Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first legend 3 times... and I have a few questions:
Comparing it to Mage Knight...

The random events of Andor... Do not feel that random. Same set of cards produce the same basic effects as the fog. Do any of the expansions open up more possibilities?

Are there more legends then just the 5 available? Once the "puzzle" is solved, is there any reason to keep playing?

Upgrades - there are minimal upgrades... once again, how can this game change from playthrough to playthrough?

I WANT to like the game. It is gorgeous, and I love that the company supports the product with updates and free legends. But... this feels like a one off...

My posts from the Solitaire Games on Your table:

"Gave it another go tonight. Set it up, and fired away!!

Archer and Warrior. Made sure to buff up the archer during the tutorial... and off I went!!

Only killed the enemies I had to. Ran off near the dwarf mines... and realized that there was absolutely no way for me to cross that last bridge. into space 47. GROAN. Lost again. And I thought I fought perfectly... What could I have done?

Time to read articles... time to watch videos...

Oh... I can go AROUND the river? Space 63 would have been key.

Nice...

Not sure if I love this game or hate it... Mage Knight is so much better of a game... at least so far."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the fantasy theme, this is a very different puzzle game than Mage Knight. I would agree that I enjoy Mage Knight more, but you might have to adjust your expectations of Andor if you want to enjoy it. Legends of Andor is a story-driven scenario puzzle that involves figures out the best course of action as the story evolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it definitely gets better than legend 1, which is just an introduction. Each legend is still a puzzle, but they are their own puzzles, solving 1 does not mean you know the answer to them all. There is limited variability, but legend 3 is awesome and variable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simpsonps121 wrote:
The random events of Andor... Do not feel that random. Same set of cards produce the same basic effects as the fog. Do any of the expansions open up more possibilities?

In the base box, legends 1, 2, 4, and 5 are fairly "scripted". Legend 3 has variable setup, variable end-game, and more random events.

Quote:
Are there more legends then just the 5 available? Once the "puzzle" is solved, is there any reason to keep playing?

Legend 3 is as replayable as other typical co-ops like Pandemic. There are a few official bonus legends available, as well as a bunch of fan-made legends (many only in German). There is one big-box expansion, and one of the small-box expansions adds a bunch more variety to the gameplay (including goals and events).

Quote:
Upgrades - there are minimal upgrades... once again, how can this game change from playthrough to playthrough?

I don't think legend 1 includes many upgrades. By the time you get to legend 3, I believe you will have seen almost all of them from the base box. Basically what's on the merchant card, plus a few others like the herbs and runestones.

I would say that if you play legend 2, and then legend 3 twice, you'll know exactly whether it's a game for you or not. Before then, you might know if you hate it, but you probably won't know whether you dislike/like/love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely is not Mage Knight, and will not scratch the same itch.

In terms of replayability, some legends are quite replayable, and there is also a lot of fan material produced. Still, it may not be the same level of replayability that you are expecting coming from Mage Knight.

Not that there isn't any, but it's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend 1 is basically an intro to the game. Legend 2 introduces some more stuff. Legend 3 is the one you want to come back to and play over and over after you finish the game. Legend 4 uses the other side of the board. Legend 5 is the "final battle" scenario.

I've never played Mage Knight, but I can say that Andor is very different than other games I've played, even other coop games. You have to balance completing objectives with killing monsters. If you focus on one and ignore the other, you lose. And time is not on your side. Every hour matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simpsonps121 wrote:
Played the first legend 3 times...

I hope you don't mean Legend 1 since that's just a tutorial?

I also have a love/hate relationship with this game. I think it's a fantastic game for the most part. The artwork is gorgeous, and I love the gameplay, quests, and combat. It's just really demoralizing and so very frustrating when you lose. The game just isn't very forgiving at all. Kill just one too many monsters or the wrong monster early in the game, and it can be the difference between winning and losing.

Legend 3 is the legend that provides the most variability. You should be able to replay that one a dozen times at least. The Star Shield expansion also has a Legend with even more variability. I feel like that one could be replayed hundreds of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wrote the review about replayability of each Legend: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1637645/overview-all-legend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the replayability is good enough. You only have to figure out if you like the game or not. This is a different game than your typical dungeon crawler. It is not descent, it is not mage knight. It is legends of andor. A beautiful and brilliant game, but different. Just give it a chance and stop comparing it to other games with a similar theme.

Lastly, try different legends than just the first one. Legend 1 is a tutorial. It is not particular interesting and once you spot the way to victory there is nothing else to learn here. From scenario 2 and onward the legends get more exciting, more variable, start to include bosses, variable goals, and other challenges. There are multiple free bonus legends available for download that further expand your options. If you like the game, the mini expansion star shield adds the most repayable legend yet. With 6 different bosses, variable objectives and random monster placement this legend can be played dozens of times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lastly, try different legends than just the first one. Legend 1 is a tutorial. It is not particular interesting and one you spot the way around the river there is nothing else to learn here.

I'm looking to play Legend of Andor soon. I'm a little upset that I read that. Please, refrain from spoiling scenarios this way. Now I can't forget that that's how I should approach the first scenario.

Edited to be clear where the spoiler was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
simpsonps121 wrote:
Played the first legend 3 times...

I hope you don't mean Legend 1 since that's just a tutorial?
Yes, he did.
simpsonps121 wrote:
Only killed the enemies I had to. Ran off near the dwarf mines... and realized that there was absolutely no way for me to cross that last bridge. into space 47. GROAN. Lost again. And I thought I fought perfectly... What could I have done?
"Legend 1" needs a little bit of observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend 1 and 2 are tutorial quests, Legend 3 is when the actual game begins.

