Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



http://ludobits.com/clarity-or-death/





7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
By 'specific content' you mean there are no decisions to be made to carry out the event?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
By 'specific content' you mean there are no decisions to be made to carry out the event?


I believe it means "the event the card references is easily identifiable within history."

In LoD, the event cards are highly specific and (almost always?) point at one event in particular. In ADP, although I disagree that the number of specific events is that low, a great many more of the cards, or at least their titles, are generic and can apply to multiple occurrences within the conflict.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Why does this mean you'll learn it more easily?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article:

Quote:
Because nothing helps us get into a design and its subject matter, understand and remember sophisticated rules and numerous historical facts, like a strong narrative.

And nothing builds a stronger narrative, of a broader appeal, than clarity. Distinctive characters, tangible facts and concrete language.


And:

Quote:
On the one hand you have one or two-word titles carefully stripped of any specific context, hinting at broad notions, factors, doctrines, developments, conjectures, etc. On the other, simple, informative headlines depicting narrow historical facts and figures.

The latter titles are written as newspaper headlines because they serve the same purpose: entice and inform. They don’t assume that you already know something about what they’re going to tell you. Perfect for a novice.

Now there ‘s nothing wrong with the former titles. It’s just that they’re not addressed to you as a beginner. You’ll come to appreciate them much more with repeated play, to enjoy how smoothly they flow in any which way, how they give speculation and conjecture a little more leeway. Because when populated with knowledge and experience, the abstract becomes synthetic, and the generic becomes versatile.

But you’d want to get into the game first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Uggg, I completely missed the link. Sorry for derailing this thread. Ignore me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still rate Cuba Libre as being an easier game to teach. However, due to the small map and everyone being next to one another from the beginning, It is more difficult to play than Liberty or Death. I got Falling Sky a couple of weeks ago and I haven't played it yet but I would rate learning the game on the simpler side of the COIN series (mainly because the factions are pretty well-defined) but time will tell if it is easier to play than the others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is funny is that I find Liberty or Death the hardest of the COIN games to get my head around.

Andean Abyss is by far the easiest, followed by Cuba Libre, Fire in teh Lake, and finally, A distant Plain.

I am ashamed that I haven't played Falling sky yet to see how it plays out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
What is funny is that I find Liberty or Death the hardest of the COIN games to get my head around.

Andean Abyss is by far the easiest, followed by Cuba Libre, Fire in teh Lake, and finally, A distant Plain.

I am ashamed that I haven't played Falling sky yet to see how it plays out.


For me, it's the combat. Ugh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
jackalope wrote:
What is funny is that I find Liberty or Death the hardest of the COIN games to get my head around.

Andean Abyss is by far the easiest, followed by Cuba Libre, Fire in teh Lake, and finally, A distant Plain.

I am ashamed that I haven't played Falling sky yet to see how it plays out.


For me, it's the combat. Ugh.


That and the victory conditions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
jackalope wrote:
What is funny is that I find Liberty or Death the hardest of the COIN games to get my head around.

Andean Abyss is by far the easiest, followed by Cuba Libre, Fire in teh Lake, and finally, A distant Plain.

I am ashamed that I haven't played Falling sky yet to see how it plays out.


For me, it's the combat. Ugh.


If you find the combat a bit tricky ... this iconographic layout may help ... I found it makes combat a breeze
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludobits
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, Cuba Libre can lead to pretty tense situations pretty quickly - but I agree that it is easy to teach.

I still have to try Falling Sky, it is next on my playlist. Another title that deviates substantially from canonical COIN to tackle a very interesting period. Can't wait to see how it goes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
That Battle infographic is awesome and very helpful.

The only thing it misses is to treat WP as Tories under Common Cause SA. But, that is generally a rare situation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this varying card specificity mean that certain COIN games feel more historical/true to life than others? I don't have ADP for example but have been very curious about it lately but would want a generic experience. Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludobits
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. All COIN games I've tried have felt very historical and thematic.

My point was mainly concerning the impact of a less explicit, spelled-out historical context on the first contact, the learning curve - my own learning curve at that. Your millage may vary.

But once I've got over that learning curve, every COIN game has made me feel immersed.

A Distant Plain was my first COIN game and I still enjoy it very much. It is very rich, and became much more fluid after I did some digging for context. The excellent playbook is always a good place to start. Doing a little googling about the event cards, reading about the War in Afghanistan, really helped me get into it, and make sense of quite a few rules.

That's why I like historical game in the first place.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.