7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quest Rules: rewards section rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
Hi,

my friends and I are going to play the Heirs of Blood campaign for the second time and this time I will play as Overlord.

We played the previous campaign like this:
the Overlord was the only one who was allowed to read the quest handbook. He read to us every special rules and winning conditions. The only exception were parts classified as hidden, so we had no disadvantages. AFTER the game ended he told us the rewards.

Is the rewards section to be read BEFORE the quest starts or AFTER the winning conditions are fulfilled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the HoB notes, but the original quest guide clearly states that: unless noted, none of the information is secret. The overlord may place some tokens secretly in some scenarios, but the information in the guide isn't secret per se.

Of course, every group is free to play in whatever manner they find most enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player should have total access to the quest book. It is good practice to make a photocopy of the quest book and send it to all the players. It speeds up the game when all players arrive at a session prepared and having read all details about the quest to be played. Also, this reduces the chance of the overlord "forgetting" a rule.

The rewards section, just as the rest of the entire quest book, is common knowledge.

Just out of curiosity, on what basis did the heroes select the next quest if they won? How can you make an informed decision about which quest is best to play next if you are not allowed to read them? Do you pick all quests randomly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
The quest guide is supposed to be available to everyone from the start. There is no hidden information. Heroes should know the rewards so that they can make the best decisions of where to go. In the Shadow Rune, for instance, many of the quests had relics as rewards. If the quests were not attempted, then the OL got to use the relics in the final battle. Heroes want to do quests to get relics, the OL wants to avoid those (in general).

If your group likes to play the game as more of an RPG, then that's up to you. That's how my group like to play, but I leave it up to them if they want to look at the book or not. The game is intended to be more tactical with both sides having access to the same information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
If we have won, the Overlord told us what the available quests were roughly about, but no details. He told us the exact rules right before the quest has started.
Thanks for the answers. We want to play the game more like a RPG, but I will ask the hero team if they want to play it this time in a more tactical way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still choose to skip the narrative text, That's what we do. All italicised text is left to the overlord to reveal in his most appropriate voice. But the extra quest rules, including rewards, should be open information.

This also really does not prevent you from RPG play, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
We do it the same way regarding the italicized text. The last game was our first playthrough, unfortunately we made a few mistakes. But I will discuss the suggestions with my friends, thanks for the answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.