Subject: Dice limitations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
The rule that dictates that a maximum of 5 red and 5 black dice can only be rolled per combat round. Are there gameplay considerations of this that I'm not seeing, or is this just a convenient excuse by FFG because they didn't add enough dice to the box?

I would prefer each side roll all the dice owed to them, given their unit composition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why they did it and I played the game not enough to really give an evidence based answer. But I think it has something to do with balance.

The Empire can get massive armies and with an unlimited amount of dice, they will win everything. The same goes for missions, although it is harder for leaders to get over the maximum of 10 dice.

And in the end, you will get to roll all of your dice. For example: you don't have to worry that 1 ship is gone, you still roll the maximum amount in following combat rounds. Or you compensate for the Ion Cannon or the Emperor's action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
With the big edge in numbers of units, the Empire can bully the Rebels and wipe their units off the board. The cap also gives a window for retreat by allowing the opponent to survive the first volley of combat (this can actually work in the Empire's favor sometimes if say three Mon Cals fail to take down a Star Destroyer).

The biggest implication for this is defending the Death Star, because if the Empire could keep ten TIEs there it would be virtually unstoppable.

One could consider the cap a logistical limit for close range combat firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the ring uses the same mechanic, only 5 (max) dice are used in combat.

You get 1 die per unit. In WOTR, the max 5 dice represents the maximum fighting potential of the force, if you have more than 5 units you only still roll 5 dice, but you are able to weather attrition better. As you lose units as long as you have 5 or more left after a round, your still figitng at maximum capacity. As armies attrit and go below 5 units thats when the combat effectiveness of the force degrades as you lose dice.

You can apply this thematic concept equaly in rebellion. Dice is not each unit, but represents the maximum firepower a force can exert on its opponent without loss of effectiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, it's probably for balance as much as anything. The cap helps the Rebels stay viable in many of these combats, at least long enough to accomplish what they need to do.

Thematically it could just represent that once a fleet gets over a certain size, coordination of attacks becomes harder and thus the smaller group can use that to their advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the dice limitations encourage players to use a combination of capital ships and starfighters to roll the most dice in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, I feel dumb. I never noticed this.

Would've made my time as the Rebels a whole lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a real world strategic element at work here. Where at a certain point adding more units into an engagement does not increase the effectiveness of your force. It's one reason why modern militaries send small engagements of a few thousand troops at a time and not the hundreds of thousands that used to happen in olden times even though populations and total military sizes have risen since then.

But yes it's a balance thing. The empire will almost always have a numbers advantage in fights, but if the rebels can get 5 and 5 then they're on equal terms in regard to firepower. It's far better than the Axis and Allies system and makes the strategy of card play more important than simply building a bigger force and getting lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Tiden
msg tools
A question on this.

I had 6 TIE-fighters in a space battle.
My opponent played a card wich reduced my number of dice by 2.
Should I roll 3 or 4 dice?

Thanks.

/Tomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You calculate the amount of dice including negative modifiers and then apply the limit:
RRG - Combat wrote:
• If an ability reduces the number of dice rolled, this
reduction applies before the limit of five dice is applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Tiden
msg tools
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question:
Palpatine has got an action card like this:"first round of combat only, opponent must roll 2 black dice less and 1 red die less".
Does it mean even zero dice for a round or there is at least 1 die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aledrugo1977 wrote:
A question:
Palpatine has got an action card like this:"first round of combat only, opponent must roll 2 black dice less and 1 red die less".
Does it mean even zero dice for a round or there is at least 1 die?

It can reduce the number of dice rolled to zero. There is nothing on the card that says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Funkhouser
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's to limit the Empire from being too strong. They can roll a metric CRAP ton of dice in one roll on turns 5+. It's all about balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.