Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be visiting Ottawa for a few days (9/23-25), and just wondering if anyone will be gaming and maybe I can join.

Thanks in advance!

Henry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Henry,

Hope you enjoy your stay in the Capital. Well first thing is, what part of Ottawa will you be in? There are some groups that meet up regularly on weekends at some local bars and restaurants, but again that all depends on where in town you'll be.

I mean throughout the week here the are game groups all over the place, but one might be located at the western end of the city and on another night another group in the eastern end which could be up to 40ish minute drive depending on traffic.

We also have a couple of board game cafes on offer too!

Some more details might help Ottawa BGGers formulate a better answer for you.

Can you tell I worked in tourism!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chuck!

I will be near Algonquin College, but it's no big deal to drive. I'm more concerned with parking. Is it free/ok to park on the streets around town after 7pm?

Thanks for all the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Henry - if you haven't already done so, I suggest perusing the Ontario forum - it has regular posts for the weekly meetups. Then as our local travel assistant has noted above, us locals can give you more details on any that you think might work best for you.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
Hi Henry - if you haven't already done so, I suggest perusing the Ontario forum - it has regular posts for the weekly meetups. Then as our local travel assistant has noted above, us locals can give you more details on any that you think might work best for you.

Good luck!

Yes, I did look around the Ontario forum, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like any regular gaming for Friday or Saturday. I do see one for Sunday, but I think it starts late, which is when I will be heading out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for your parking question....It all depends on which street! A lot of places downtown do go free on weekends but check the signage and/or the pay meter that's probably nearby.

For me, my preferred option is going to The Loft/Level One downtown on a weekend if there isn't some gaming event going on.

It's too bad you're not in town this weekend as there's a nice, small con called Kanata-Con happening on Friday and Saturday.

I do believe that you are correct about the evening start for the Sunday gaming downtown.

Other gaming cafes/spaces of note include Monopolatte (in Chinatown) and the Kessel Run (in Orleans). The latter would be the furthest to drive to from your "home base".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify KanataCON is this weekend 16 & 17th not the weekend in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottawa Board Gaming Community
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Henry!

On Sunday the 25th, we'll be holding a weekly gaming night at Hometown on Bank street. We play all sorts of games from heavier Battlestar Galactica-type games to lighter games like Ticket to Ride or Codenames.

The event is completely free to attend, and there is an adequate amount of free parking. The organizers bring plenty of games, so no need for you to bring your own... With that said- you're welcome to bring any games you might want to play!

You can also take a look through our collection and make a request to ensure we bring any games you might want to play.

I hope you enjoy Ottawa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OttawaBoardGaming wrote:
Hi Henry!

On Sunday the 25th, we'll be holding a weekly gaming night at Hometown on Bank street. We play all sorts of games from heavier Battlestar Galactica-type games to lighter games like Ticket to Ride or Codenames.

The event is completely free to attend, and there is an adequate amount of free parking. The organizers bring plenty of games, so no need for you to bring your own... With that said- you're welcome to bring any games you might want to play!

You can also take a look through our collection and make a request to ensure we bring any games you might want to play.

I hope you enjoy Ottawa!

I was excited to see your Sunday event, but I realized that would be the time I will be heading out. I should have planned my trip better in the future!

Thanks everyone for the info and your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries Henry,

I think your best bet might be the cafes or gaming spaces. You might be able to find some locals looking for a game or two. As I mentioned, my preferred place for both gamers and non-gamers is the Loft and their newish video game space Level One. They've a pretty good library and generally busy throughout late afternoon and evening as it's near one of the universities in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckyparadise wrote:
As for your parking question....It all depends on which street! A lot of places downtown do go free on weekends but check the signage and/or the pay meter that's probably nearby.

Be careful though because the city does have a 3 hour by-law. If you're parked in one spot for over 3 hours you can get a ticket. If you're parking on the street overnight, hopefully it's in a residential area where they're not likely to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.