So I recommend skipping to 2 because you've played 1 enough. No need to go through the motions now that you've seen the trick.

2 will give you the rest of the mechanics, then 3 is where the real game begins.

I think a number of people get turned off by quest 1 or 2, because the game doesn't make it super clear that they're tutorials intended to be played once or twice just to get the basics down.

If you're not turned off by the "killing monsters advances the narrator" mechanic, then I think it's likely you'll enjoy this once you get to 3.

And if you don't like it after trying 3, you probably aren't going to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:-) Good responses!

As to spoilers... yea... Sorry about that!

I don't care about the killing and advancing the time track. I sort of actually like that. Means that I have a job to do... better get it done.

I will work on 2 tonight and see what happens. And I have Star and Shield in an order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simpsonps121 wrote:

It wasn't anything you wrote. I edited my post to be more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Good god, you played legend 1 three times? No wonder you're worried about the game. Legend 1 isn't the game.

But yes, as others have said this is a Euro gamey puzzler, that is dressed to look like a fantasy fighting game or dungeon crawler. Catches many people out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
AlexFS wrote:
This definitely is not Mage Knight, and will not scratch the same itch.

In terms of replayability, some legends are quite replayable, and there is also a lot of fan material produced. Still, it may not be the same level of replayability that you are expecting coming from Mage Knight.

Not that there isn't any, but it's different.

This is why I get annoyed when people in the Mage Knight forums constantly recommend LOA to people who are looking for more games like MK. LOA and MK have nothing in common besides the theme.

And both being mind numbingly boring games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simpsonps121 wrote:

Those of you who wrote that minor spoiler can go back and edit your posts to hide it (using that SP button). It will help anyone in the future who reads this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
LOA and MK have nothing in common besides the theme.
I wouldn't say so. Both games are 'thinky' and 'puzzle-like'. MK is a lot more complex, though. I do think they should appeal to the same kind of players. They sure both appeal to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I'm looking to play Legend of Andor soon. I'm a little upset that I read that. Please, refrain from spoiling scenarios this way. Now I can't forget that that's how I should approach the first scenario.

I'm sorry you feel that way and have edited my post. However, in my defense:

- The OP describes this particular spoiler more clearly than I did.
- In my opinion this is not realy part of the puzzle, but rather a map feature that is often overlooked by new players.
- The game is over 4 years old now. I felt I could discuss this particular feature without spoiling things for anyone.

So, again my apologies, but I am pretty sure that your enjoyment of the game will not be any less because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having both games I feel I need to jump in on this..MK is a more complex and much much longer game and has more of an epic feel to it.
Andor.. to me, is a biy over hyped its good don't get me wrong.but after a few missions/legends it starts to feel a bit samey.and even adding the star expansion it just isn't floating my boat anymore..its even on the trades on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way and have edited my post. However, in my defense:

- The OP describes this particular spoiler more clearly than I did.
- In my opinion this is not realy part of the puzzle, but rather a map feature that is often overlooked by new players.
- The game is over 4 years old now. I felt I could discuss this particular feature without spoiling things for anyone.

So, again my apologies, but I am pretty sure that your enjoyment of the game will not be any less because of it.

You're right the OP does add spoilers as well, but for some reason I hadn't read his post from the solitaire forum, only the first half of the post with the actual questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update... Beat the first mission, set up mission 2....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you first put the giant dragon model on the board, or run around in a mine dodging fireballs, you will really start to have a fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:

And both being mind numbingly boring games

Good thing you're here, posting in the Legends of Andor forum, letting us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Beat Legend 2. The game does open up some, but it really does not have a whole ton of options for you to upgrade your character. Maybe 5 things to upgrade? That limits your possibilities... that is good and bad. Good... less choices. Bad... less control.

Spoiler the playthrough:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Beat Legend 2.

For reference, I am going to split the board into 3 sections - correlating to the rivers. Main section is the castle, North section is with the great tree, the east is with the dwarf mines.

Game started innocently enough. Enemies on the board, looking for the witch. Searched through all the main fog. Nothing. Grabbed both farmers.

Moved the archer to the east, and the first fog revealed the witch. Also revealed the information about the runes. They all end up in the north section. (These dice are weird...) And the orc with the medicine is also in the east section. That is fortunate...

But... I have the warrior in the main section, and now 2 wolves are approaching. Ooops. I miscount... and they go right into the castle on the first turn. Now 4 enemies are in there... (I have 5 shields because of the peasants.) And... there are 2 enemies ready to enter the castle... The warrior is a strength of 5... I might be ok. Warrior kills one gor, then moves into the castle...

The archer moves to the merchant, buys the hawk, then engages the arc carrying the medicine. Easy win. Out goes the hawk. Medicine delivered.

Onto the last round. I have all of my items unused... Witches brew, extra movement etc. So we go sprinting off to the north to fight the tower. Round 1 I roll a 6 with my archer. Double it with the witches brew. 12. Between the strength and the roll of the warrior... I am looking pretty. But the skrall rolls 2 6's. REALLY!!!! ARGHGHGHGH But I am able to do 9 points of damage. (I did 27 pts of damage, he did 18.) Now onto the next round. Warrior can only fight 2 more rounds. Archer has at least 3 rounds. I roll a 5. Witches brew! Now at 10. Warrior rolls well, and the Skrall rolls a 3. Game, set match.

Thoughts -
1. Witches brew is incredibly powerful. Must buy.
2. The game board is absolutely beautiful. My dad came over (Not a board gamer by any stretch) and immediately was drawn to it.
3. The rules are simple, easy to remember.

I do like the ability to look at the board and try to figure out a way to get things done. I just wish there were more items that I could buy, or different ways to affect the game. It is relatively simple in the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.