Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to Essen for the first time. Coming from the U.S., I've volunteered to be a mule to bring over a couple of small items to BGGers I've never met before.

Is there a landmark at the Messe that might make an appropriate meeting spot? Maybe a statue or wall map or something like that?

Some place with a bench would be ideal. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I'm going to Essen for the first time. Coming from the U.S., I've volunteered to be a mule to bring over a couple of small items to BGGers I've never met before.

Is there a landmark at the Messe that might make an appropriate meeting spot? Maybe a statue or wall map or something like that?

a lot of us use the BGG booth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize there was such a thing! Where is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I didn't realize there was such a thing! Where is that?
someone usually posts a really good map of the whole spiel with booth locations of everything, so watch for that. I'm not sure where BGG is this year but I'm sure someone will post about it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I consulted the list of exhibitors on the Spiel website, but I didn't see an entry for BGG. I did find out where I can find Cottage Gardens, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Thanks.

I consulted the list of exhibitors on the Spiel website, but I didn't see an entry for BGG. I did find out where I can find Cottage Gardens, though.
if you have any questions or just want to chat Essen excitement feel free to pm me. It's my 10 th or 11 th year or something like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I may take you up on that. It's my first, and my friend backed out, so I'm traveling alone. Excitement and trepidation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
We are in Hall 6 - D110 this year. See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H.
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Thank you! I may take you up on that. It's my first, and my friend backed out, so I'm traveling alone. Excitement and trepidation!

Totally unrelated, just wanted to say that I love your avatar.
Oh, and welcome to Essen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott and Simon!

(I'm a dog lover.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:

The best landmark would be the Atrium, which is between the South Entrance and Hall 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be a bench to sit on in the atrium?

I'm just recuperating from a broken foot and I can imagine that I'd really appreciate a place to sit down, especially if I have to wait a while for someone to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about punctuality, I'm German and usually very punctual!

If you like beer, I would suggest the booth for Unlicht / BrauArt Britische Biere (last year it was Hall 2 E147-149). You can just casually stand there and drink beer (or cider) while waiting, though unfortunately there is no seating there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raevynn wrote:
Don't worry about punctuality, I'm German and usually very punctual!

ha ha! The beer sounds good but I think I might actually appreciate the bench more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Would there be a bench to sit on in the atrium?

I'm just recuperating from a broken foot and I can imagine that I'd really appreciate a place to sit down, especially if I have to wait a while for someone to show up.

There's a whole cafe in the Atrium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sounds like it has promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
debwentworth wrote:

a lot of us use the BGG booth

+d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've met people in the Galleria before - there is a small food place there - or even outside in the sun (it's always sunny in Germany) just beyond the Galleria food place. It's a lot less busy, except for when the MathTrade meetup is going on, then it's absolute mayhem.

The bit outside the Galleria is really nice to unwind for a little before heading back into the halls - some peace and quiet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found a map from a previous year (This will be slightly inaccurate this year) here:

The place I'm talking about is where it says 'Tor 2'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually try to meet people at booths or in the yard (if it's not raining). Small booths in the back of Hall 3 or the "low profile" halls like 7, 6 and 4 this year, should be easier to meet people than if you try to go for Asmodee, Pegasus, or Heidelberger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the seating area near the Galeria food court was a lot smaller last year - even if you bought your food there, there was hardly any space to sit down. It was nice to sit outside for a while though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions, thanks very much. I can imagine that stepping outside might be welcome. Let's hope for sunny, warm weather. Germany in October - it's not guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Stürmer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Good suggestions, thanks very much. I can imagine that stepping outside might be welcome. Let's hope for sunny, warm weather. Germany in October - it's not guaranteed.

Actually we are having the warmest September ever since they have been recording temperatures.

30°C for almost 2 weeks now. It's supposed to go down to the 20°C over the weekend but still expected to be stable after that.

So no guarantee in the weather though.
But unless it is raining the yard will be OK. We've been sitting there in the sun even if it was just 5-10° as the area is very well protected against wind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can also head down into the Grugapark right there too, for a bit of foilage and shade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
I've met people in the Galleria before - there is a small food place there - or even outside in the sun (it's always sunny in Germany) just beyond the Galleria food place. It's a lot less busy, except for when the MathTrade meetup is going on, then it's absolute mayhem.

The bit outside the Galleria is really nice to unwind for a little before heading back into the halls - some peace and quiet. :)

The maths trade is not meeting in the Galleria this year, so that wont be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.