United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
The "This game sucks" thread is still the most recent thread? Caverna needs some sweet lovin'.

Now granted, this game has come under a bit of criticism the past few months. If you like a little more of a struggle then I get it. No harm done. But Caverna has it's own merits. In many ways it was designed to alter a few of the elements in Agricola that a lot of people (including myself) felt bothersome. I understand and accept that these same issues I have with Agricola are the ones that typically make people prefer it over Caverna. Fair enough. They are two different games that cross a lot of the same territory.

Is it possible to have a thread where people only mention why they like Caverna? Not why they like it over X or Y (those threads seem to deteriorate quickly), but why it's a good game overall? It's still ranked #5.

I mention this as I'm bringing it out tonight with my gamer friend. Been a few weeks. We're both looking forward to it. Games of Caverna always seem to follow previous nights where we play Suburbia.

Why I think Caverna is great?

Firstly, though setup can be long even if it's in Plano boxes, as a 2-player game we find Caverna to be fantastic. As 2 players who know the game well we can get through a game in 45-60 minutes. That's a mighty sweet spot of a time frame for a game relative to it's depth. Granted play time increased exponentially with player count it seems.

Secondly, I just love how it looks and plays. Unlike some, we haven't played this to death. I don't see that ever happening for us. We just don't obsess over it like some do. As a result we try a lot of different strats each time we play. There are so many different strategies to be used. And there's enough room for overlapping strategies between players, but toes get stepped on. Just love the dynamics.

Thirdly, I love this game at any player count. Well, 5 is probably too much. The down time between turns is too great. But at 3 and 4 players the game changes a bit and the play is different at each player count. And they're all fun and offer something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own Caverna yet, but will hopefully be getting it soon. I'm excited to play it, but because I preordered A Feast for Odin I'm nervous about committing to this one at this time.

Tell me about all the awesome reasons I'll enjoy it and why I shouldn't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It really is an awesome game. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a random setup. Lately I've preferred Agricola: ACBaS with both expansions for this reason but Caverna is still our go to game if we are in the mood for something heavier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Olivier Fiset
Canada
flag msg tools
The lack of a random setup is really what makes the game shine IMO. It becomes a game of optimization and efficiency, while having to make sure that you always have a plan B and C because you might get blocked from your initial plan. Being able to shift strategies on a whim is key to winning in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.