Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Replay Value rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Rose
msg tools
yukDoes anyone else have concerns about the replay value of this game and it's scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cemehiden wrote:
yukDoes anyone else have concerns about the replay value of this game and it's scenarios?

I view it more like a lite-RPG so no. I can buy more adventures (deluxe/mythos packs) or write my own (Fan scenarios).

If you view it like a boardgame, than it is not ticket to ride or Mare Nostrum which have very high replayability as the interaction is between players.
Here the focus is on the story, and while I can see myself enjoy a few replays per scenario (different deck/difficulty) it is going to loss its shine after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played some LotR scenarios a dozen or more times and they're still fun. Different decks, different numbers of players and the vagaries of the encounter deck keep the games fun and exciting. So, while i don't expect to get 500 plays out of this like I have with Race for the Galaxy, I expect I will still play these scenarios enough to get my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I think it will still be fun to replay scenarios on a brutal difficulty after you know what everything does. I just hope there are enough deckbuilding options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG does what they did with LotR:LCG and make Nightmare versions of each scenario then that will be great.

Like others have mentioned, most of the replayability will come with the deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the deckbuilding core and the number of Investigators in just the first two releases, I can't imagine two playthroughs being too similar other than in broad strokes. There should also be different encounters aside from the main and thematic ones, as I assume there will be plenty of randomly selected general enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also like to point out that fan made LotR:LCG scenarios exist. You could even get the PDF file and print the quest cards out with decent artwork.

Surely you could do the same for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danwarr wrote:
If FFG does what they did with LotR:LCG and make Nightmare versions of each scenario then that will be great.

There should be no need, every scenario already has 4 difficulty levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just keep in mind that the core set by itself probably won't have tremendous replay value. It's meant as a foundation of the game, in how it plays, how campaigns work (albeit shortened), and to give players a basic set of cards and of course other core components.

The replayability comes with expansions and new cards and new card synergies, at which point the core set campaign will become more interesting to replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

According to a review just put up recently, there is a strong story arc to each campaign - so, you can replay with different Investigators and equipment, but you know the main idea of the story.

It would be like re-reading a mystery novel over and over when you already know "who did it."

I would think the you could play each story arc two or three times and then you will want a new story.

Our group plays Arkham Horror board game about twice per year and I have all the expansions. We have probably played 15-20 games. If I just had the base game and we had played that much, I know I would be tired of it because I would start seeing the same Encounter and Mythos cards on a regular basis.

Hopefully, FFG will have enough extra stories in the expansions that this will not be a problem (or a heavy expense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:
Hopefully, FFG will have enough extra stories in the expansions that this will not be a problem (or a heavy expense)

I am sure there is plenty planned for the AH:TCG pipeline. I do not share the hope that it will not prove expensive to get a regular "fix"; imo, it will be a money pit.

Although greatly interested, it is for this reason I have not placed a pre-order. If I got this, and it turned out to be half as good as the initial reports indicate, I would be hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
or write my own (Fan scenarios).

Amen brother. I always find a way to customize my games, or make up new scenarios. Games like this are meant to be somewhat of a sandbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:
According to a review just put up recently, there is a strong story arc to each campaign - so, you can replay with different Investigators and equipment, but you know the main idea of the story.

It would be like re-reading a mystery novel over and over when you already know "who did it."

I would think the you could play each story arc two or three times and then you will want a new story.

I'm one who re-reads books, so I'm not too bothered by this. I figure it'll have at least the same level of replay as warhammer quest ACG and then the expansions will roll in. So while not infinitely repayable... enough to be well worth my time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
I'm one who re-reads books, so I'm not too bothered by this. I figure it'll have at least the same level of replay as warhammer quest ACG and then the expansions will roll in. So while not infinitely repayable... enough to be well worth my time and money.

Likewise. I feel like even if I know what's going to happen more or less, I will still enjoy playing with each different investigator. Also scenarios seem to give different options that could be fun to try out on later attempts. Then once more deck options and characters become available down the road, I'll probably enjoy it again, even though the basic story is the same. Of course, the fact that I have the memory of a rutabaga is also a plus in this instance. So I'm also sure it will be worth it for me.

I have, however, realized that my initial choice of investigator for the initial playthrough is going to be significant - I'll have to ponder this further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
thomasrobb wrote:

Like how LotR players play each scenario once before tossing it out, since at that point they've already seen all the quest cards? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this topic is useless, everything said everything suggested ...

So I recommend looking in the older topics befor starting a new one.

But did we discussed if you need 2 Core Boxes for 14 Players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.