Lyrics
They're seriously saying it's prolonging me life,
If I'll only submit to the surgical knife?
But what are the odds on a month or a week?
When the betting shop's closing its doors, so to speak.
When you're tied to a pump and a breathing machine,
With their X-rays and probes and their monitor screens,
And they'll wake ye up hungry, saying "How do ye feel?"
And then you're stuffed full of pills and a barium meal.

Prolonging me life? Now that's some kind of joke!
I'd be laughing me head off and I'd probably choke.
The spirit's still willing but the rest of me's weak,
Now the bets are all off and the prospects look bleak,
When you're laid like a piece of old meat on the slab,
And they'll cut and they'll slice, and they'll poke and they'll jab,
And they'll grill ye and burn ye, and they'll wish ye good health,
With their radium, chemo and God knows what else?

Well ye can't fault the science, though the logic is weak,
Is it really an eternal life we should seek?
That ship has sailed,
That ship has sailed,
That ship has already sailed... so to speak.

Our mission is more than a struggle for breath,
For a few extra rounds in a fight to the death.
When our mission is love, and compassion and grace,
It's not a test of endurance, or a marathon race.
For love is the sabre, and love is the shield,
Love is the only true power we wield,
An eternal love is all ye should seek,
That ship will be ready to sail... so to speak.

I hear what you're saying 'cos I've heard it before,
But I'm afraid if I let what is past through my door,
How long would he stay, a month or a week,
When that ship has already sailed, so to speak?
Should I settle for something that's safe on this Earth?
What would it profit me, what is it worth?
If I lose something precious, completely unique?

When it's only eternity's love we should seek

For when that ship sails, and the course has been set,
And the wind's in the offing and the sails have been let,
And the hatches are full, and the hull doesn't leak,
And the ship is all ready to sail... so to speak.

I'm tired and fading and losing the light,
And I've no way to tell if it's day or it's night

Follow your heart, it's the harbour ye seek

And this ship is ready to sail,
This ship is ready to sail

This ship is ready to sail... so to speak.

Songwriters: Gordon Sumner
So to Speak lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
What if I just dislike both parties pretty much equally?

You of course are free to dislike whatever you want and to be honest I fall into this more often than I would like.

When I am more aware though I prefer to focus on the people in the parties. It's so much easier to hate a political party because it seems so inhuman. I have friends in both parties and have found that there are good people in both.

You can say the glass is half full or half empty to use the cliche and you would be right with either statement, but if you say half full then you are both right and a happier person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

So to Speak
Sting

Thanks for that song. I found it fun to listen to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think partisanship and divisiveness in Congress and other political institutions are on the rise in general, but I think the people are apathetic because they expect results, they want legislation passed, good or bad, they want these institutions to do the job that it was intended they do. When Congress cant get out of it's own way to pass legislation, when corruption and financial malfeasance is made obvious in the system, when a Presidential discussoin circles around the candidates health, as opposed to a topic that directly affects their well being, people lose faith in their elected government, and no wonder. Party politics has been brought to a new level in the past decade or two, but sadly it's a level whereby people are partisan of divisive, strictly because they tow the party line, not because they necessarily oppose the policy of the person on the other side of the aisle. Towing the party line means nothing gets done. The stalling of Merrick Garland's nominatoin to the Supreme Court is the typical example of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
I think partisanship and divisiveness in Congress and other political institutions are on the rise in general, but I think the people are apathetic because they expect results,

Unfortunately from what I can see and from what the research study shows that I cite, its not apathy that is the problem but antipathy.

I get what you are saying about the rest though. Gridlock is the result of half of the country hating the other half and vice versa. Compromise is seen as not only weakness but as evil. It's evil to make deals with the devil, and the other side is obviously the devil. If people can't work together than gridlock is the result. I blame the people or us more than our leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Anger is a tool, just ask the Tea Party types. They had their anger whipped up and manipulated by Republicans in congress, and in the end what did it get them? It got them little and less at the federal level. But it sure did funnel a shitload of $$$ to Republican re-election campaigns, full of promises to "stick it to the liberals in Washington."

Trump voters are being played for fools in the exact same manner. Whip up a hysteria against the current government, get them to believe you have answers that neither you nor anyone has, then extract their cash during campaign season while using them as props at campaign rallies.

It's no surprise that the loudest screaming children are in the tank for Trump or Hillary, while the vast swath of non-partisan pragmatic independent adults look to third-parties or reasonably intelligent alternatives. Ask yourself an easy question: Is your primary voting goal based on policy, or simply to "stick it to the other guy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you tallied all of the "lesser evil" votes, I would not be surprised for it to reach 80-90% of all votes for either party. Very few people in any election are thinking "Yeah, this is my guy, he's perfect and I trust him implicitly!" Certainly not in this election. They're thinking "If I don't vote for this guy who is sort of aligned with me, but kind of a dick sometimes, or kind of corrupt, or kind of whatever, this other really really even eviler dude might win. I can't have that.

And both sides play into that with a passion as well, which takes the whole thing into a steeper and steeper tail spin.

I was done with it 15 years ago. Now I just watch everything continue to burn to the ground and weep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.