$20.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'Gate appears' from monster question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Small question.
Some monsters (e.g. Nightgaunt) open a gate as part of their task.

1) What if I kill the monster before doing any other tasks? Will the gate be spawned immediately, and I have to move to the streets?
2) What if I kill the monster as the last thing I do on a card. Will I have beaten the card? Will the gate appear on the next card?

Thanks!

EDIT: I only just realized I didn't post this in the Gates of Arkham board. Hope that's ok!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you complete the monster task you collect the monster as a trophy, so you'll have to create the portal right when you complete the task as well.

1) You can choose which adventure card the gate opens from, so it doesn't necessarily kick you out of the current adventure. That's a possibility though, in which case you'd defeat the monster then I think your turn would end as you be in the streets.

2) In this case it'd depend where the gate opened. If you place it on another adventure then you'd still defeat the one your on. If you open it on the same adventure you're on then you'd end your turn in the streets and the adventure would remain.

Opening the gate is a requirement for beating the monster and the adventure, so that has to be resolved first.

The rules say:
Quote:
When an effect opens a gate or places an Other World card, take the top card of the Other World deck and place it facedown below the
six Arkham Adventure cards. Then take two gate markers of matching color, place one gate marker on the Other World card, and place the
other on an Arkham adventure that does not contain another gate or a seal marker. Any investigators at that Arkham adventure are moved to the Streets of Arkham.


So unless there is a specific instruction for where the gate opens, you get to choose the adventure card that gets blocked. Just try and put it somewhere else so it doesn't wreck your turn.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know anything about Gates of Arkham and "gates" in particular.

But, the base game rules state (pg17): "If a player completes a monster task, he collects the monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase...." This is even true if you fail the Adventure card. In that case, you collect the marker before Adventure penalties are applied (just in case it matters).

So my question would be, do the rules state the gate is placed when the monster task is complete? Or when the monster is collected as a trophy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
sjliver wrote:
I do not know anything about Gates of Arkham and "gates" in particular.

But, the base game rules state (pg17): "If a player completes a monster task, he collects the monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase...." This is even true if you fail the Adventure card. In that case, you collect the marker before Adventure penalties are applied (just in case it matters).

So my question would be, do the rules state the gate is placed when the monster task is complete? Or when the monster is collected as a trophy?


The monster in question is the Nightgaunt. One of the requirements for completing its task is to open a game. So, that task is actually completed only if you spawn a gate into the game, it's not something related to actually gaining the trophy of the monster
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
sjliver wrote:
I do not know anything about Gates of Arkham and "gates" in particular.

But, the base game rules state (pg17): "If a player completes a monster task, he collects the monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase...." This is even true if you fail the Adventure card. In that case, you collect the marker before Adventure penalties are applied (just in case it matters).

So my question would be, do the rules state the gate is placed when the monster task is complete? Or when the monster is collected as a trophy?


The monster in question is the Nightgaunt. One of the requirements for completing its task is to open a game. So, that task is actually completed only if you spawn a gate into the game, it's not something related to actually gaining the trophy of the monster


Was something I tried to touch upon in my response, but thank you for the better wording . What about the instances where you have to beat the Nightgaunt as the final task? Especially with all but the current adventure being attempted being sealed or gated?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
lomdr wrote:
Was something I tried to touch upon in my response, but thank you for the better wording . What about the instances where you have to beat the Nightgaunt as the final task? Especially with all but the current adventure being attempted being sealed or gated?


That's a very good question.

Spawning the gate is a requirement on the monster task, so, you need to open that gate in order to complete it. In the advocated case, with all seals on the other adventures (or no other adventures in the case of an epic Shudde M'ell game), you must open the gate at the adventure you're at.

As per rules, you're instantly moved to the Streets of Arkham.

But.

There's nowhere written that your Resolution Phase ends. You cannot move anywhere else, of course (moving from the Streets happens in the Movement Phase, and that Phase has already happened), but you are still in your Resolution Phase. What happens now? All tasks on the adventure are completed. Core set rulebook (revised edition, pag. 9) reads:

When all tasks on the Adventure card are completed, the
player has successfully resolved the adventure. He returns all
investigator markers on that card to the entrance sheet. He also
returns all assigned and discarded dice to the dice pool.


The key of this paragraph is that you need to complete all tasks on the Adventure card (the fact that you move back to the Entrance is the consequence, and that rulebook was written before similar effects could be taken into account), and you've done it.

Thus, the adventure is completed, the gate (and the matching OW card) as per rules are discarded and you gain the rewards.

Or, at least, this is my reading. I remember while testing / editing the rules we debated this eventuality, but I didn't remember Sam's ruling at that time. You may want to ask FFG directly for an official answer.

In any case, this situation is very niche: part of an effective strategy in Gates is keeping the seals under control, so that you usually spawn gates at easy adventures that can be easily completed afterwards, to avoid bigger problems in the future (just saying, but I agree, it can happen)

Hope this helps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.