Hide
8 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Push and Pull in Regards to Moving Past Opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lex Zypher
msg tools
Sorry if this is an obvious thing, but I'm finding a bit of confusion with the rules (only played twice.)

As far as I can tell, most things involving movement depend on the starting positions of the characters at the beginning of the pair activation. So, if you have "before activation: advance," you move towards the opponent, regardless of their position at the start of the beat vs after their activation.

Does the same hold true for pushing and pulling? If I don't pass over an opponent in movement, I either push them away or pull towards me. But if I pass over them, say because I used a Drive to move over their space, do I still pull towards me, or do I pull towards the position I started the pair activation at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement effects always refer to the board state at the beginning of the movement effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Coutts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You'd pull towards wherever you were at the beginning of the pull effect.

So if you have BA advance and OH pull, you move past them and pull towards where you stopped moving (possibly overhead and beyond where you stopped).

With BA pull and OH advance, you pull them past you and then advance (possibly in the opposite direction to the first example).

In the event of both activations having the same timing you can, as always, choose which to resolve first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Crouch
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If memory serves, Kajia has a few combinations that initiate separate pull effects at different phases of the beat, with the express intent of slamming an opponent back and forth to build Insect tokens - Biting Mandibles, for example.
The way these effects work, it is clear they were intended to calculate from the opponent's dynamic position.
If Kajia started at distance 1, they:
Before activating: Advance 1 (Crosses Opponent & gains token)
On Hit: Pull 1 (Opponent crosses & gains token)
On Damage: Pull 2 (Opponent Crosses & gains token)
After activating: Advance 1 (ends at range 1).
Net Benefit: Kajia landed 3 tokens +Damage, Advantageous positioning.
Mechanical representation: Kajia grasps her opponent with he mandible and slams them back and forth, as insects surge forward.

If all of those were calculated against Start of Beat positions, it would go:
Before Activating: Advance 1 (Crosses Opponent & gains token)
On Hit: Pull 1 (Pulls towards original position, opponent at range 2)
On Damage: Pull 2 (Pulls towards original position, Opponent at Range 4)
After Activating: Advance 1 (Advancing toward Start of Beat position, opponent at Range 5)
Net Benefit: Kajia gained 1 token +damage, disadvantageous positioning.
Mechanical Representation: Kajia grabs their opponent and a bug falls on them. Kajia flings them away, then walks away another step.

I believe this is a case where the results can help clarify the intent of the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Zypher
msg tools
That all makes a lot more sense, then.

What about what happens if your style says "BA: Advance 1 Space" and your base says "BA: Advance 1 or 2?" If you're adjacent to the opponent, do both effects occur at once, making you jump to one side, then the other? Or do you perform both BA effects simultaneously and continue moving past the opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would resolve the first BA effect, then the other. So, you would either Advance 1 (moving to the other side of the opponent), then Advance 1-2 (ending up either in your starting space or an additional space beyond that); or Advance 1-2, potentially ended adjacent to the opponent on the other side. As such, the three spaces you could end up on for the attack are:

(starting) ___PO___
(ending) __XXOX__

_ = Open Space
X = Potential End Space
P = Player's Starting Space
O = Opponent's space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Coutts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What Magius said, with an emphasis on the fact you can choose the order of activation for same time effects.

So you could BA advance 1 and then BA advance 1 or 2, or BA advance 1 or 2 and then BA advance 1, whichever was most advantageous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spazz
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trickyc66 wrote:
If memory serves, Kajia has a few combinations that initiate separate pull effects at different phases of the beat, with the express intent of slamming an opponent back and forth to build Insect tokens - Biting Mandibles, for example.
The way these effects work, it is clear they were intended to calculate from the opponent's dynamic position.
If Kajia started at distance 1, they:
Before activating: Advance 1 (Crosses Opponent & gains token)
On Hit: Pull 1 (Opponent crosses & gains token)
On Damage: Pull 2 (Opponent Crosses & gains token)
After activating: Advance 1 (ends at range 1).
Net Benefit: Kajia landed 3 tokens +Damage, Advantageous positioning.
Mechanical representation: Kajia grasps her opponent with he mandible and slams them back and forth, as insects surge forward.

I was reading the wording on her card very carefully, because I wanted to be sure I got it right, and although I do not have the card right in front of me now, I think it is very clear that the opponent only gets an insect token if they cross Kajia, not if she crosses them. So, in the above example, assuming that the opponent did not move past her during their activation, they would only get two tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.