Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I, the developer, Alan Emrich, have recently met with the designer of CRUEL NECESSITY, John Welch, and we were going over all the forum comments to make tweaks for an overseas printing of this game to keep it in stock after we cease print-on-demand publishing next year.

There were about a dozen minor corrections here and there in the rules book; no changes, just clarifications.

But the constant feedback about the stiff price of Achievement cards during the First Civil War ("bronze age") got us talking a great deal. Watch for these official changes when the overseas-printed edition of CRUEL NECESSITY is published sometime in the future (and, no, don't ask; we do not know when that is yet -- we are only preparing for that day):

Card #3: Zeal Cost = 2; VPs (blue triangles) = 1.

Card #5: Zeal Cost = 2; VPs (blue triangles) = 1.

Card #9: Zeal Cost = 3; VPs (blue triangles) = 2; add note, "see 8.6".

Card #17: Zeal Cost = 3; VPs (blue triangles) = 2.

Card #23: Add "Fortress" to Edinburgh reference; Parliament should be GREATER THAN OR equal to "B"; Zeal Cost = 3; VPs (blue triangles) = 2.

Card #36: Add "Fortress" to Edinburgh reference.

Card #49: Add "Fortress" to Edinburgh reference.

Yeah, since Edinburgh is both the name of a region AND a fortress, we needed to be clear that those achievements are referencing the fortress, not the area.

In our estimation, these tweaks (which are the only real changes) should net players 1-3 Achievements during the First Civil War (instead of the usual 0, which many have lamented), and we feel that is about right and what players should be accomplishing.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan -
Would current circumstances permit the publication of updated cards for current owners? (For a reasonable fee, of course ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That Guy
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jascps wrote:
Alan -
Would current circumstances permit the publication of updated cards for current owners? (For a reasonable fee, of course ...)

Take my money too!

On an unrelated note to John... happy 35 year MLHS reunion! Did you go to the party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No, I'm afraid not. That's a slippery slope for us with all the games we need to port to overseas manufacturing. If you want to incorporate the tweaks listed above, you'll need to figure out how to do that, I'm afraid.

Sorry,

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see that this great game is still garnering attention. It's a classic in my humble oh.
Top-shelf quality product!
THE PROOF:

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm afraid not. That's a slippery slope for us with all the games we need to port to overseas manufacturing. If you want to incorporate the tweaks listed above, you'll need to figure out how to do that, I'm afraid.

Sorry,

Alan Emrich

Wrong answer for those of us who really like this game but would like the updated tweaked cards as well.

Glad to see though you are making some adjustments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wil
United Kingdom
South London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
How about a small set of stickers for a few pounds etc.
Chris.
London UK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
chris_r_wilkins wrote:
How about a small set of stickers for a few pounds etc.
Or perhaps a .pdf made available to print at home for pasteups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or perhaps a .pdf made available to print at home for pasteups?

That I can do. I don't know about uploading to BGG, however. If one of you wants to write me at alanemrich@victorypointgames.com, I'll send you those .pdf files and you can share them here.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news, Alan. Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Castle Pines
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my cards with a label maker and some scissors. I didn't add the "fortress" language, as I already knew that applied. This works for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tysen
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
claggie wrote:

I updated my cards with a label maker and some scissors.

Those look really good, I'll have to consider doing that myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lageri
Denmark
Søndersø
Fyn
flag msg tools
If the achievement cards are changed shouldn't the victory point levels be changed accordingly?
Best Regards
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterLageri wrote:
If the achievement cards are changed shouldn't the victory point levels be changed accordingly?
Best Regards
Peter

Please don't think about making it any harder......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lageri
Denmark
Søndersø
Fyn
flag msg tools
Huh? I was think about lowering the levels since fewer blue triangels are now available.

Best Regards
Peter

Dave in Ledbury wrote:
PeterLageri wrote:
Best Regards
Peter

Please don't think about making it any harder......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.